The better place to talk football.

Stefan Ortega joins Manchester City

• The title was changed to Stefan Ortega leaves Bielefeld
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
7 hours ago, Coma said:

I'd love to see him at Stuttgart.  I think he'd be great at Bremen, too.

Would love him at Bremen, if Pavlenka leaves this summer. 

4 hours ago, nudge said:

Would love him at Bremen, if Pavlenka leaves this summer. 

There were some rumors during broadcast of the Bremen match that they may be in the market for a new keeper due to Pavlenka's post shot xG this season. That would be an awesome move. He deserves a step up to a bigger club.

• Subscriber
15 hours ago, Coma said:

There were some rumors during broadcast of the Bremen match that they may be in the market for a new keeper due to Pavlenka's post shot xG this season. That would be an awesome move. He deserves a step up to a bigger club.

A what?... xD

Nah, if he leaves, then it's because his contract expires. But I have just read strong rumours that he's about to extend it!

45 minutes ago, nudge said:

A what?... xD

Nah, if he leaves, then it's because his contract expires. But I have just read strong rumours that he's about to extend it!

So post-shot xG analyzes the expected saves for shots on goal versus the actual saves, or something along those lines 🧐.  Essentially, did he save it when he should have saved it?  Did he save shots that he should not have saved, i.e. superhuman stuff?  

Ortega is rated very highly.  Florian Müller at Stuttgart is rated very poorly as another example.  The discussion around how many goals Bremen conceded this past season was what triggered the Ortega discussion.  But you as well as anyone would know that the injuries to the key defenders during the season had a major impact.  There has been a patchwork in defense, which makes the promotion achievement all that more impressive.  

32 minutes ago, nudge said:

Aaaaaand it's official now: Pavlenka has signed a new contract today!

So no Ortega for us.

Ah well.  I hope he goes to Stuttgart then.

• Subscriber
30 minutes ago, Coma said:

So post-shot xG analyzes the expected saves for shots on goal versus the actual saves, or something along those lines 🧐.  Essentially, did he save it when he should have saved it?  Did he save shots that he should not have saved, i.e. superhuman stuff?  

Ortega is rated very highly.  Florian Müller at Stuttgart is rated very poorly as another example.  The discussion around how many goals Bremen conceded this past season was what triggered the Ortega discussion.  But you as well as anyone would know that the injuries to the key defenders during the season had a major impact.  There has been a patchwork in defense, which makes the promotion achievement all that more impressive.  

Ah well.  I hope he goes to Stuttgart then.

Reflexes, 1 on 1 situations and shot stopping are Pavlenka's biggest strengths whereas his weaknesses are probably penalty area control, play opening, and the technical side of the game in general, so to be honest I am not sure if this "post-shot xG" stuff was ever an actual concern for us. As you said, a big part of it is defender injuries, mistakes and lack of discipline at the back, too. I also think that 43 conceded goals in 34 matches is not that bad; only HSV and Fortuna conceded less this season. There were 26 conceded goals in 23 matches with Pavlenka in goal, 17 in 11 with Zetterer - which actually makes Pavlenka third best keeper in the league this season in terms of minutes per goal conceded. And if you remove the  outlier goalkeeper that played less than 10 games, then he's second best, only barely behind Heuer Fernandes (although there's pretty much nothing separating the top 4):

Q21uuEB.png

Overall, I agree that Ortega is a better keeper and would have definitely been an improvement, but even if Pavlenka left, it would have probably been a bit too unrealistic for us to sign him...

I personally think he'll end up at Union.

• 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Stefan Ortega leaves Bielefeld - Set to join Manchester City
38 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

New reserve keeper, Zack Steffen is leaving

He's got the skill to be starting somewhere.  Obviously he's not going to displace Ederson so it must have been a money grab.

10 minutes ago, Coma said:

He's got the skill to be starting somewhere.  Obviously he's not going to displace Ederson so it must have been a money grab.

Maybe, smart move from us though if Ederson gets injured we have a good backup and the carling Cup team just got stronger 😂

3 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

Zack Steffen is leaving

Where's he headed? Really liked him at Fortuna. If he hadn't gotten injured, he might have saved us from relegation. His stats were incredible. 

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

Where's he headed? Really liked him at Fortuna. If he hadn't gotten injured, he might have saved us from relegation. His stats were incredible. 

No team has been named yet so he might be considering he's options ..decent young keeper from what i've seen, he understandably wants more game time 

Getting to join and experience a club like Man City really is a no brainer, especially if you've only known 1860 München and Arminia Bielefeld in your professional career. xD 

He might gets a game every now and then too, and Man City have a solid back-up goalkeeper. I don't find it THAT bizarre, although I thought I was having a fever dream when I saw the headline. 

16 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Thats a little out of left field. Bizarre choice.

Makes lots of sense for him and us, he's a good keeper so a good back up for Ederson and for him it's a last payday with him being nearly 30 now i think? ..he gets to finish out his career at a top club and experience all that comes with it. he will play the cup games and if Ederson gets injured he's in the first 11

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Getting to join and experience a club like Man City really is a no brainer, especially if you've only known 1860 München and Arminia Bielefeld in your professional career. xD 

He might gets a game every now and then too, and Man City have a solid back-up goalkeeper. I don't find it THAT bizarre, although I thought I was having a fever dream when I saw the headline. 

Yeah I suppose youre right, If I was in his shoes and had the choice of nearly any Bundesliga club or even a starting role potentially elsewhere I would take that. But as you say maybe I wouldnt maybe hes right to make this choice and im a big dumb dumb.

3 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Yeah I suppose youre right, If I was in his shoes and had the choice of nearly any Bundesliga club or even a starting role potentially elsewhere I would take that. But as you say maybe I wouldnt maybe hes right to make this choice and im a big dumb dumb.

I mean Man City are one of the biggest clubs in the world. And it's always possible that Ederson loses his form or gets a long-term injury, and then you go from a one-horse town like Bielefeld to being the starting goalkeeper for one of the biggest clubs there is. He can still look elsewhere if he doesn't like what he finds there next season. 

Just now, Happy Blue said:

@Tommy thought you might be interested 

20220628_211222.jpg

He's 27 already, and spent most of his career as a loan keeper or a back-up. :o Hopefully he'll be Middlesbrough first choice and show some good performances! As I said, he was a great keeper for Fortuna, even if it was just 17 games in the end. 

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

He's 27 already, and spent most of his career as a loan keeper or a back-up. :o Hopefully he'll be Middlesbrough first choice and show some good performances! As I said, he was a great keeper for Fortuna, even if it was just 17 games in the end. 

I thought he was about 24 😂

• The title was changed to Stefan Ortega joins Manchester City

Archived