talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Other PL Round 36 Matches - 7-11th May, 2022

• Subscriber
Just now, Stan said:

Was there at 2016-2019 before Southampton got him.

Given some of Southampton's recruitment in recent seasons it gives me hope.

But to be honest, it's hard to gauge until he starts doing things here. Every single club goes through phases of good recruitment and bad. Some more favourable and consistent (in both aspects) than others. But no one ever gets it perfect.

We just need to go back to our model of finding gems and being shrewd and astute. We've shown we can work that way and shown how it can be successful for the most part. Maybe hiring Glover will allow that for us.  

It's hard to gauge recruitment in general really. It's many people working within a network. Congerton did come with a reputation though and one I just couldn't overlook. We've had more misses than hits in the last 3 years sadly.

Soumare feels like a signing of our preferred model but one who hasn't worked at all.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
19 minutes ago, Dan said:

Soumare feels like a signing of our preferred model but one who hasn't worked at all.

I reckon that's more on an individual level, as in how Soumare is. Perhaps attitude in question, but then what comes into question is perhaps homesickness or not being settled here. 

• Subscriber

I mean speaking of Leicester and Everton, Steve Walsh is the biggest poster boy in the world for recruitment being an awful lot more complicated than just being some fixed attribute that you're either good or bad at.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Stan said:

I reckon that's more on an individual level, as in how Soumare is. Perhaps attitude in question, but then what comes into question is perhaps homesickness or not being settled here. 

Agreed, I don't dispute our scouting for this profile of player but I think this is just a rare failing. He's a real peculiar case to me. Saw someone recently say that somebody working at Arsenal in analytics used to point out how frequently Soumare's name came up. I wonder if he's a bit of an anomaly.

• Subscriber

Awful half of football. Watford aren't exactly threatening so one goal might be enough but it only takes one mistake. I wish we'd just go for the jugular. We've had chances to create but our final third play has been lamentable.

• Subscriber

That was absolutely awful. At least we didn't go Full Everton and lose it at the end.

Still probably in a better position than before kick off with Leeds losing but this should have been a win which would have practically ended the threat of relegation. Needless pressure on the next two home games now if Burnley or Leeds find something.

• Subscriber

3-0 win over Norwich for us. First half poor, quite an open game but Norwich had probably the better chances. Second half the quality shone through. Changes nothing for me personally but first win in 8 and it was needed, albeit, the most winnable fixture of the lot.

• The topic was unpinned

I don't really rate Rodgers as a manager. I don't think any team he's managed has done anything.

Leicester need new blood. Schmicheal (sp) is 35 he can go on for a couple more seasons. Vardy  is over 30 so he's due to hang it up. All the talent in the Leicester squad will be picked of by other clubs. This is thing thing I dislike about modern football these days. Money is no 1 Smaller clubs with some talented players will get sucked into the system. Leicester need to flash the cash to get going again.

Look at Brentford. They gave Erkisson a chance to play again and there's all this rumour he might leave. If he does, I can't hold that against him but he owes Brentford one. Ivan Toney is another. I'm betting that Arsenal  et al are going to swoop in on him.

• Administrator
3 hours ago, patoriku66 said:

Vardy  is over 30 so he's due to hang it up

Has the record for most PL goals after turning 30, and got 14 goals this season. I don't think he's due to hang it up just yet. 

All the talent in the Leicester squad will be picked of by other clubs

All of it? Oh no! We won't have a squad left apart from Vestergaard and Bertrand!! 

I don't really rate Rodgers as a manager. I don't think any team he's managed has done anything

Fair enough if you don't rate him but are you actually dumb?

He's won the FA Cup with us, and several trophies at Celtic. 

10 hours ago, patoriku66 said:

I don't really rate Rodgers as a manager. I don't think any team he's managed has done anything.

Leicester need new blood. Schmicheal (sp) is 35 he can go on for a couple more seasons. Vardy  is over 30 so he's due to hang it up. All the talent in the Leicester squad will be picked of by other clubs. This is thing thing I dislike about modern football these days. Money is no 1 Smaller clubs with some talented players will get sucked into the system. Leicester need to flash the cash to get going again.

Look at Brentford. They gave Erkisson a chance to play again and there's all this rumour he might leave. If he does, I can't hold that against him but he owes Brentford one. Ivan Toney is another. I'm betting that Arsenal  et al are going to swoop in on him.

@MUFC

Archived