• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Romelu Lukaku Returns to Inter Milan

• The title was changed to Romelu Lukaku Wanted by Inter Milan
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Marina and Buck were supposed to leave at the end of August but their move is now imminent. 

Wonder if Boehly blames them for the Lukaku shambles. 

From an investor's perspective, I think Marina's recent track record would give many people cause for concern.

Aside from the Lukaku fee negotiation + wages negotiation looking like an absolute disaster, she's let players like Tomori leave for Milan and be a key player for a title winning side, let Guehi go and he had a great season becoming a full international, while letting the contracts for two CBs expire this season.

But honestly, I think that's a bit harsh on her because if you take the bad with her time in charge... you also have to take the good. She had a successful track record at the club with some high profile failures - but a part of that is also down to how Abramovich had the club operate & that sort of short-termism that has defined Chelsea for a very very long time was just something she had to work with. Seems unfair to just look at recent failures without seeing how she'd do with a new regime and a new way of the club operating.

At the same time, it's easier for a club to start operating differently if you bring in people that aren't used to working in a very different fashion. And it's easier for Boehly to pull the trigger when he's got these things to look at that indicate she might not be giving Chelsea the best return on investment.

27 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

From an investor's perspective, I think Marina's recent track record would give many people cause for concern.

Aside from the Lukaku fee negotiation + wages negotiation looking like an absolute disaster, she's let players like Tomori leave for Milan and be a key player for a title winning side, let Guehi go and he had a great season becoming a full international, while letting the contracts for two CBs expire this season.

I think people might look back and think that but in fairness I think she got things over the line done and dusted.. It would be fair to say that when bringing players in or letting players go she would not have done so had the coaches and club deemed them worth keeping at the time, she was just the person that sealed the deals..

If Tuchel for example had informed her/them that certain players were no longer part of his plans or that he needed certain players brought in then she would normally deliver... It did help of course that Abramovich would be onside for all those slightly over the top signings that the club probably won't entertain again for a while.. When it came to juggling the books with ins and outs it would be right to say she probably got that right which is why we have seen the club start spending more or less within it's means over the past few seasons.. 

4 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

I think people might look back and think that but in fairness I think she got things over the line done and dusted.. It would be fair to say that when bringing players in or letting players go she would not have done so had the coaches and club deemed them worth keeping at the time, she was just the person that sealed the deals..

If Tuchel for example had informed her/them that certain players were no longer part of his plans or that he needed certain players brought in then she would normally deliver... It did help of course that Abramovich would be onside for all those slightly over the top signings that the club probably won't entertain again for a while.. When it came to juggling the books with ins and outs it would be right to say she probably got that right which is why we have seen the club start spending more or less within it's means over the past few seasons.. 

I agree with you. Really her job wasn't to be the one who evaluates talent, it was just her job to get deals done.

It sort of goes with that other bit I posted - she did a good job for the way Chelsea operated under Abramovich. Is it harsh to believe she couldn't have done well with Chelsea under new ownership operating a different way? It's hard to say because her time at Chelsea just was under one owner. She seems smart and competent tbh, I'm sure she could have adjusted with time.

At the same time, if you've bought a club and you want to change how it operates... from a business perspective it might just simply be easier to replace her with someone who understands how the club will be operating under new ownership from day one of taking the job. Whereas there could be some growing pains as she adjusts to the new model.

Looking at it from a new investors standpoint though - I think the decision makes sense more than it doesn't make sense.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Looking at it from a new investors standpoint though - I think the decision makes sense more than it doesn't make sense.

Yea, I don't knock the new owners wanting a fresh start because they clearly want to go in a different direction and we will have to see how that pans out in the long term but I do take a bit of an exception to some media reports trying to infer that it's because she dropped the ball with the Lukaku signing... Some are saying she let him got to Everton for 28Mill then got him back last season for a whopping 97Mill and now is trying to get rid of her mistake and anybody that reads anything more in that, that would suggest that this is just on her need their brains dusting out... 

Lukaku would have been sold on for the then market value back in 2014 as a player who had little impact and was clearly struggling to get in the side.. His form since then has been ok really as he seems to score 1 in every 2 odd games which is not too bad and his value has gone up over the years, It's certainly debatable if his true value was around 97Mill but we wanted him back and paid over the odds to get him and that's that.. I also think that some quarters completely over estimate her involvement at ground level.. to suggest she was so involved in all areas that she could decide who the coach was letting go and who he was getting in is laughable... 

I suppose it should be no surprise that the reports are more drama based than fact based... 

2 hours ago, Cicero said:

It’s a mystery to how involved she is. I personally don’t believe she had any say in who we bring in and who should go. She just simply gets the deals over the line. 

Chelsea always seemed like a club of committees with poor communication, thats why some of the transfers make no sense

Done deal. €8m + add-ons.

Medical next week. Inter wanted two year loan but it isn't allowed anymore. Will likely be loaned again next season and Inter will then activate his option/obligation to buy when it is much lower. 

Chelsea were mad to bring him back so that on them. He's not going to fit in a Tutchel (sp) squad especially as he blabbed on about shite at the club.

They should just suck it up and get rid.

I'd hate to be a Chelsea supporter right now as you have no one up front.

• The title was changed to Romelu Lukaku Returns to Inter Milan

Hopefully he does well and they purchase him next summer. Anyway, Ziyech is the next one to be rumored to leave. Milan the front runners so another loan most likely. 

Havertz, Werner, and Broja looking like the STs at the moment. Bar is very low so chance for Broja to impress. 

Archived