talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Newcastle 2-0 Arsenal - Sunday 15th May, 2022

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Terrible performance. Losing games we should win so often shows how insanely stupid it was to actually choose to weaken the squad in January. We need a striker? Well, let's give away our main striker for free and see what happens.

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

That's it then isn't it?

Spurs will need to lose against Norwich or Chelsea need to lose to both Watford and Leicester. (Assuming Arsenal even beat Everton)

Tottenham will batter Norwich. Chelsea will beat Watford and Leicester. Arsenal will lose to Everton.

• Subscriber

My dream backup scenario after us just doing the business against Palace is sort of on the cards then. Arsenal in disarray. Hopefully Spurs get themselves a couple of goals ahead in the first ten at Norwich, news filters through to the Emirates crowd who get deflated and transmit that to their players. That'd do. 😉

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, Cicero said:

That's it then isn't it?

Spurs will need to lose against Norwich or Chelsea need to lose to both Watford and Leicester. (Assuming Arsenal even beat Everton)

Yeah, you can relax on Thursday. 

13 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Tottenham will batter Norwich. Chelsea will beat Watford and Leicester. Arsenal will lose to Everton.

Leicester go into the Chelsea match after a 1-5 thrashing of Watford whereas Chelsea lost to Everton and allowed Wolves back in. 

I just had that feeling that Arsenal were going to be in for a rough night.   Last home game for us,  desperate to make amends from the City loss and we really wasted this game.   In fairness it should have been 4 or 5,  their xG was a stunning 0.39.

Wilson is a class forward,  he runs the line well, pulls defenders and is fast enough to get on the through ball.   

That goal difference for Arsenal does put it in perspective slightly. 

Just looking at goals scored, they’ve been out scored by West Ham and Leicester. Arteta seems to have invested so much effort into making the team structured and solid, with the eventual promise that the attacking side will click, without the creativity ever really coming, and without ever actually being that solid either.

Just now, Inverted said:

That goal difference for Arsenal does put it in perspective slightly. 

Just looking at goals scored, they’ve been out scored by West Ham and Leicester. Arteta seems to have invested so much effort into making the team structured and solid, with the eventual promise that the attacking side will click, without the creativity ever really coming, and without ever actually being that solid either.

Building a structure isn't a bad thing,  the problem is Nikitiah is not good enough to lead the line,  if they add a quality forward like Nunez, or Jesus etc that may help them become a more complete side.  

• Subscriber

It's so lazy I think to say Newcastle have simply spent loads to become good. They have spent in January, of course, but I doubt anybody saw them turning their form around to this degree. They'll make Europe next season if they keep this up.

Guimaraes is a terrific signing. Howe's done a great job. I don't think he's getting the credit deserved.

• Administrator
26 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Just realised Arsenal have to make up a 33 G/D even if we lose both matches 😂

Sorry what table are you looking at?! You're guaranteed top 4. 

4 points ahead of Arsenal and they only have one game left. 

• Subscriber

I think some people like me are just reluctant to fully commit to the Howe hypetrain based on his Bournemouth side who had fundamental issues year on year that were never addressed despite punching above their weight overall. Managers in the sort of tier he's in seem to flop more often than not when they're asked to go from punching above their weight on a budget to utilising a bit of a war chest to move a club forward.

I still think there's a ceiling for him as a manager but you can't say fairer than what he's done with them in the second half of this season.

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I think some people like me are just reluctant to fully commit to the Howe hypetrain based on his Bournemouth side who had fundamental issues year on year that were never addressed despite punching above their weight overall. Managers in the sort of tier he's in seem to flop more often than not when they're asked to go from punching above their weight on a budget to utilising a bit of a war chest to move a club forward.

I still think there's a ceiling for him as a manager but you can't say fairer than what he's done with them in the second half of this season.

Said it about us and Rodgers, and many other managers, sometimes you need a freshen up and things go stale. It's not even necessarily you being a bad manager or bad set of players, it just stops working, there's less drive, there needs to be a freshness.

Howe should've probably moved on from them after three years in the Premier League. Couldn't specifically say who to. He's a decent manager. I've been critical in the past but I've changed my mind on him I think. His Bournemouth era probably doesn't get quite the credit it deserves because he made some poor signings when they were in the Premier League.

If Newcastle get their recruitment as spot on this summer as they did in January they will fly up the league. It's really not that great a league beyond the top two.

Eddie Howe shadowed Diego Simeone after getting sacked by Bournemouth,  he understood that his weakness was structure and having a solid base to build off.   If you take the Spurs and City game out of it we have we have  conceded 8 in 16 games,  19 in 18 with the Spurs and City,  ultimately we have been more resolute at the back.

Since January we have 11 W, 2 D and 5 losses with only Spurs and City being really disappointing efforts. 

With smart signings we could possibly be in the mix for a Europa finish whether it be league or conference it would be a major first step. 

• The title was changed to Newcastle 2-0 Arsenal - Sunday 15th May, 2022
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived