talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Werder Bremen Thread

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

There's a break again? :(

Yep, DFB-Pokal semifinals next weekend. Before the season the police asked for this solution not to have to handle 1st May demonstrations and a full Buli matchday at once, nobody knew last September Covid would prevent people from organizing big "Worker's Day" rallies.

Edited by Rucksackfranzose
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Yep, DFB-Pokal semifinals next weekend. Before the season the police asked for this solution not to have to handle 1st May demonstrations and a full Buli matchday at once, nobody knew last September Covid would prevent people from organizing big "Worker's Day" rallies.

Ah, I see. Thought it had something to do with 1st May. Luckily we still have our rescheduled game against Karlsruhe on Monday. :banana:

• Subscriber
47 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I think he's gotta go, shame. But the 1 or 2 games you can win with a new manager will literally decide our fate 

Same. Whom would you like to have as a head coach (realistically) for next season? 

1 hour ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Don't know whether Werder, or Baumann would consider him as a replacement but how would you think about Steffen Baumgart?

Shhhh, I want him at Fortuna if our board decides to not re-new Rösler's contract. 

Schaaf "There'll be a lot of changes around here now you little shits. Mohwald, you will sit at the base of the midfield, Maxi and Bittencourt will sit either side of you, and be expected to contribute more in attack, with Schmid directly in front, sitting behind Rashica and Fullkrug"

"Sir you can't possibly mean..."

"Yes sluts. The diamond has returned" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Schaaf "There'll be a lot of changes around here now you little shits. Mohwald, you will sit at the base of the midfield, Maxi and Bittencourt will sit either side of you, and be expected to contribute more in attack, with Schmid directly in front, sitting behind Rashica and Fullkrug"

"Sir you can't possibly mean..."

"Yes sluts. The diamond has returned" 

I'm pretty positive that Schaaf doesn't talk like that. :ph34r:

I hate to say it but Bremen look like Schalke right now.  Inept on the pitch, no new ideas, and no real impact players that can turn the game.  After watching Koeln on Friday and seeing them playing much better it's becoming a serious worry.

• Subscriber
On 25/04/2021 at 15:21, Rucksackfranzose said:

Don't know whether Werder, or Baumann would consider him as a replacement but how would you think about Steffen Baumgart?

Yeah, I like his prefered football style, definitely one of the better options on the market. 

Personally, I find Ferdinand Feldhofer an interesting option outside of the names that are circulated in the media.

I listened to a podcast this morning that discussed Kohfeldt and the general consensus was that he's been let down by the players and by Frank Baumann.  I think defensively they've had a few bad games but you're going to concede goals when you concede possession and try to defend for 90 minutes.  A coach can only do so much with the players he's been given and as I mentioned earlier in the thread above there doesn't seem to be any real attacking class in this squad.  There are a lot of players who work hard on the pitch but there isn't enough footballing quality there.  Who do you give the ball to when you need to make something happen?  I don't think you can blame Kohfeldt for that at all.

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Coma said:

I listened to a podcast this morning that discussed Kohfeldt and the general consensus was that he's been let down by the players and by Frank Baumann.  I think defensively they've had a few bad games but you're going to concede goals when you concede possession and try to defend for 90 minutes.  A coach can only do so much with the players he's been given and as I mentioned earlier in the thread above there doesn't seem to be any real attacking class in this squad.  There are a lot of players who work hard on the pitch but there isn't enough footballing quality there.  Who do you give the ball to when you need to make something happen?  I don't think you can blame Kohfeldt for that at all.

I agree that Baumann's squad planning is by far a bigger culprit for our situation, but I also think that while pretty poor and lacking in several positions, the squad is still good enough NOT to be fighting against relegation for two years in a row. Yes, you can't blame Kohfeldt for Sargent's lack of finishing or Eggestein's misplaced passes etc., but what I do fail to see is any recognisable philosophy and strategy on the pitch; there doesn't seem to be any ideas and match plan at all - all I've seen in our recent matches is just long balls being hoofed forward mindlessly - and this is surely responsibility of the head coach? Just as he's responsible for choosing to continue with the 5 at the back although is clearly not working, or with playing Sargent as #10, or generally allowing underperforming players to remain in the starting XI every matchday. I actually think Kohfeldt is not a bad manager who would likely do well with a squad of higher quality, but in our current situation he's just not pulling it off. Also looking forward, if we do manage to stay up again, after all, what will change? Likely, nothing at all. With no financial resources and no players in the club to sell for a substantial transfer fee, I can't see us strengthening the squad during the summer, so it's likely that next season the quality of the players at Kohfeldt's disposal will be more or less the same, so it's probably just delaying the inevitable.

That said, I can absolutely understand the board allowing him to continue. First of all, there's hardly any alternative on the market that we could afford (while paying Kohfeldt too), and with 3 matchdays left, it's impossible to say if that would even make any difference. Could have been worth a try though.

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

The report is from Bild, so take it with a pinch of salt, but allegedly Kohfeldt will be leaving Werder at the end of this season.

Mixed feelings about this. On one hand, it's clearly not working with Kohfeldt, on the other hand, I'm honestly afraid to see who will be the next head coach.