talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2021/22 Premier League Manager of the Season

FB_IMG_1652538849668.jpg

Graham Potter missing out seems harsh (🤮). Can't help but think Bruno Lage has been looked over because he plays an unattractive brand of football.

I think you can make a case for any of four of them. Pep has made a team without a recognised forward remarkably consistent, Klopp has done extremely well to remain competitive in all competitions, Frank has done very well to ensure Brentford have never looked like relegation favourites in their first season whilst Vieira has done a phenomenal job at changing the entire philosophy of a club.

Tory Eddie's done a good job but I think him making this shortlist is an achievement in itself.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Was gonna question whether Brighton had overachieved that much but they are 9th to be fair.

I don't think Howe should be on there having managed less than the full season.

Vieira definitely worthy. Moyes and Lage unlucky as well. Wolves were terrible last season.

Might be controversial but I don't think Guardiola is in the top five managers of teams who have over achieved this season, though I accept that there's only so much more he could do to fit that criteria.

• Administrator

Eddie Howe xD

Nah not having that. 

I'm not on the Potter hype however can see he's done a decent job at Brighton. Moyes should be considered too. 

Newcastle 3rd in the Premier League when taking the 17 games of the 2nd half of the season. If we were 3rd at Christmas in a new season how many of you lot would be laughing at the idea of Howe winning manager of the season? None.

You expected that off the back of the likes of Chris Wood, Matt Targett and Dan Burn coming in?

How much did you lot make down the bookies?

I was expecting to get to about 34 points with them and for us to be in the mix til the end. Not miles out of it early and with 43 points with 2 games left. Only the other week we were 10th after 1 win in the first 20 games. 

Howe has had a remarkable start and overachieved enormously. You'd expect results to regress to the mean over time, since these players are not the top 4 team their points tally form suggests.

• Administrator
31 minutes ago, Honey Honey said:

Newcastle 3rd in the Premier League when taking the 17 games of the 2nd half of the season. If we were 3rd at Christmas in a new season how many of you lot would be laughing at the idea of Howe winning manager of the season? None.

You expected that off the back of the likes of Chris Wood, Matt Targett and Dan Burn coming in?

How much did you lot make down the bookies?

I was expecting to get to about 34 points with them and for us to be in the mix til the end. Not miles out of it early and with 43 points with 2 games left. Only the other week we were 10th after 1 win in the first 20 games. 

Howe has had a remarkable start and overachieved enormously. You'd expect results to regress to the mean over time, since these players are not the top 4 team their points tally form suggests.

My amusement is purely on the basis in that it's a 'of the season' award, not half season. 

17 minutes ago, Stan said:

My amusement is purely on the basis in that it's a 'of the season' award, not half season. 

Sounds daft to not judge on the accomplishment of the challenge in a season just because it didn't exist in August.

I would argue Frank has been nominated to some extent out of an underlying disrespect for Brentford. Whilst Vieira is there because he's Vieira, not because Palace accomplished anything.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Eddie Howe xD

Nah not having that. 

I'm not on the Potter hype however can see he's done a decent job at Brighton. Moyes should be considered too. 

Only manager to keep a side up who've not won in the first 14 they looked nailed on to fail and go down 

I would say it is between Pep and Klopp even though those squads make it much easier to manage a team.   I would say Moyes or Conte have been better given how poorly spurs started and how consistent moyes has been with West Ham even though it looks like they are barely hanging on now. 

9 hours ago, Honey Honey said:

Whilst Vieira is there because he's Vieira, not because Palace accomplished anything.

Wooooaaahhhhhh.

When Patrick Vieria took over at Crystal Palace he arrived to training with a first team that had lost nine players over the summer and had signed zero. All the bookies had us as favourites to go down as soon as he was appointed. Granted, the appointment of Vieira seemingly started a domino effect but other than Olise and Edouard I'd argue that everybody would have joined the club regardless.

Not only did he have to build effectively from scratch but he had do a complete 180 on the playing style and philosophy at the club. Which he nailed in a far quicker time than anybody expected. We had the worst ten fixtures of any team to start the season and bookies had Vieira as favourtie to be the first manager to be sacked. After ten games we had beaten Man City and were in the top half. It was phenomenal. We went from being arguably the worst or second worst teams to watch to being one of the most exciting teams (arguably the most exciting) outside the top five.

On top of that, several players have improved ten fold under Patrick Vieira. Marc Guehi has stepped up and become England International & Club Captain, Tyrick Mitchell has exceeded everybody's expectations by improving in every area and is now and England International and a nominee for young player of the year, Joel Ward has had his best season for us since Tony Pulis was manager, Joachim Anderson has become the Rolls Royce of a defender that people expected him to become before he transferred to Lyon, Will Hughes has had his best season as a professional footballer, Chekiou Kouyate was a nominee for POTY last season but has had his best season for Crystal Palace, Conor Gallagher is a completely different player to the one we saw under Sam Allaradyce and is now ready to force his way in to the Chelsea team as an England International, Jean Phillipe-Mateta looks a much better player than he was under Roy Hodgson and even our talisman Wilfried Zaha is having his best season despite us being so dependant on him for the previous five seasons.

For the record I think Eddie Howe has done a very good job at Newcastle United, but to say Patrick Vieira is there on namesake is extremely delusional.

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, Claret and Blue said:

Only manager to keep a side up who've not won in the first 14 they looked nailed on to fail and go down 

Yes you've mentioned several times xD

14 minutes ago, Claret and Blue said:

We had four points after eleven games when Tony Pulis was appointed manager in the 2013/14 season. One less than what Newcastle had when Eddie Howe was. There's no need to repeat that stat more than once.

• Subscriber

Last season Everton were 2nd on Boxing Day then finished 10th. There's no guarantee that a half season of performance extrapolates over the course of a full season. Just my personal opinion that a manager of the season should at least have proven their chops over the course of a full season. Not a sleight on any individual manager, just how I think it should be.

21 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

We had four points after eleven games when Tony Pulis was appointed manager in the 2013/14 season. One less than what Newcastle had when Eddie Howe was. There's no need to repeat that stat more than once.

11 games. Yeh and? He did it after 14 games without a win. I think it should go on his headstone to be honest 

56 minutes ago, Claret and Blue said:

11 games. Yeh and? He did it after 14 games without a win.

Eddie Howe was not appointed after fourteen matches. He was appointed after twelve. 

The twelfth game for us was when Tony Pulis was appointed and we immediately started winning.

More fool Eddie for not being able to immediately motivate his players.

Eddie Howe has very good job but it's evident some people are getting a little carried away.

£100m Howe can get to fuck from that list.

I can see why Moyes isn’t on it cos you don’t take European football into account but he’s had a great season overall.

Pep and Klopp doing as expected so no. I wanna say Frank, but I think Vieira has done a great job at Palace and probably deserves it. Everyone had them going down.

I think Potter has done a good job and deserves to be there over Howe, but not better than Frank or Vieira.

7 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Eddie Howe was not appointed after fourteen matches. He was appointed after twelve. 

The twelfth game for us was when Tony Pulis was appointed and we immediately started winning.

More fool Eddie for not being able to immediately motivate his players.

Eddie Howe has very good job but it's evident some people are getting a little carried away.

Whatever way we spin it they are still the only side to survive without winning their first 14. Simple as that 

• Subscriber

Forget Klopp or Pep, they have a team of star players anyway so for me it's got to be Howe or Moyes and I would give it to Moyes, he got the Hammers out of relegation 2017/18 and the board said "Thank you now fuck off".

I have always said that when they asked him to come back he should have said to them "No thanks, now YOU fuck off", but he never and has achieved a lot with the hammers since.

Give Howe his due and he must be right up there as manager of the year but the only thing I would question is how will he get on next year? how many times have we seen a manager work wonders with a team one year and fuck up the next?

I would put Vieira up there too as how many times have we heard that black managers don't get enough recognition, he was a great captain for the gunners and playing for Wenger must have helped him in the long run but like Howe, how will he get on next term?

To finish off, @Happy Blue would love his Peppy to be the manager of the year with his load of big star players but if they come unstuck and lose the title to Liverpool then Peppy will have nothing to show for this season. xD

1 hour ago, CaaC (John) said:

Forget Klopp or Pep, they have a team of star players anyway so for me it's got to be Howe or Moyes and I would give it to Moyes, he got the Hammers out of relegation 2017/18 and the board said "Thank you now fuck off".

I have always said that when they asked him to come back he should have said to them "No thanks, now YOU fuck off", but he never and has achieved a lot with the hammers since.

Give Howe his due and he must be right up there as manager of the year but the only thing I would question is how will he get on next year? how many times have we seen a manager work wonders with a team one year and fuck up the next?

I would put Vieira up there too as how many times have we heard that black managers don't get enough recognition, he was a great captain for the gunners and playing for Wenger must have helped him in the long run but like Howe, how will he get on next term?

To finish off, @Happy Blue would love his Peppy to be the manager of the year with his load of big star players but if they come unstuck and lose the title to Liverpool then Peppy will have nothing to show for this season. xD

If we don't win the league 3 years running peppy should be sacked tbh

Archived