talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Semi-Final - Tuesday 27th June - England U21 2-2p Germany U21

10 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Tactically the defending is a disgrace. The decision to not bother pressing is laughable.

How are we getting the gift of extra time xD

Our finishing is the worst and sometimes when we played ping pong in your box, you were lucky the ball never landed in front of one of our players.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
Just now, True Bender said:

We're just trolling. We want to practise penalties, mate. ;)

semi-final penalty shootout vs Germany

We all know which way this is heading....

• Administrator
1 minute ago, True Bender said:

You scored 2 goals from 16 attempts, we scored 2 from 39. You have the better effectivity and one of the best goalkeepers.

Germany win then

Just now, HoneyNUFC said:

Jordan Pickford is a right mong xD

What? Why? He was very good and got the right corner almost every time.

Anyway. 66% possession, about 10 sitters wasted, just to win it with the last pen. Very elaborate way of trolling. Teso should take notes.

• The title was changed to Semi-Final - Tuesday 27th June - England U21 2-2p Germany U21
  • Subscriber

Can't comment most of the game as I only got home at the start of extra time (where I put money on Germany to win on penalties). Seen England's left side getting some stick on here during the game though. Sounds like Chilwell struggled. Talented kid but I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes a winger or wing back in future because he does nothing to convince me he's any good defensively. Gets beaten far too easily.

Based on extra time it looked a bit of a miracle that we got that far. Only one team in it from there. We looked knackered.

• Administrator

The tactics of sitting deep didn't really help Chilwell. That and the fact their right back (Toljan?) seemed to be bang on form. 

I don't understand the tactic overall anyway. Leaving Abraham to chase balls against 2 or 3 German defenders for pretty much half time onwards seemed so redundant and unambitious. You're in a semi final. Germany were there to be exploited if you countered right and applied pressure at the right times. Instead Boothroyd seemed content on sitting back and hoofing up whenever necessary. Almost arrogant taking on Germany in that fashion and almost willing to settle for penalties. Risky game and clearly not rewarded. 

• The topic was unpinned

Boothroyd will keep his job despite showing he can't set up a defence and he encourages bottom half Championship type football with long throw ins and regular long balls.

If Pearce and Southgate got to keep their jobs for much worse then Boothroyd will get a knighthood.

4 hours ago, Stan said:

The tactics of sitting deep didn't really help Chilwell. That and the fact their right back (Toljan?) seemed to be bang on form. 

Yes, that was Toljan. I was wondering why Weiser didn't play.. Weiser is a way better dribbler than Toljan. Maybe exhaustion. 

4 hours ago, Stan said:

I don't understand the tactic overall anyway. Leaving Abraham to chase balls against 2 or 3 German defenders for pretty much half time onwards seemed so redundant and unambitious.

This There are two kinds of pressing: the one that works and the one which doesn't, causes exhaustion and opens up spaces for the opponent. 90% pressing doesn't work. You either press 100% or you don't press at all. At least all English forwards know what a triangle is now. :P

54 minutes ago, True Bender said:

Yes, that was Toljan. I was wondering why Weiser didn't play.. Weiser is a way better dribbler than Toljan. Maybe exhaustion. 

This There are two kinds of pressing: the one that works and the one which doesn't, causes exhaustion and opens up spaces for the opponent. 90% pressing doesn't work. You either press 100% or you don't press at all. At least all English forwards know what a triangle is now. :P

There are indeed two types of pressing and that's where a very good coach and intelligent players come into play. You can press a quality possession high up the field while putting everything into closing spaces and avenues, but if when you eventually get the ball you become very direct in your play by wanting to construct a move in three maybe four passes, by the 60th minute unless you've gone ahead, your players are wasted and the side that knows how to keep the ball will pick you off due to physical exhaustion and mental errors.

The equilibrium is very difficult to acquire. But overall you need top quality players that have been brought up on that type of football. The most difficult thing for any coach is to manage to pinpoint the players that can fit into how he wants to play the game. 

Archived