talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Newcastle 2-0 Arsenal - Sunday 15th May, 2022

• Subscriber
Just now, OrangeKhrush said:

I thought they may be a little better than that.   they kind of fit the backup RB and 4th CB definition well.

my guess is Gomez may feel he is better than 7 games and force himself out

You can have Shaw and Maguire for free.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, MUFC said:

You can have Shaw and Maguire for free.

nope.   Shaw may be salvaged but I really want Aaron Hickey, rare to find a fullback good with his left and right foot, young and with upside.  20 years is a good profile to buy.

we need a ball playing left footed CB and right footed CB.  a right footed being priority to move Schar to #3.   Burn is good enough to earn another shot as starting left side, unless the club goes in for one of Botman, Bendiashile or inacio.

Sangare is also a top target we tried to sign on deadline day for 20m he is a steal for a guy that has as good stats as Tchouameni, Declan Rice and other to holding midfielders.

We are also going back in for Hugo Ekitike who at the last minute opted to stay in France but he wants to come now.

Howe wants to ge Arnaut Danjuma again, he is basically what ASM can be with more consistency, scored 15 for Bournemouth and now over 10 for Villareal he fits the need well.

the last one is still hopeful but Bruno has been urging Lucas Paqueta to come, i will lose my shit if that happened

I think Joe Gomez stays at Liverpool for at least another year. Nat Phillips seems open to leaving after enjoying his loan spell at Bournemouth, whilst I imagine Fulham will be doing all they can to get Neco Williams back considering he's unlikely to get the guarantee of games he wants at Liverpool.

Liverpool will want a fee that reflects Joe Gomez ability, and I don't think anybody will pay that given his previous injury concerns. There more likely to get those fees from Williams and Phillips.

2 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

nope.   Shaw may be salvaged but I really want Aaron Hickey, rare to find a fullback good with his left and right foot, young and with upside.  20 years is a good profile to buy.

we need a ball playing left footed CB and right footed CB.  a right footed being priority to move Schar to #3.   Burn is good enough to earn another shot as starting left side, unless the club goes in for one of Botman, Bendiashile or inacio.

Sangare is also a top target we tried to sign on deadline day for 20m he is a steal for a guy that has as good stats as Tchouameni, Declan Rice and other to holding midfielders.

We are also going back in for Hugo Ekitike who at the last minute opted to stay in France but he wants to come now.

Howe wants to ge Arnaut Danjuma again, he is basically what ASM can be with more consistency, scored 15 for Bournemouth and now over 10 for Villareal he fits the need well.

the last one is still hopeful but Bruno has been urging Lucas Paqueta to come, i will lose my shit if that happened

Has anyone told you you play too much football manager? 

I don't think I'd be looking to move on just yet if I was Gomez. He's probably thinking about his World Cup place but it only takes one injury in defence for him to start getting regular game time again. I'm pretty sure that Liverpool won't be looking to move him on, certainly not cheaply.

We can give Howe next season tbh. Cannot judge someone on half a season, new manager bounce and £100m in the bank.

If it’s true he’s been shadowing Simeone then fair play because his Bournemouth defence was horseshit and the team as a whole were overrated for the money spent. But we’ll have to see how that pans out with a full sense of expectation ahead of him.

4 hours ago, Lucas said:

I'm just jealous and touchy because you get far too good fee's for average players. 

I actually think I'd cry if I saw you get £50m for a back up that hardly plays and we are forced to flog Phillips and Raphinha for about a combined £60-70m.

That’d just be down to your club being poor negotiators. I think Gomez is easily a starting top 4 centre back

Newcastle are obviously overachieving. Only Liverpool now have more points in 2022. We are not a top 4 team. Things will regress to the mean. However across a whole season with this group that should still turn out to be a similar league position of 9th-13th. That's due to how bad we were for the first 20 games. 

With some further good signings we should be looking to 8th, with a can we get close to 7th question mark.

Then incrementally from there a couple more upgrades, looking for 5th/6th. 

We could easily get stuck at any of these levels if the signings aren't right. Plenty of examples of that elsewhere.

There's not much between the teams typically 10th-15th. The money needs to pull us away from that lot.

1 hour ago, Honey Honey said:

Newcastle are obviously overachieving. Only Liverpool now have more points in 2022. We are not a top 4 team. Things will regress to the mean. However across a whole season with this group that should still turn out to be a similar league position of 9th-13th. That's due to how bad we were for the first 20 games. 

With some further good signings we should be looking to 8th, with a can we get close to 7th question mark.

We could easily get stuck at any of these levels if the signings aren't right. Plenty of examples of that elsewhere.

There's not much between the teams typically 10th-15th. The money needs to pull us away from that lot.

It will certainly be about getting the players that fit the system.   I still think we need to finish off the base of the team as you can only win games if you can defend.   For instance Matt Targett has been dependable but against Spurs, Liverpool and City his lack of mobility exposed him,  he is also 26 and unlikely to develop much more.    We are linked to a bunch of younger LB's notably Mitchell Bakker, Aaron Hickey and Lodi from Atletico.    We most certainly need another modern CB in,  someone that can not only defend but start transitions from defense into attack.   We also need a top class defensive midfielder.    The last two positions is a left footed right winger and a modern goal keeper. 

• The title was changed to Newcastle 2-0 Arsenal - Sunday 15th May, 2022
  • Subscriber
11 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

I can't remember who mentioned it in the Man City thread but Arsenal seem to be developing a similar hurdle problem to Man City in the CL when it comes to fourth place. This isn't the first time where they've been in a fantastic position to take fourth place and blown it.

I understand the losses of Partey and Tierney have really affected them as they're two quality players but to lose to Palace, Brighton, Southampton and Newcastle is not on.

As for Newcastle, I think Eddie Howe has deserved an opportunity to carry on what he's started next season but the talk of Europa League next season is premature. Repeating the form he has over the course of a whole season is a big ask. Everybody has a dip at some point (unless you're City and Liverpool levels of excellent) and it will be interesting see how himself, his players and the club hierarchy react when that happens.

They've bottled it as far as I'm concerned. They blew some very, very winnable games.

Southampton is a particularly shocking loss.

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Danny said:

That’d just be down to your club being poor negotiators. I think Gomez is easily a starting top 4 centre back

‘Easily’ is such a stretch. He’s proven nothing yet 

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Honey Honey said:

That’s not true. Us and city have more points.

PPG might be different 

1 minute ago, Storts said:

He was a regular the season we won the league and was a regular in 18/19 until he got the injury about half way through that season. The jury might still be out on how he's come back from his injury last season because of the lack of regular game time but he's proven plenty before that.

1 hour ago, Storts said:

Maybe but seeing as Ben Davies makes your team, Andreas Christensen at Chelsea, I dont think the bar is massively high 

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Danny said:

Maybe but seeing as Ben Davies makes your team, Andreas Christensen at Chelsea, I dont think the bar is massively high 

Wouldn’t take Gomez over Ben Davies at LCB. Only one of them can stay healthy too 

No real debate though as I don't think we were gonna sell him in the first place. He's worth more to us in our squad than what anyone would pay for him as long as he's healthy. Hopefully this latest injury isn't too bad.

9 minutes ago, Storts said:

Wouldn’t take Gomez over Ben Davies at LCB. Only one of them can stay healthy too 

Not at LCB but was more a point of general ability, tbh not up to date with Gomez’ injuries as of late 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived