talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Fulham Promoted Back to Premier League

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Happy for Marco Silva to be honest. He had his failings with us but he was a good bloke and if any of our failed managerial appointments over the last few years could have been afforded a bit more time, it was him. He will have to have made some improvements to keep them up though.

• Administrator
7 hours ago, DNA said:

Their new stand is starting to take shape now, do like the fact they redeveloped Craven Cottage rather than go elsewhere.

Not really many other places to go nearby! 

1 hour ago, Sean the ginger 1 said:

Won't get anywhere near the space. Another Chris Wood type player. Be lucky to get 15 

40 goals is ridiculous though. Chris Wood would get 25 tops.

If we are saying he hasn't gotten any better than when he got 11 in the Premier League last time that's alarming for me. Got to be something better now from him.

Didn't realise Silva was at Fulham, interesting indeed.

He might be able to improve Mitrovic if he has seen something other managers have missed.

Yes I think they will need to strengthen.

In my last job I was working with an Aussie living in Fulham and he used to go. I said I bet the fans sings a bit about Chelsea and he laughed and said,

'Every other fxxking song is about hating Chelsea, it gets boring.'

18 minutes ago, Honey Honey said:

If we are saying he hasn't gotten any better than when he got 11 in the Premier League last time that's alarming for me. Got to be something better now from him.

If he gets 20 or close I'll come back and eat humble pie. To me he's easy to wind up and I can see him getting sent off a number of times. 

Good luck to him I hope he proved me totally wrong. Like I said on another post Blackburn apart I wanna see all sides promoted go up and do well and prove doubters wrong 

Probably others but last one I recall getting close to this was Kevin Phillips 

15 minutes ago, Honey Honey said:

I think part of Mitrovic's problem is in the way Fulham have played, especially the last season they came up, they changed the first team so now you've got a lot of new players to try and click with.

It's really hard to predict how well players will do coming up from the Championship though, I think Adam Armstrong has 2 goals this season? (according to Wiki). Che Adams hasn't really be prolific for Saints, Neal Maupay has about 10 goals a season for Brighton since coming up. You're mainly left with Ollie Watkins who scored 16 goals in his first full season at Villa and then Ivan Toney who's on 14 at the moment.

The one thing that strikes me about both Watkins and Toney is that in their first full seasons up they were/are their club's main striker, so unlike this season for Watkins everything runs through them. But away from that they both have so much more to their game than just scoring goals, both strikers work extremely hard to defend off the ball, to create chances for other players and to link play up. Constantly running, treat every game like a cup final.

From what I know of Mitrovic he isn't like those two, doesn't have the same all round game and I feel like him contributing to goals will be very dependent on Fulham providing him the right service.

24 minutes ago, Danny said:

I think part of Mitrovic's problem is in the way Fulham have played, especially the last season they came up, they changed the first team so now you've got a lot of new players to try and click with.

It's really hard to predict how well players will do coming up from the Championship though, I think Adam Armstrong has 2 goals this season? (according to Wiki). Che Adams hasn't really be prolific for Saints, Neal Maupay has about 10 goals a season for Brighton since coming up. You're mainly left with Ollie Watkins who scored 16 goals in his first full season at Villa and then Ivan Toney who's on 14 at the moment.

The one thing that strikes me about both Watkins and Toney is that in their first full seasons up they were/are their club's main striker, so unlike this season for Watkins everything runs through them. But away from that they both have so much more to their game than just scoring goals, both strikers work extremely hard to defend off the ball, to create chances for other players and to link play up. Constantly running, treat every game like a cup final.

From what I know of Mitrovic he isn't like those two, doesn't have the same all round game and I feel like him contributing to goals will be very dependent on Fulham providing him the right service.

Well said fair post. Wood best season for us was 14.. Got seasons where he got 10 and last season 12.. 

He won't even he in the Newcastle side next season either.. 

Just wondering who the last striker to score 20 goals plus after coming up at first attempt 

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Sean the ginger 1 said:

Just wondering who the last striker to score 20 goals plus after coming up at first attempt 

Some of the best strikers don't even get 20 so I'd be surprised if it was any person recently.

Bamford got a lot last season but not sure it was 20. 

If Fulham build the team around Mitrovic I'd be surprised if he doesn't hit double figures. Scott Parker didn't play to his strengths at all last time. The time before that was just an absolute cluster with the signings and managerial changes.

Hopefully for there sake they hire somebody to lead recruitment. Tony Khan remembering he owns a football team again and getting excited about signing everybody is the biggest threat to Fulham at the minute.

19 minutes ago, Stan said:

Some of the best strikers don't even get 20 so I'd be surprised if it was any person recently.

Bamford got 17 last season. I know a lot of the good ones don't always get 20. Was just out of interest than anything to see who's managed it 

57 minutes ago, Stan said:

Bamford is a strange one because 17 goals in the Prem is a really good tally but he scored 16 goals for Leeds the season before in the Championship which is decent but not exactly great in comparison

• Administrator

I had a look on Wikipedia for players scoring 20+ goals for promoted teams in the first season up. Only a few have done it, expectedly in the earlier PL seasons:

Andy Cole - Newcastle 1993/94 - 34 goals
Kevin Phillips - Sunderland 1999/00 - 30 goals
Stan Collymore - Nottm Forest - 1994/95 - 22 goals

Closest anyone has come since then is:

Marcus Stewart - Ipswich 2000/01 - 19 goals
Charlie Austin - QPR 2014/15 - 18 goals
Patrick Bamford - 2020/21 - 17 goals

So quite difficult!

I can't see Mitrovic breaking that 22-year gap next season. As good as he's been this season, I can see him perhaps getting close, maybe 15 or 16 goals? 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

I had a look on Wikipedia for players scoring 20+ goals for promoted teams in the first season up. Only a few have done it, expectedly in the earlier PL seasons:

Andy Cole - Newcastle 1993/94 - 34 goals
Kevin Phillips - Sunderland 1999/00 - 30 goals
Stan Collymore - Nottm Forest - 1994/95 - 22 goals

Closest anyone has come since then is:

Marcus Stewart - Ipswich 2000/01 - 19 goals
Charlie Austin - QPR 2014/15 - 18 goals
Patrick Bamford - 2020/21 - 17 goals

So quite difficult!

I can't see Mitrovic breaking that 22-year gap next season. As good as he's been this season, I can see him perhaps getting close, maybe 15 or 16 goals? 

I know it's hard to believe because we've been in this divison for such a long time now (much longer than Leicester), but we werent here as far back as 2003/04.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

I know it's hard to believe because we've been in this divison for such a long time now (much longer than Leicester), but we werent here as far back as 2003/04.

What's your point?

Archived