talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Life highlights

football forum

A place for positivity. Personally, I’ve had a lot going on in the past year or two, I’ve had two incredible gifts but I’ve also gone through some of my lowest moments due to other experiences. 

This thread is for reminiscing or thinking or even posting special moments in your life you look back on with fondness and think “wow, that really was a great experience.” Or “This changed my life for the better”. Or “I’m so happy I achieved this”. Praise yourself, you deserve it. This isn’t gloating. This is being proud of your life. As the cliche goes, It’s too short after all. 

I’ll do mine after 4-5 litres of coffee…

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Danny's getting ready to gloat.

I didn't die of cancer, always a bonus. Remaining testicle still in tact, an even bigger bonus.

Went travelling round Aus/NZ, loved living in both places.

I would say one of my biggest achievements to date is going to University. I left school with 1 GCSE that I had to take a year to resit to actually get it, I was generally considered to be a bit dumb educationally by most people back then. Doing my access course over a decade later I was only really expecting to get in middle of the road Unis at best, but it went better than I expected and I got accepted into Manchester, King's College and LSE, the last being in a similar bracket to Oxford and Cambridge and having the ranked 3rd best Sociology/Humanities department in the world. A massive change in what I thought I could expect from myself educationally and now I'm at one of the best Uni's in the country which isn't bad going for someone who was set 4/5 and 5/5 for most subjects at school

• Administrator

Being able to give medals out at the London 2012 Olympics. Once in a lifetime and extremely memorable experience. I remember applying for it in 2009 or 2010 and at that time was just happy I could be in contention. I was in shock getting the e-mail saying I'd been successful and that I'd be part of the Victory Ceremonies team. Even then I had no idea what that would entail. But then being told I'd be literally holding the medals which royals/delegates then pick up and give to the athletes, meaning we'd be part of the centre stage arrangements of the medal ceremony, was very surreal and the icing on the cake.

Getting to be on Countdown on TV in 2009. Lost, but was something I always wanted to do as a kid - used to watch it with my parents since I could remember. Was very proud to get the chance to play it. 

Getting married last year and planning/having it through COVID. At one point we thought it'd be impossible but we made it happen. 

• Subscriber

Getting married then seeing the births of our son & daughter then later on in years, back to the hospital and seeing our son & daughters, (now adults) newborn kiddies Connor, Alexander & Kaiden, just hoping now I can stay in the land of the living and see our grandsons kiddies (if they marry).

The low point's in my life were being made redundant 3 times and losing 2 houses due to that, ending up in hospital with a virus that made me sick and then finding out I had a heart failure condition, got over that and then a year later ended up back into hospital with a collapsed lung.

The good thing about ending up in the hospital the second time (come 5 years ago this December) it made me give up smoking as advised by my doctor.  

• Subscriber

The biggest highlight of my life so far has been the opportunity to live it the way I've always wanted to since I was a kid - being able to see the world, meet new people, experience new things, foods, places and cultures. It's not something I am proud of, but certainly something I'm extremely thankful for. 

• Administrator
7 hours ago, nudge said:

The biggest highlight of my life so far has been the opportunity to live it the way I've always wanted to since I was a kid - being able to see the world, meet new people, experience new things, foods, places and cultures. It's not something I am proud of, but certainly something I'm extremely thankful for. 

You should be proud. It's how you've lived your life. And what you've wanted to do. Not what somebody else wants you to do :)

• Subscriber
23 minutes ago, Stan said:

You should be proud. It's how you've lived your life. And what you've wanted to do. Not what somebody else wants you to do :)

Yeah but a lot of it often depends heavily on favourable circumstances and random coincidences, so being thankful feels more fitting than being proud 😅 

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, nudge said:

Yeah but a lot of it often depends heavily on favourable circumstances and random coincidences, so being thankful feels more fitting than being proud 😅 

Fair enough. I think the phrase 'you play the cards you're dealt' applies though. It works both ways! Not just for bad scenarios so you make do with the situation you've been given. Sounds like you've done it positively! 

8 hours ago, nudge said:

Perfect. It really should be like this for all - however it isn’t always the case. Keep living the dream! 

• 5 months later...
On 16/04/2022 at 07:26, Toinho said:

A place for positivity. Personally, I’ve had a lot going on in the past year or two, I’ve had two incredible gifts but I’ve also gone through some of my lowest moments due to other experiences. 

This thread is for reminiscing or thinking or even posting special moments in your life you look back on with fondness and think “wow, that really was a great experience.” Or “This changed my life for the better”. Or “I’m so happy I achieved this”. Praise yourself, you deserve it. This isn’t gloating. This is being proud of your life. As the cliche goes, It’s too short after all. 

I’ll do mine after 4-5 litres of coffee…

I never actually responded to this. I have reflected lots recently about my own mental health and the battles I’ve finally realised I’ve been having particularly over the past 12 months. There are a lot of factors and a lot has happened. I think at times it can easily be seen in my postings here. I’ve always treated this forum as a bit of a laugh / escape / type nonsense but I’m changing that…anyway the rest can be in the mental health thread. For me I need to recognise my achievements and look for positives in my life as quite often I all too easily find the negatives and dwell on those…

Of course becoming a dad is my proudest moment - however I’m not achievement it as an achievement (even though the miracle of conception kind of is, many have less success here and my heart feels for them). 

Completing two university degrees and becoming a teacher really changed my life. I was making poor decisions early on in my adulthood and this helped me greatly mature and take responsibility of my life. Contrary to nonsense here, I remain patient, caring and put my heart into the job. Often with what feels like little reward. But I wouldn’t change it for anything. 

Representing my state in football under 19 level that was a highlight and I wish I pushed harder! 

I’ll add to this later - nappy change time (not for me, yet) 

Ok, let's think. 

My kids are the first thing I think of. Every time I see them I'm proud. 

My high school final scores. I was crawling to the finish line, having given absolutely everything, and really was fucking proud of that result.

Meeting my wife. Particularly the way it went down, which wasn't particularly special, but if I hadn't acted, it never would have become a thing. I stepped outside of my comfort zone in the spur of the moment (which was very uncharacteristic of me) and the payoff was huge.

The puppy love phase with her was a definite life highlight. We had strict parents, and could barely ever get privacy. That really intensified the emotions, chaos and tomfoolery of that period. 

I've had a sort of epiphany at the end of 2019 that things I fretted about i.e failures, family problems etc meant nothing in the long run. I see people older than me who've made these things into personality traits which makes me glad I've learned it at a young age. 

Archived