talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Darwin Nunez joins Liverpool

53 minutes ago, Stan said:

Jota & Diaz at £40m each, Konate at £35m, Thiago £20m not count?

Look at the money we brought in!

I'm not getting into the old net spend debate because it's boring but look at what we have actually spent (in the red) compared with most clubs.

We are bottom half of the league table last time I looked (might have altered somewhat with the Diaz signing)?

Anyway, I'm confident if we splash that much cash on a player, he'll be worth it. I also imagine there will be a few getting moved on to finance it.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
20 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Look at the money we brought in!

I'm not getting into the old net spend debate because it's boring but look at what we have actually spent (in the red) compared with most clubs.

We are bottom half of the league table last time I looked (might have altered somewhat with the Diaz signing)?

Anyway, I'm confident if we splash that much cash on a player, he'll be worth it. I also imagine there will be a few getting moved on to finance it.

I didn't mention net spend. I'm just saying you still spent money.

Yeah we can obviously sign players on big fees because we're doing pretty well financially. Which honestly, I'd expect us to be doing alright financially considering we've recently won a league title and been to 3 CL finals and the CL TV money is one of the reasons these billionaire owners come to football to suck the soul from it. Plus the money from the successful domestic cup runs this year.

We're more careful and deliberate with spending big now and FSG is willing to be patient and hang onto cash when top targets aren't available or can't be had for prices we can afford - and I do think with Mane on his way out, Salah and Firmino's futures in question beyond next season, and Origi and Minamino leaving... there's definitely a bigger need for us to spend on an attacker.

That's exits and question marks over both star players & the players we relied on for depth last season. Understandable we'd want to pay big to lock in a player the manager and transfer team think will fit in well with us.

20 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Ok.. to make it simple.. not much has come out of our transfer kitty. 

Yeah but we can also afford to spend a lot because we make a lot of money. FSG also don’t like to spend when they don’t have to, because they like to keep our debts as lean as possible. And yeah, we sell to spend & we sign players only when many people at the club are very keen on the signing.

The fact we’re spending this much on a player means 2 things: Klopp & Ward are very keen on him & signing an attacker is a pressing need.

I just find the fees in football to be so grotesque.

27 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

even if Firmino and Mane leave, Liverpool got younger and better

Two top draw players leave to be replaced by a player totally unproven in the Premier league in Nunez.

Also Diaz has been a very sound investment but judging off his Champions league final showing he doesn't look as good as Mane to me.

Younger yes, better, debatable. Time will tell I suppose.

13 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah but we can also afford to spend a lot because we make a lot of money. FSG also don’t like to spend when they don’t have to, because they like to keep our debts as lean as possible. And yeah, we sell to spend & we sign players only when many people at the club are very keen on the signing.

The fact we’re spending this much on a player means 2 things: Klopp & Ward are very keen on him & signing an attacker is a pressing need.

They are that mate!

Anyway...

Goal conversion rate across Europe...

Darwin Núñez - 31%
Erling Braut Haaland - 28%
Son Heung Min - 27%
Patrik Schick- 27%
Christopher Nkunku - 24%
Ciro Immobile - 23%
Robert Lewandowski - 22%
Karim Benzema - 21%
Sébastien Haller - 21%
Dušan Vlahović - 20%
Kylian Mbappé - 19%
Mohamed Salah - 19%
Lautaro Martínez - 18%
Cristiano Ronaldo - 16%
Victor Osimhen - 15%

:ph34r:

Just now, LFCMadLad said:

They are that mate!

Anyway...

Darwin Núñez - 31%
Son Heung Min - 27%
Patrik Schick- 27%
Christopher Nkunku - 24%
Ciro Immobile - 23%
Robert Lewandowski - 22%
Karim Benzema - 21%
Sébastien Haller - 21%
Dušan Vlahović - 20%
Kylian Mbappé - 19%
Mohamed Salah - 19%
Lautaro Martínez - 18%
Cristiano Ronaldo - 16%
Victor Osimhen - 15%

The step up from Portugal to English football, no guarantee he gets close to those figures with a higher caliber of defender.

The fee is huge if you ask me, that said Klopp has a very good eye for a player so I'd imagine he's done more than enough homework checks on him to be fair.

6 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

They are that mate!

Anyway...

Darwin Núñez - 31%
Son Heung Min - 27%
Patrik Schick- 27%
Christopher Nkunku - 24%
Ciro Immobile - 23%
Robert Lewandowski - 22%
Karim Benzema - 21%
Sébastien Haller - 21%
Dušan Vlahović - 20%
Kylian Mbappé - 19%
Mohamed Salah - 19%
Lautaro Martínez - 18%
Cristiano Ronaldo - 16%
Victor Osimhen - 15%

All I gathered from that is that Salah is shit compared to Nunez. :ph34r:

I'm not one for spending for the sake of spending but Liverpool customers should be a little annoyed at how stingy the owners are. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they never really bother to hugely invest in the club again, they've bought decades worth of good karma with one league win some cup trophies. Coasting for the next few decades Arsenal style, top four is the new winning.

23 minutes ago, Spike said:

I'm not one for spending for the sake of spending but Liverpool customers should be a little annoyed at how stingy the owners are. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they never really bother to hugely invest in the club again, they've bought decades worth of good karma with one league win some cup trophies. Coasting for the next few decades Arsenal style, top four is the new winning.

:rofl:

3 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

Wonder how Liverpool fans will spin the narrative that they spend fuck all now xD

Idk if there is even such a narrative. Look at how much we spent for Konate - who was 3rd choice CB most of the season. You can’t do that if you don’t spend anything.

We’re obviously more privileged than most clubs financially in Europe. We just can’t forget about things like selling players or winning things to make money compared to clubs like City and PSG.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Idk if there is even such a narrative. Look at how much we spent for Konate - who was 3rd choice CB most of the season. You can’t do that if you don’t spend anything.

We’re obviously more privileged than most clubs financially in Europe. We just can’t forget about things like selling players or winning things to make money compared to clubs like City and PSG.

No one said anything about forgetting players or winning things.

But someone did say you spend fuck all.

24 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

:rofl:

You're laughing but I've seen it happen to teams in sports and it's truly a sad sight to see; don't think that the your club is safe from that sort of future. All it takes is a bone here and there and the fans keep flocking because 'this year it might be the year' while the owners rake in hundreds of millions that will never be reinvested into the team.

• Subscriber
33 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

Wonder how Liverpool fans will spin the narrative that they spend fuck all now xD

You mean most expensive goalkeeper, defender and now striker in league history? (This isn’t actually true)

31 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Spending is spending, doesn't matter where it comes from it all feeds the machine of spending to win. It's now the nature of football, people have to accept it instead of beating around the bush. You can gloat that it is a moral or ethical victory that the funds don't come from a dirty place, but is it really a victory when it has created the transfer economy?

1 hour ago, 6666 said:

Does anyone actually know how good this guy is?

I've written about him in a different thread.

He might take longer than Diaz to make an impact. He started very shy for us and will likely start shy for Liverpool, part of his personality too. Doesn't need many chances to score but his overall play is inferior to any other of Liverpool's current forwards. Very passionate for the game and leaves everything on the pitch every time.

3 hours ago, Spike said:

Spending is spending, doesn't matter where it comes from it all feeds the machine of spending to win. It's now the nature of football, people have to accept it instead of beating around the bush. You can gloat that it is a moral or ethical victory that the funds don't come from a dirty place, but is it really a victory when it has created the transfer economy?

I mean really PSG signing Neymar created the modern day transfer economy, but it had become grotesque far before them.

19 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I mean really PSG signing Neymar created the modern day transfer economy, but it had become grotesque far before them.

Man United and Real in the early 00s

18 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

You really should be paying your 300million debt off first mate before  buying anyone :ph34r:

• The title was changed to Darwin Nunez joins Liverpool

Archived