talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Real Madrid (5) 2-3 (4) Chelsea - Tuesday 12th April, 2022 (2nd Leg)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The title was changed to Real Madrid (5) 2-3 (4) Chelsea - Tuesday 12th April, 2022 (2nd Leg)
  • Administrator
1 minute ago, Bluewolf said:

15 minutes left.... need to dig deep

can be proud of the performance nonetheless, even if it does stay how it is. I would be if this was mine showing this level of performance after pretty much being down and out last week. 

5 minutes ago, Stan said:

can be proud of the performance nonetheless, even if it does stay how it is. I would be if this was mine showing this level of performance after pretty much being down and out last week. 

Can't fault the heart and effort... as @Cicero said, we have been undone by some moments of brilliance which has made the game as good as it's been... 

Great effort from the lads but when senior players are making a calamity of errors you know it isn't meant to be. Don't think we would've made it to the final but you never know. With everything going on surrounding the club it would've still been nice to get as far as possible. A Liverpool v City final would be a fantastic one. 

Regroup. Rest up. Focus on Sunday. Still one more trophy to play for. 

1 hour ago, Asura said:

Great fight by Chelsea and Im not sure if that Alonso's goal was really a handball. Seems like referees helping Real Madrid again. 

It was the correct decision by the letter of the law.

Required a bit more focus at the end... If you want to do epic at the home of epic, you have to know when to cut it out and be smart. Chelsea were unfortunate tbh, but that sort of thing is what the Santiago Bernabéu’s history is built upon.

2 hours ago, Asura said:

Great fight by Chelsea and Im not sure if that Alonso's goal was really a handball. Seems like referees helping Real Madrid again. 

59 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

It was the correct decision by the letter of the law.

Although it could be argued that it was accidental and didn't change the course or direction of the ball before the goal was scored we can't have it both ways... If the letter of the law states a handball is a handball no matter what then those rules apply to all and there is no grey area and I would prefer that to an on the spot decision that can be interpreted one way in one game and another for another game.. Keep it clear and simple and no matter how harsh it might seem at the time everyone knows the score... 

The team made a superb effort to get back in the match and after the third Courtois bemused face was a picture. Don't know if that was due to the scoreline or that Werner had put one past him. 

Chelsea missed too many good chances and Madrid were composed when they needed to be.

Must have been a cracking match for the neutrals. 

4 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

Although it could be argued that it was accidental and didn't change the course or direction of the ball before the goal was scored we can't have it both ways... If the letter of the law states a handball is a handball no matter what then those rules apply to all and there is no grey area and I would prefer that to an on the spot decision that can be interpreted one way in one game and another for another game.. Keep it clear and simple and no matter how harsh it might seem at the time everyone knows the score... 

It's a difficult one because they keep changing the law. However, I think it's a bit clearer this season because it only applies to the goalscorer. I also get the argument that it's a bit ridiculous that had Alonso passed the ball in that position and Chelsea scored the goal would have been allowed. 

1 hour ago, DNA said:

Kante was really poor, he was Chelsea’s weak spot the entire game, makes you wonder whether players at this level should be out playing whilst fasting.

At fault for both goals. Carelessly giving the ball away for the first and (in un-Kante like fashion) avoiding the ball like the plague expecting Reuben Loftus-Cheek to get it. 

And it's been all season. Standards have dropped. Last year's Champions League Final was his peak. He's declined ever since. With Gallagher coming back, Kante should be used sparingly. 

• Administrator
30 minutes ago, Asura said:

his hand was tucked in though?

Doesn't matter. That's not the rule. If it touches the hand, accidentally or not, and tucked in or not, and that player scores then it's handball. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived