The better place to talk football.

Semi-Final - Wednesday 28th June - Portugal 0-0p Chile

football forum

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
10 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

Nah, it was a great game. Although I for some reason enjoy this Portugal side. Every time they have a "boring game" I enjoy it.

was nowhere near a great game xD. Died out so badly in the 2nd half.

• The title was changed to Semi-Final - Wednesday 28th June - Portugal 0-0p Chile

Shows everything wrong with Portugal at the moment. Dull side and surprise surprise, yet again their veterans let them down. Need to inject some younger players and bleed them in for the world cup. 

I find it funny how some people thought Portugal would win simply because of conspiracy theories such as "they are lucky so they will scrape through again". I thought it was obvious Chile would win that shootout. Ever since the loss vs Brazil at the WC, they have been the masters at penalty shootouts.

I also don't believe luck should be a factor in football. I mean yes, if you take good shots and the keeper saves them all then you have been unlucky, but people can't use that as excuses for games. If you don't try your luck to begin with, you won't get near to winning. 

I hate Chile as does most of South America, but this is a seriously good generation.

• Subscriber
Just now, LaSambadeStGermain said:

I find it funny how some people thought Portugal would win simply because of conspiracy theories such as "they are lucky so they will scrape through again". I thought it was obvious Chile would win that shootout. Ever since the loss vs Brazil at the WC, they have been the masters at penalty shootouts.

I also don't believe luck should be a factor in football. I mean yes, if you take good shots and the keeper saves them all then you have been unlucky, but people can't use that as excuses for games. If you don't try your luck to begin with, you won't get near to winning. 

I hate Chile as does most of South America, but this is a seriously good generation.

Portugal won a tournament with 1 win in 7 games. It isn't surprising to expect them to scrape through.

Just now, Dan said:

Portugal won a tournament with 1 win in 7 games. It isn't surprising to expect them to scrape through.

Paraguay reached a final without winning a single game in 2011. Those stats are irrelavent. Portugal play a pragmatic game on purpose, and its the type of style that works in knockouts. In penalties, Chile were always going to win though. Saying that "its not surprising if Portugal win because of luck" is a theory that doesn't exist in football. Granted, we all have our own predictions but I just find the reasoning for that one silly.

Just now, Cicero said:

Sampaoli really has given an identity to this Chile side.

Will be interesting if he can finally manage to get Argentina playing as a unit

The beginning of this Chile side wasn't Sampaoli nor Bielsa. They just revolutionized it. The starter of all this was Jose Suluntay.

7 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

The beginning of this Chile side wasn't Sampaoli nor Bielsa. They just revolutionized it. The starter of all this was Jose Suluntay.

Did they play three at the back under him? 

Just now, Cicero said:

Did they play three at the back under him? 

Can't remember but he was the one who brought in all those players for the U20 World Cup.

Even so, I wasn't doubting you. You're not exactly wrong as my point was the same as yours. Bielsa and Sampaoli revolutionized this Chile team, I'm just mentioning someone that many Chileans thank and that is Suluntay who worked in 2005 which had Diaz and Jara, and 2007 which had Vidal, Sanchez, Isla and Medel.

I like Peredo, but this was just awful xD

Speaking of Bravo, I'm seeing people claim he should be keeper of the year and its obviously based on this match. He's had a good tournament being fair to him but he's not even played most of the year for his club if I'm correct.

• Subscriber
23 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

I like Peredo, but this was just awful xD

Speaking of Bravo, I'm seeing people claim he should be keeper of the year and its obviously based on this match. He's had a good tournament being fair to him but he's not even played most of the year for his club if I'm correct.

Yep, Bravo got dropped by City because he was terrible. If I remember correctly the last straw was their 4-0 loss against Everton where people were laughing about how Bravo conceded one goal to his left side, one to his right, one that went over him and one that went under him. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Teso Dos Bichos said:

Claudio Bravo made as many saves in the penalty shootout against Portugal as in the Premier League in 2017 (3)

xD shitty semifinal, it was obvious that Portugal was not even trying. What amazes me is the fact that chile was not able to score one single goal :rofl:

That surely can't be true? That's astounding.

22 hours ago, Cicero said:

Sampaoli really has given an identity to this Chile side.

Will be interesting if he can finally manage to get Argentina playing as a unit

Bielsa did well there before that as well, when this Chile side were still young and growing. Since then, they have gone from a darkhorse to one of the most solid international sides in the world. They may not quite have the talent that some other nations have, but they have the heart, sprit, determination and incredible team chemistry. I personally think they might beat Germany in the final, although it'll be very tight.

• The topic was unpinned

Couldn't watch it live but saw the replay today and boy... we should have lost the game in 120 if not 90 minutes. Indisputable penalty not given for Chile as well. VR is a joke.

André Gomes had a complete mare. We'd have been better off playing with 10 men.

When Nani, Quaresma and Moutinho are our options coming from the bench, it should be obvious what needs to change before the world cup.

Archived