talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FA Cup 2021/22 Semi-Final - Man City 2-3 Liverpool - Saturday 16th April, 2022

football forum

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

We have let you have the FA Cup, be grateful, we are having the league and CL 👍

Liverpool will have the league and CL too.

Their squad seems to be better prepared. Man City showed their fragility today. Liverpool could rest players like Jota, Firmino, Matip and Henderson. In the grand scheme of things, I think they'll have enough in them to win it all. 

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Stan said:

Liverpool will have the league and CL too.

Their squad seems to be better prepared. Man City showed their fragility today. Liverpool could rest players like Jota, Firmino, Matip and Henderson. In the grand scheme of things, I think they'll have enough in them to win it all. 

Yet they only won due to a back up goal keeper error who wont play again this season, you seen last week how we should of hammered Liverpool, we defo going to win the league at least

6 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

For the money Citehs owners have pumped in and the trophies they’ve won, do you not reckon they look at attendances like the one today and think “why the fuck do we bother”. 

Unfortunately not. The incremental effects will start to really be felt over the next 5-10 years. 

City hit their straps in 2010. By 2020, there will be working aged fans who've know naught but that City have been the best team in England for their lifetime. This effect will be magnified a few years later again, as a bunch of kids who were 10-12 when picking their team around the 2014-15 era start paying for season tickets, and Manchester United were crap when they 'picked their team' . Will be magnified again if Chelsea drop off with no murder millions. 

There will always be rusted on Mancs who's dads dads love the club, and the whole family gathers together on match day, but Citehs fan base will grow and grow if they can keep up this dominance. Uniteds will shrink and shrink. 

• Subscriber

I do think there's something fundamentally unexciting and unrelatable about City though that stops as many fans flocking toward them.

Chelsea are the natural comparison for obvious reasons. I don't know if it's because Chelsea just got into the market earlier, or because their elevation to elite status wasn't quite so egregious because they were already a pretty big club with a bit of folklore about them, or whether just having the likes of Terry and Lampard as home grown (ish) club legends made them seem a bit more like an actual English football club than Man City, who have had their great players in Kompany, Aguero and David Silva but have that Harlem Globetrotters vibe to them, I don't know.

I just think Man City have this sort of bleurgh vibe about them and I wouldn't be surprised if another decade passed and they still weren't selling out Champions League home games and Wembley visits. Certainly where I live you get people going across to see Man Utd and Liverpool (and even Everton) all the time and in the last 10-15 years there's been no inkling of an increase in hearing that someone's getting the boat or plane over to watch the City game this weekend. In fact I don't think I can remember a single instance of hearing that off someone, and pulling fans in from places like the Isle of Man for a day out on top of the hard-core support is what turns you into a club that sells their tickets out week in, week out.

They're just your typical plastic club really. Even in this "rivalry" with Liverpool, there's no venom. One fanbase dwarfs the other, both in simple numbers but also in passion and irrational, tribal hatred and the living and breathing of the football club by its fanbase. It's laughable when you compare it to Man Utd and Arsenal or Man Utd and Chelsea during the 2000s. Anywhere you go in the UK, you'll see Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal shirts. Those rivalries have always been palpable as everyone knows fans on both sides. The stakes never feel as high when Man City are involved.

Anyway, it's a fair point that Man City have only been good for long enough to pick up younger unattached fans as most 20-somethings have already been snapped up. For what it's worth, though, I was in school when Chelsea "got good" in the early 2000s and I seemed to know a lot of Chelsea fans at school, football training, just around and about. Now I work in a school and I have to say from the relatively small sample of teenagers I come across, I don't notice any marked increase in how many of them support Manchester City.

44 minutes ago, Cityfansarescum said:

And I have a feeling you'll win nowt.

Again.😂😂

You have a feeling that United won’t win any competitions that they’ve been knocked out of or a league that they’re 20 points behind in? Bold prediction right there.

15 hours ago, Stan said:

Really? It's not a red card. His trailing leg catches him. If it's with his front foot where the studs were up, then I'd be backing a red too. 

Look at the way he jumps into it. We've seen reds for similar challenges this season.

14 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

Don't see the fuss with Alison, he's average on a good day and makes more mistakes than De Gea

He's incredible.

7 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

They're just your typical plastic club really. Even in this "rivalry" with Liverpool, there's no venom. One fanbase dwarfs the other, both in simple numbers but also in passion and irrational, tribal hatred and the living and breathing of the football club by its fanbase. It's laughable when you compare it to Man Utd and Arsenal or Man Utd and Chelsea during the 2000s. Anywhere you go in the UK, you'll see Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal shirts. Those rivalries have always been palpable as everyone knows fans on both sides. The stakes never feel as high when Man City are involved.

On this rivalry with us, they're like Chelsea were 10-15 years ago. They've resorted to disrupting minutes silences to try and create a rivalry with us.

2 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

On this rivalry with us, they're like Chelsea were 10-15 years ago. They've resorted to disrupting minutes silences to try and create a rivalry with us.

And you lot brick our players coaches :4_joy:  ..both bang out of order tbh

2 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

'Brick'xD anyway, are you lot still going on about that? It was four years ago. Get over it.

It's all fun & games till somebody loses an eye! :ph34r:  ..shows how long the rivalry has been building since you lot got good again

18 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

It's all fun & games till somebody loses an eye! :ph34r:  ..shows how long the rivalry has been building since you lot got good again

You lot need to understand that the coach welcome would have happened whoever Liverpool were playing in a European Cup quarter final. And there would have been one or two dickheads who launched a bottle of Kopparberg. Because that's what happens when you have thousands of people grouped together, there will be one or two dickheads. 

1 minute ago, Rick said:

City without KDB are Europa League standard. 

We had a 40 year old man running the midfield yesterday and still won the 2nd half :ph34r:lol  ..it's no surprise is it that we play better with KDB & Rodrigo in the middle and you still needed our reserve keeper to gift you the win too ;)

2 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

We had a 40 year old man running the midfield yesterday and still won the 2nd half :ph34r:lol  ..it's no surprise is it that we play better with KDB & Rodrigo in the middle and you still needed our reserve keeper to gift you the win too ;)

Mate, without DeBruyne, Mahrez, Silva, Cancelo, Rodri, Stones, Dias, Laporte, Gundogan, Sterling, Foden and Grealish you are nothing. 

18 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

Will you still be a Liverpool fan when you don't win anything  this season? :35_thinking:

1 Been a Liverpool fan for over 50 years, so yes, I think I would be.

2 We've already won something this season. DOH!!!

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, Cityfansarescum said:

1 Been a Liverpool fan for over 50 years, so yes, I think I would be.

2 We've already won something this season. DOH!!!

You seem much younger than someone who's supported a team for 50+ years... 

• The title was changed to FA Cup 2021/22 Semi-Final - Man City 2-3 Liverpool - Saturday 16th April, 2022
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived