talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Newcastle 2-0 Arsenal - Sunday 15th May, 2022

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

Eddie Howe shadowed Diego Simeone after getting sacked by Bournemouth,  he understood that his weakness was structure and having a solid base to build off.   If you take the Spurs and City game out of it we have we have  conceded 8 in 16 games,  19 in 18 with the Spurs and City,  ultimately we have been more resolute at the back.

Since January we have 11 W, 2 D and 5 losses with only Spurs and City being really disappointing efforts. 

With smart signings we could possibly be in the mix for a Europa finish whether it be league or conference it would be a major first step. 

I think that's one big thing Howe has over managers like Rodgers who I think are a similar stature. Rodgers was always a bit defiant about his reputation when things went sour with us - and he's shown he can be similarly stubborn with his decisions at Leicester too. Howe took the criticism about how Bournemouth were useless defensively to heart and sought to address it while he wasn't managing and probably went to the best person to learn about modern defensive football in Simeone and his Atletico.

I haven't seen Howe's Newcastle play anything like the dour shite Atletico play in the CL - but he's certainly shown he can set up a well organised defense since joining Newcastle. It's a very small sample of games, but that's all he's had to work with - but early days indicate he's learned from the biggest criticism there was about him.

I hope he's still keen on signing our deadweight at highly inflated prices though... 

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

My dream backup scenario after us just doing the business against Palace is sort of on the cards then. Arsenal in disarray. Hopefully Spurs get themselves a couple of goals ahead in the first ten at Norwich, news filters through to the Emirates crowd who get deflated and transmit that to their players. That'd do. 😉

I hope you get relegated now. :61_sob:

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Inverted said:

That goal difference for Arsenal does put it in perspective slightly. 

Just looking at goals scored, they’ve been out scored by West Ham and Leicester. Arteta seems to have invested so much effort into making the team structured and solid, with the eventual promise that the attacking side will click, without the creativity ever really coming, and without ever actually being that solid either.

We hadn't scored 3 in a game in 2022 until last week either.

Arsenal have actually got strong Leicester 2019/20 vibes about them.

I can't remember who mentioned it in the Man City thread but Arsenal seem to be developing a similar hurdle problem to Man City in the CL when it comes to fourth place. This isn't the first time where they've been in a fantastic position to take fourth place and blown it.

I understand the losses of Partey and Tierney have really affected them as they're two quality players but to lose to Palace, Brighton, Southampton and Newcastle is not on.

As for Newcastle, I think Eddie Howe has deserved an opportunity to carry on what he's started next season but the talk of Europa League next season is premature. Repeating the form he has over the course of a whole season is a big ask. Everybody has a dip at some point (unless you're City and Liverpool levels of excellent) and it will be interesting see how himself, his players and the club hierarchy react when that happens.

Matt Targett, Dan Burn and Bruno were spot on signings in January. Trippier hasn't played and Chris Wood you can take him or leave him.

Next set of transfers will determine if we can challenge top 8 next year, but either way top 8 has to be the target. Looks like we have the home side for it, but more to do to further that game dominance and improve away.

Important to sign players with the right mentality. Risk now is plenty of good players with the wrong mentality will be lining up to join us.

It was great to have Callum Wilson back. To have someone upfront who moves and runs. Our game is better for it. If only the lad could stay fit because there's 15 goals there in a team like this if he could.

We are a formidable side at home who have won 7 of the last 8, only Liverpool beating us. I'd fancy us to beat anyone at home bar them and Man City.

We now have more points than in any Premier League season since 2014. 

8 hours ago, Cicero said:

Got to love the irony here.

I can't fault honesty and I'm curious to know who he's throwing under the bus there specifically but he's just as equal to the shambles too IMO and this is a bloke that's been there a bloody long time now. What has he ever done?

The club doesn't have a winners mentality between any of them. They really have thrown what looked a wrapped up place away and this will sting all summer.

• Administrator
27 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Got to love the irony here.

I can't fault honesty and I'm curious to know who he's throwing under the bus there specifically but he's just as equal to the shambles too IMO and this is a bloke that's been there a bloody long time now. What has he ever done?

The club doesn't have a winners mentality between any of them. They really have thrown what looked a wrapped up place away and this will sting all summer.

Yeah I agree and don't agree with what he says. On one hand he's right to call the mediocrity out in a performance. On the other hand, it's a bit double-standards when you're not performing well yourself. 

Arsenal's stature is not as high as it used to be, but in saying that, I'd have expected them to qualify for top 4 with no European football to contend with this season. They seemed to hit their stride at one point and looked set for it. But they've lacked the consistency in sustaining good form. Win a few, lose a few. It's like the ground they make up when winning is undone when they go on a 3 or 4-game losing streak. 

9 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think that's one big thing Howe has over managers like Rodgers who I think are a similar stature. Rodgers was always a bit defiant about his reputation when things went sour with us - and he's shown he can be similarly stubborn with his decisions at Leicester too. Howe took the criticism about how Bournemouth were useless defensively to heart and sought to address it while he wasn't managing and probably went to the best person to learn about modern defensive football in Simeone and his Atletico.

I haven't seen Howe's Newcastle play anything like the dour shite Atletico play in the CL - but he's certainly shown he can set up a well organised defense since joining Newcastle. It's a very small sample of games, but that's all he's had to work with - but early days indicate he's learned from the biggest criticism there was about him.

I hope he's still keen on signing our deadweight at highly inflated prices though... 

LFCMadLad mentioned Joe Gomez and he has been brought up on a few popular football vlogs on Youtube and the like that Joe Gomez fits our need perfectly.   Transfermarket values him at 22m,  around 20m and I think that is very fair valuation.   His recent injury derailed his momentum and Liverpool went and signed Kanoute bumping Gomez down to 4th choice with Rhys Williams and Nat Phillips on his tail.     If a deal can be done for 20m that would be good business.    

When we looked at the fixture list and saw Liverpool, Man City and Arsenal,  people kind of put it down for banking 3 losses.   We gave a spirited showing against Liverpool,  folded a bit against City but I was very confident of a win against Arsenal.   Last home game,  a team more around our level and a team that is not yet on the beach despite securing safety.    

The nature of the dominance was outstanding to see,  and Xhaka kind of said it in his presser that they got bullied off the park.   They wanted nothing to do with our midfield 3.    Sean Longstaff had one of his best performances going back and forward,  maybe he is auditioning for his next club after turning down a new contract. 

16 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

LFCMadLad mentioned Joe Gomez and he has been brought up on a few popular football vlogs on Youtube and the like that Joe Gomez fits our need perfectly.   Transfermarket values him at 22m,  around 20m and I think that is very fair valuation.   His recent injury derailed his momentum and Liverpool went and signed Kanoute bumping Gomez down to 4th choice with Rhys Williams and Nat Phillips on his tail.     If a deal can be done for 20m that would be good business.    

I would hate to sell Gomez, especially to Newcastle if it’s not for at least £50m

20 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I would hate to sell Gomez, especially to Newcastle if it’s not for at least £50m

The urge to try may be there,  but it will kill any prospect of deals between the clubs going forward.   At 50m we are already way past what clubs have quoted us on Benoit Bendiashile, Inacio Goncales, Sven Botman, Bremmer and Diego Carlos.   20m is a fair reflection for a player who has only played 7 games all season.   I would also assume that Gomez would like the move to restart his career as he has almost no chance of making the Liverpool starting line up. 

1 minute ago, Lucas said:

xD

£30m and that is absolute tops for me.

20-30m tops,  think that is fair value as you don't pay for past performance you pay for the now and future.   Gomez will not play much football if he stays at liverpool,  leaving the leverage that liverpool will have very low.   He is a free agent in 2024 also and he is likely to walk. 

6 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

The urge to try may be there,  but it will kill any prospect of deals between the clubs going forward.

Not the worst thing in the world from our perspective tbh.

Is having Gomez on the bench just in case we ever have another injury crisis worth £20m? Idk cos it’s not my job to know that but my guess is if we wanted to sign another defender who can cover at CB and RB at the highest level it’d probably cost more.

And from his perspective there’s probably worse places to be despite the limited minutes & he can make a shitload more money on a free transfer.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

You’re not the wealthiest football club in the world thoughxD 

I'm just jealous and touchy because you get far too good fee's for average players. 

I actually think I'd cry if I saw you get £50m for a back up that hardly plays and we are forced to flog Phillips and Raphinha for about a combined £60-70m.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Is having Gomez on the bench just in case we ever have another injury crisis worth £20m? Idk cos it’s not my job to know that but my guess is if we wanted to sign another defender who can cover at CB and RB at the highest level it’d probably cost more.

And from his perspective there’s probably worse places to be despite the limited minutes & he can make a shitload more money on a free transfer.

At Dortmund and your Liverpool. Klopp has shown he can purchase the right players at good prices.

1 minute ago, Lucas said:

I'm just jealous and touchy because you get far too good fee's for average players. 

I actually think I'd cry if I saw you get £50m for a back up that hardly plays and we are forced to flog Phillips and Raphinha for about a combined £60-70m.

I don’t think he’d actually go for that much unless Real, Barca, or the oil clubs were in for them - and tbh I don’t think any of them are, especially not after a season where he’s hardly played.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Nat and Neco

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Both almost certainly nailed on to join the clubs they’re loaned at, nor are either really close to as good as Gomez

I thought they may be a little better than that.   they kind of fit the backup RB and 4th CB definition well.

my guess is Gomez may feel he is better than 7 games and force himself out

• The title was changed to Newcastle 2-0 Arsenal - Sunday 15th May, 2022
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived