• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2021/22 Premier League Manager of the Season

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

Yep, you bought the league with dodgy deals and back handers, well done :coffee:

TBH buddy I don't think Pep will be around long enough like SAF & Wenger did, as SAF once said that managers nowadays last around 4 years max and if they don't achieve anything in that time they are gone.

Football goes around in cycles to me, we had the Sir Matt Busby era, then it was Shanks & Paisley then the SAF & Wenger era and now we have the Pep & Klopp era happening, I wonder who it is next?

16 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

TBH buddy I don't think Pep will be around long enough like SAF & Wenger did, as SAF once said that managers nowadays last around 4 years max and if they don't achieve anything in that time they are gone.

Football goes around in cycles to me, we had the Sir Matt Busby era, then it was Shanks & Paisley then the SAF & Wenger era and now we have the Pep & Klopp era happening, I wonder who it is next?

Who ever takes over from Pep :4_joy:  ..id like Mancini to come back

• Subscriber
13 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

Who ever takes over from Pep :4_joy:  ..id like Mancini to come back

I am fucked if why you never kept Pellegrini after Mancini left, Mancini got you a league title, an FA Cup and a charity shield and he got the boot for Pellegrini who got you lot another league title and 2 league cups.

As they say your bloody owners wanted European glory by splashing all the multi-million deals out just like PSG, no European glory then you are out of the door.

They should go back to the old days when managers like Busby, SAF, Shanks, Paisley, Clough, Wenger etc who did all the wheeling and dealing and told the owners who they wanted and didn't want and not like nowadays with managers saying "Yes, sir, no sir, 3 bags full sir..." 

8 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

I am fucked if why you never kept Pellegrini after Mancini left, Mancini got you a league title, an FA Cup and a charity shield and he got the boot for Pellegrini who got you lot another league title and 2 league cups.

As they say your bloody owners wanted European glory by splashing all the multi-million deals out just like PSG, no European glory then you are out of the door.

They should go back to the old days when managers like Busby, SAF, Shanks, Paisley, Clough, Wenger etc who did all the wheeling and dealing and told the owners who they wanted and didn't want and not like nowadays with managers saying "Yes, sir, no sir, 3 bags full sir..." 

We had an agreement with Pep, Pellegrini knew he was just standing in for him. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

We had an agreement with Pep, Pellegrini knew he was just standing in for him. 

But Pep just can't seem to win the Champions League as he did at Barca, he tried to at Bayern and got nowhere and did a runner now he is trying to get it at City, you should have still kept Mancini or Pellegrini and let them build on what they wanted, one of them two I reckon could have got you the Champions League Cup by now.

Even Chelsea won the CLC & FA Cup with a stand-in manager in Robert Di Matteo and they had an arsehole owner in the Russian Football Tsar, Abramovich xD

1 minute ago, CaaC (John) said:

But Pep just can't seem to win the Champions League as he did at Barca, he tried to at Bayern and got nowhere and did a runner now he is trying to get it at City, you should have still kept Mancini or Pellegrini and let them build on what they wanted, one of them two I reckon could have got you the Champions League Cup by now.

Even Chelsea won the CLC & FA Cup with a stand-in manager in Robert Di Matteo and they had an arsehole owner in the Russian Football Tsar, Abramovich xD

We will win the European fa cup at some point, we just need a cup manger so we can finish midtable, win it then claim to be the best team in europe despite not even being the best team in England :ph34r: ... in the mean time Pep's reeling in your title record ;)

• Subscriber
37 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

in the mean time Pep's reeling in your title record ;)

Lol, I don't think Pep will be around long enough to beat our League & 1st Division titles combined 20, Liverpool has more of a chance than City as they are right up our arse with 19, City only have 7 so you are saying Pep will be with City another 13 years to try. xD

2 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Lol, I don't think Pep will be around long enough to beat our League & 1st Division titles combined 20, Liverpool has more of a chance than City as they are right up our arse with 19, City only have 7 so you are saying Pep will be with City another 13 years to try. xD

Show me where i said Pep will be the man to win our 21st league title? :coffee: ..i said he's reeling you in and we have 8 already ;) (barring some major collapse against Villa :4_joy:

Imo, I'd give it to Vieira.

But also I'd give it to Klopp, because I'm biased.

But putting all bias aside, I go with Vieira. He's come into Crystal Palace and completely changed the way they've played to something more progressive, modern and attacking to the way Palace have played for... pretty much as long as I can remember. And I thought Hodgson did a really good job with them, but I can see why they've moved on and in picking Vieira they picked a manager that's done wonders imo.

But that list is pretty good, I can make a case for almost all of them:

• Frank: I think it's a real accomplishment that Brentford's safety in the league was never really in doubt at any point in their first season up. I probably wouldn't give him the award because I think they sort of fell off pretty massively after they started better than most people would have expected... bit harsh considering the achievement of coming up and not looking out of place in the league at all almost instantly... but it's a big award so he's under a microscope in being judged here.
  • Howe: honestly, he's done a remarkable job even though I really wanted him to fail. Only reason I'm not giving him the award despite how well he's done since coming in is because it's manager "of the season" and he's up against people who've been doing a great job all season.
  • Klopp: after what was a painful injury ridden season, he's once again responded to Pep throwing the gauntlet down with style. It's a PL only award... but like @Cicerosays to still have us in the hunt against this City side and winning 2 competitions on the way, while getting us a trip to Paris for the CL final is absolutely remarkable.

The only one I can't really make a case for is Pep. Considering the resources he has and the standards he's set, I think it's unrealistic to give him manager of the year unless he does something absolutely absurd like lead City to 38 victories over a whole season. He was expected to win the league - and he probably will - but even so... he's not run away with it like in previous years, he's being run to the wire.

But I think considering what Vieira has done... his achievements are very impressive. Many managers have come in and tried to change a longstanding way of playing at their new clubs and end up failing miserably. Vieira's come in and done a fantastic job without an insane budget and I'm looking forward to seeing how he builds on a very good year in changing the style for Palace.

• Subscriber

It's all about context. Finishing in the 10th-14th region looks like a solid but not immense season for Crystal Palace but when you look beyond that and take into account the changes in the team and their approach it's been really impressive from Vieira.

I also think Wolves being just a few points off the European spots after where they were last season is underrated from Bruno Lage.

If you look at the top guys, I struggle to see a category in which Guardiola beats Klopp even if he wins the title. I personally don't agree with looking outside the Premier League for a Premier League award but you don't have to to make that distinction to be honest.

Moyes has done well but if you're harsh it's nothing they didn't achieve last season.

Thomas Frank has to be up there too going into the last weekend with an outside chance of finishing in the top half.

• 2 weeks later...

Back to back league titles with no striker just for the challenge, can only be Pep. He's seen off the challenge of united out spending him and Klopp's nearly me, well deserved :congrats:but looks like next season he's set the challenge to win the league by a record points tally having bought 2 World class striker's for the club, just give him next years award now too :hh:

On 29/05/2022 at 15:55, Cicero said:

Coin toss for me now. 

Klopp taking Liverpool the distance in all comps and Pep for retaining the league with literally no recognisable ST. 

We don’t have a recognisable ST. City play with three upfront like we do. Think this “no striker” stuff is massively overplayed for them. Foden, Sterling, Jesus…they have all played that central position up front for them. 

4 minutes ago, Rick said:

We don’t have a recognisable ST. City play with three upfront like we do. Think this “no striker” stuff is massively overplayed for them. Foden, Sterling, Jesus…they have all played that central position up front for them. 

Fair point. 

On 29/05/2022 at 16:00, Happy Blue said:

Back to back league titles with no striker just for the challenge, can only be Pep. He's seen off the challenge of united out spending him and Klopp's nearly me, well deserved :congrats:but looks like next season he's set the challenge to win the league by a record points tally having bought 2 World class striker's for the club, just give him next years award now too :hh:

its like playing golf from the furtherest tee while everyyone else tees off from the ladies tee.

We haven't got an out and out striker either!

Not sure why Pep gets so much credit for playing without one? Maybe he didn't want one? 

If he hadn't spent £175 gazillion on fullbacks then maybe, just maybe, City owners could have afforded a striker. 

Archived