talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Werder Bremen Thread

2 hours ago, Tanksie said:

Dortmund fans, what should we do here? You guys have all the experience in these matters.

Take a loan from Bayern and watch your 15,000 crowds develop in 115,000 and regain the tag of 'most passionate fans in Europe'.

I was just kidding :P But yea, I guess it's normal in football, and it's not like it only happened at BVB before! Bremen had a few players coming back as well after not quite making it at "bigger" teams. 

But as a fan, it's normal to look at bit like a hypocrite. "Was interessiert mich mein Geschwätz von Gestern?". :D

• Subscriber

2 minutes ago, Tsubasa said:

I was just kidding :P But yea, I guess it's normal in football, and it's not like it only happened at BVB before! Bremen had a few players coming back as well after not quite making it at "bigger" teams. 

But as a fan, it's normal to look at bit like a hypocrite. "Was interessiert mich mein Geschwätz von Gestern?". :D

I know, and I didn't take it seriously :P We're quite notorious for taking players back anyway, just take a look at Frings, Borowski, Pizarro (more than once hehe), Wiedwald, hell even Max Kruse, even if it's a bit different story with him. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Yep, and I really hope he'll be successful with us for years to come. He did well after taking over, and this Rückrunde was something special; I hope we can build on it now and get back to where we were a decade ago. 

Darmstadt's Jerome Gondorf will apparently be our first signing this summer for the new season.

• Subscriber

And so it's official:

Welcome to Bremen! A solid option for our midfield, hard-working, experienced and down-to-earth player, and with a transfer fee of 1.2 million there's no risk at all. 

In other news, Santi García will miss his last ever match for Werder due to some muscular issues.

Zlatko Junuzovic has been named our new captain!

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

What a turbulent season... Started horribly, then we slowly turned it around, had a great Rückrunde with some amazing performances and wins, then two poor matches against Köln and Hoffenheim, and a 7-goal thriller against BVB tonight to finish it off. 8th in the league in the end, good achievement, and I hope we'll build on it to strengthen the team during the summer and challenge for European spots next season!

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Relling said:

Is there a reason for Robert Bauer not being in the squad for the u-21 EM? A bit strange not to pick him if not.

His ankle injury could have been one of the reasons, I suppose. He played the last matches of the season with torn ligaments, maybe now he needs time to let it heal properly? Otherwise, no idea, he deserves to be in that squad.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Jiri Pavlenka, Czech national goalkeeper, is joining us -  the deal with Sparta Prague is officially confirmed now. 

Don't know what to make of this. On one hand, I hope we're getting a good goalie (and since he's Czech, keeping Drobny for one more year makes sense now), on the other hand, I feel that the club didn't really treat Wiedwald fairly. He'll probably be leaving now anyway.

• Subscriber

Felix Wiedwald to Leeds is official now. And as usual, we're underselling. 500.000 for a decent keeper is nothing, especially for an English club.

Edited by nudge

• Subscriber

Well that's not really surprising, is it? Wiedwald was always going to leave after not being given 100% support, and since Pavlenka's deal got wrapped up, it all went fast.

It actually isn't official yet (Wiedwald's move to Leeds), so hopefully we are getting a bit more than that, but it doesn't look likely.
Pizarro is the next to leave.

I think we should have got behind him 100% He was a great shot stopper and was young and unlike our last couple of keepers (wolf and Miele) he had buckets of confidence. Could have been a keeper for us for a long time.

Well fuck. All the best to Pavlenka if he is going to be the replacement, but I am not happy one of the 1st team players I was happiest with is leaving.

Wiedwald, Sane, Gebre, Delaney, Juno, Bauer, Kruse and maybe Bartels. They are what we should have been building around. Looking to keep them and supplement them with our signings.

Fuck.

• Subscriber

I still remember you calling him the worst keeper in the league at one point :P

Anyway, he was in an incredible form during the 2nd half of the season, and what's even more important, he always identified with the club... It's sad how players like that are being treated. I actually don't blame Nouri or Baumann & Co for looking for a better keeper if they think Wiedwald was too inconsistent or too limited (mind you, I don't know how good Pavlenka is though), but it doesn't look like they were open and direct with him, not letting him know where he stands. Hope he does well in England or wherever else he goes, at 27 he still has quite a few years in him and given full support, could turn out a good keeper for the right club.

Kainz will be the surprise package next season!