talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Werder Bremen Thread

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Is Selassie going back to Czech Republic? Shame, I always enjoyed seeing him play. 

Yep, mostly because of his kids. They want to go to school there, and he wants to finish his career there too. Shame that his time in Bremen had to end like that :(

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

Hearing rumours that we have signed a sponsorship deal with Mercedes! Nothing official yet, but we've had a partnership with them since the end of our VW deal, so it seems possible...

20 minutes ago, nudge said:

Hearing rumours that we have signed a sponsorship deal with Mercedes! Nothing official yet, but we've had a partnership with them since the end of our VW deal, so it seems possible...

I'm surprised since Daimler-Benz are normally are sponsoring more elitist sports compared to football with it's working class roots. Also didn't think they would consider sponsoring a second tier club (sorry for mentioning:() with their first class attitude.

10 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

I'm surprised since Daimler-Benz are normally are sponsoring more elitist sports compared to football with it's working class roots. Also didn't think they would consider sponsoring a second tier club (sorry for mentioning:() with their first class attitude.

And the fact that they already sponsor Stuttgart.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

They are the biggest private employer in the region (Daimler runs a big manufacturing plant in Hemelingen), so I suppose it might have something to do with that? Filbry has been talking about "strategic partnerships" with investors from the region for quite a while now, so I wonder if that's the direction we'll be taking now. 

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Tommy said:

My dad works for Mercedes. Maybe he can get some VIP tickets for our away game there. :35_thinking:xD

They actually rent a VIP-lounge in Weserstadion indeed :4_joy:

Now I fully expect you to provide tickets for these seats there for our next match against your Fortuna :35_thinking: xD 

csm_acb5246534ba5e097eb7cd214e10c5f7bbd4

csm_6de9b5de422791036cc06859f7c5ac82f3ac

• Wow 1

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

They actually rent a VIP-loge in Weserstadion indeed :4_joy:

Now I fully expect you to provide tickets for these seats there for our next match against your Fortuna :35_thinking: xD 

csm_acb5246534ba5e097eb7cd214e10c5f7bbd4

csm_6de9b5de422791036cc06859f7c5ac82f3ac

I know a guy who once was in the VIP section at HSV. He said he didn't even see anything from the game. He was just eating and drinking all the free stuff the whole time. xD

That looks very posh. Not sure if I'd feel comfortable there. xD

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
Just now, Tommy said:

I know a guy who once was in the VIP section at HSV. He said he didn't even see anything from the game. He was just eating and drinking all the free stuff the whole time. xD

That looks very posh. Not sure if I'd feel comfortable there. xD

xD 

Yeah, I wouldn't feel comfortable either, nor would I actually want to watch the game separated from the fellow fans and locked in a private room with a bunch of corporate pricks instead xD 

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber

Ok, so the Mercedes deal turned out to be pretty disappointing. Only a car partner, paying about 200.000€ a annually. That's about 6 times less than the VW deal previously... 

• Subscriber

Interesting interviews with Baumann today on the official website and on Deichstube. Main points - new manager, squad planning, goals for the next season.

In terms of the new manager, Baumann confirmed that the club had a very long list of names, and after an extensive evaluation process and interviews, we now have three final candidates, and the decision should be announced in the next few days. The manager profile that the club is looking for is mostly about experience working successfully under low financial resources, developing young players, playing attractive but also successful football. He didn't comment on any names, but what I found particularly interesting was the statement that Werder still is an attractive club for managers, and that there were apparently some candidates who were willing to manage us in the 2. Liga despite having options in 1. Bundesliga and other top leagues abroad. Also, Baumann said that we are willing to pay a release fee for the right manager should it be necessary. All this sounds pretty good to me, I hope I will be equally as optimistic once the new manager is announced. According to Deichstube, the three candidates are Leitl, Werner, and Zeidler; but that is nothing official and they also mentioned Breitenreiter and Thioune as potential candidates.

Regarding the squad planning - several players in the current squad already said that they would like to stay, some others would prefer to leave. The decision in each individual case will depend on the transfer offers we get. In addition, we are looking to sign several experienced players who know 2. Liga well, and several youth players/players returning from loan are an option, including Johannes Eggestein. Before any transfers (in or out) happen, they want to discuss it with the new manager though, so it will take a while until we see first actions in transfer market this summer. Team should return to training mid-June, with the training clamp in Zillertal planned in early July (only one training camp this summer). 

Next season goals - not only play for promotion, but also make it happen. Baumann said he is very optimistic that we will have a squad and a manager to reach these goals, and finish the season in the top 3. Despite that, he also acknowledges that the league will be very tough next season. This sounds extremely self-confident and optimistic to me...hope he's right. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, nudge said:

@londonerlilie what is your opinion on Markus Anfang? He's suddenly being suggested as the top candidate for the job at Bremen by different sources of media, and I'm not sure what to think.  

I personally believe that he's a good coach who has developed with us and gotten even better. I do like that he likes to play offensive football but was annoyed by his inflexibility with it. He values players that are confident with the ball at their feet and that starts with the goalkeeper, who should be able to start off an attack. The first 3/4 of our season suffered because of that and stayed in the lower half. Once he finally realised the situation we got ourselves in he did change his initial plan we suddenly started winning all of our games. His inflexibility cost him his job in Köln but he has realised the importance of changing the game plan when necessary.

That said, Finger weg!

:D

• Like 1

• Subscriber
26 minutes ago, londonerlilie said:

I personally believe that he's a good coach who has developed with us and gotten even better. I do like that he likes to play offensive football but was annoyed by his inflexibility with it. He values players that are confident with the ball at their feet and that starts with the goalkeeper, who should be able to start off an attack. The first 3/4 of our season suffered because of that and stayed in the lower half. Once he finally realised the situation we got ourselves in he did change his initial plan we suddenly started winning all of our games. His inflexibility cost him his job in Köln but he has realised the importance of changing the game plan when necessary.

That said, Finger weg!

:D

Thank you! And no worries, we'll probably end up signing Tayfun Korkut or something, anyway xD

That sounds good, although the inflexibility worries me a bit (in case he's indeed our top candidate). Sounds somewhat like Kohfeldt, who also wanted to play attractive attacking football and then failed miserable after realising that the squad was not really capable of that. 

I wouldn't say no to Anfang and Dursun though :ph34r:

• Haha 1

• Subscriber

Marco Bode, Andreas Hoetzel, Thomas Krohne and Kurt Zech will not run for a position in the Supervisory board again in the next election. Frank Baumann officially confirmed to stay. 

That's all good and nice, but can we please announce the new manager at last?... Less than two months until the new season starts. 

• Subscriber

We're apparently interested in Marvin Duksch. Would definitely be a very good signing for the 2. Liga, but given that he still has a contract with Hannover until 2022 and his market value is around 2m, I don't think it's very realistic.

• Subscriber

Pre-season plan has been announced:

So, 27.06.21, 15.30 Uhr, Testspiel: BW Lohne - SV Werder, Heinz-Dettmer-Stadion (Lohne)

Mi, 30.06.21, 18.30 Uhr, Testspiel: VfB Oldenburg - SV Werder, Marschwegstadion (Oldenburg)

Do, 01. bis Do, 08.07./Fr, 09.07.21, Trainingslager im Zillertal, Zell am Ziller (Österreich)

Getting excited again for the season, like the new coach, hoping for the best from Frank, and looking forward to some great northern derbies. Only thing that sucks is the games will be tough to see here in Canada from a viewing and time perspective.

Onward and upward.

• Subscriber

We are reportedly close to signing Anthony Jung on a free transfer - an LB/CB who last played in Bröndby, and has experience playing in both 1. and 2. Bundesliga with Ingolstadt and RB Leipzig. He reportedly underwent his medical yesterday, and has rejected Bochum's offer as well as Bröndby's contract extension.