talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Eintracht Frankfurt p1-1 Rangers - Europa League FINAL - Wednesday 18th May, 2022

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The title was changed to Eintracht Frankfurt p1-1 Rangers - Europa League FINAL - Wednesday 18th May, 2022

Oooof, what a game. 

I thought Frankfurt was the slightly better team over the regular 90 minutes. But Rangers looked more dangerous in extra-time. 

Penalties are always a bit shit to decide such an important tournament. But congrats to Frankfurt. They're playing Champions League next season after finishing 11th in the Bundesliga. What a way to save an entire season. xD 

Commiserations to Rangers, they have been terrific throughout this competition. They certainly proved the German legend Lothar Mathaus wrong and made him eat his words with their incredible performances. Frankfurt though have also been excellent and I think they edged this match as they created more chances and they seem to have a very well balanced side. Borre has proven to be an excellent striker in this competition while Kostic and Knauff have been awesome on the flanks, as have most of the other Frankfurt players. Congrats to Frankfurt with their win here, after they went out to Chelsea in the Europa League semi-finals a couple of years ago on penalties. A deserved win I think for a team that tends to do well in knockout competitions.

1 minute ago, Michael said:

They certainly proved the German legend Lothar Mathaus wrong

That's not a very difficult thing to do though to be honest. He was a legend on the pitch,  but he's an incredibly dumb guy off the pitch. 

Congrats Frankfurt, likable club, deserve a spot like this :)

Listening to the Scottish co commentator say "he's not even made contact with the head there" after the superkick from Lundstram and Rode's face is bleeding made me want Frankfurt to win even more. 

I didn't watch this match although I could have. Over here it's all in Spanish so I watch and hear blah  blah blah and then GOooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh. It's so frustrating.

I'm sorry for Rangers losing out on penalties. IMHO it's the worst way to lose a match because it's all 50/50.

Hopefully they regroup next season and go even further

47 minutes ago, Michael said:

The champions return home to Frankfurt and to their delighted fans!

Bigger party than Bayern ever had for any title. 

Squad of the season

The UEFA technical study group selected the following players as the squad of the tournament.

Pos. Player Team(s)
GK Germany Kevin Trapp Germany Eintracht Frankfurt
DF England Craig Dawson England West Ham United
Austria Martin Hinteregger Germany Eintracht Frankfurt
Nigeria Calvin Bassey Scotland Rangers
MF England James Tavernier Scotland Rangers
Austria Konrad Laimer Germany RB Leipzig
England Declan Rice England West Ham United
Serbia Filip Kostić Germany Eintracht Frankfurt
FW France Christopher Nkunku Germany RB Leipzig
Colombia Rafael Santos Borré Germany Eintracht Frankfurt
England Ryan Kent Scotland Rangers