talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Have pitch invasions gone too far?

football forum

Have pitch invasions gone too far?   

17 members have voted

1. 1. Have pitch invasions gone too far?

• Yes
    • No

Two pitch invasions over the past weekend were Stuttgart avoiding relegation playoff on the last game of the season with a 90+ minute goal and Bremen securing promotion.  Both were awesome spectacles that had me a bit weepy-eyed at the raw emotion of it all.  Don't want to change that.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Missed this initially xD. I would have a dig back but I genuinely don't even know who you actually support so you'll have to do without.

Perth Glory. Worst run team in world football. No dig can match my own digs to the side. 😂

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Agree with that - I hope there are ways or strategies to co-ordinate together from club to fan groups and vice-versa.

I'd rather have solutions trialled as opposed to banning it outright. I feel like the latter will happen before the former based on events of the last few days. 

I don’t get it though as over here entering the field of play is an offence where you get fined. Different rules around the world I guess. Anyone know of other sports where pitch invasions happen when a very wealthy big team celebrate staying in the top division? I’d 100% understand it if it was a little club with no or little money who have avoided a catastrophic drop to non league football. 

12 minutes ago, Toinho said:

I don’t get it though as over here entering the field of play is an offence where you get fined. Different rules around the world I guess. Anyone know of other sports where pitch invasions happen when a very wealthy big team celebrate staying in the top division? I’d 100% understand it if it was a little club with no or little money who have avoided a catastrophic drop to non league football. 

I’m only half being serious here btw. 

I genuinely find this topic interesting - and it really seems to split people I know.

Pitch invading for not getting relegated a week before the season ends, and 6 minutes before the game ends is indefensible. You're one of the 6 richest clubs in the country. Give your heads a collective wobble. A pitch invasion for reaching the play off final is also fucking mental. Want to win the fucking thing first maybe? 

• Subscriber

It depends whether we're talking about the safety issue or whether the scale of the achievement dictates how much fans are "allowed" to celebrate. Because I have absolutely no time for the latter. People might call it a bit of a tinpot thing to do to have a pitch invasion over finishing in the top 17 out of 20 teams but that's taking it completely out of context, either through ignorance of the whole context surrounding that club at that time, or fully understanding the context but pretending not to in order to score cheap points against a rival fanbase.

But there is nothing more "tinpot" than going around criticising fans of any team for supporting their team "too much" regardless of the circumstances.

It is not lost on the Everton fanbase that survival in the Premier League should not be the pinnacle of our seasons.

3 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

It depends whether we're talking about the safety issue or whether the scale of the achievement dictates how much fans are "allowed" to celebrate. Because I have absolutely no time for the latter. People might call it a bit of a tinpot thing to do to have a pitch invasion over finishing in the top 17 out of 20 teams but that's taking it completely out of context, either through ignorance of the whole context surrounding that club at that time, or fully understanding the context but pretending not to in order to score cheap points against a rival fanbase.

But there is nothing more "tinpot" than going around criticising fans of any team for supporting their team "too much" regardless of the circumstances.

It is not lost on the Everton fanbase that survival in the Premier League should not be the pinnacle of our seasons.

Who fucking else in the history of the prem has pitch invaded a 17th spot? xD Wigan maybe? Even the bundesliga play off winner doesn't generally get a pitch invasion if it's the team staying up. 

• Subscriber
Just now, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Who fucking else in the history of the prem has pitch invaded a 17th spot? xD Wigan maybe? Even the bundesliga play off winner doesn't generally get a pitch invasion if it's the team staying up. 

I don't give a fuck whether every team in history has done it or Everton are the first. What do you care? It would be more embarrassing if Everton fans felt like running onto the pitch and celebrating with their team in any circumstances that they instead decided to sit in their seats and clap politely for a bit then go home because they don't want the celebration police on the internet to say mean things about them.

Imagine going around thinking that you have any business telling off fans of other teams for "celebrating too much" xD. It doesn't get more tinpot than that.

• Subscriber

On the safety issue, perhaps the awareness hasn't been very good because in the last two seasons, these games have happened without stadiums full of fans to run onto the pitch. The problem at Goodison specifically was that the away side's bench, including Vieira last night, have to cross from the dugouts to the far corner of the pitch because the away changing rooms have been kept over there after initially getting moved due to Covid bubbles or something.

Usually, there are mitigations where officials get ready to leave the pitch quickly and opposition players have the awareness to get straight down the tunnel if a pitch invasion looks likely. It's possible that that awareness has just slipped because it didn't happen for the last couple of seasons.

Although that guy who just nutted Billy Sharp the other day was clearly just a lunatic. If he doesn't get banged up for that at a football match then he probably does it outside Wetherspoon's instead one weekend and ends up in jail anyway. I stand by my belief that we don't need to have a big, serious chat about this because of one moron, and that perhaps the McBurnie and Vieira incidents mean that home sides and the security just need to think about having a better "evacuation plan" for visiting teams and officials to get them out of the way in the event of a pitch invasion. For example at Goodison Park last night, Vieira and his staff should have been sent down the main tunnel and out of the way instead of being asked to walk across half of the pitch like normal with fans running everywhere. But if you're in a stadium of 40,000 fans and a few thousand of them decide they're getting onto the pitch at the end, then realistically you aren't going to stop them.

In the 90s Brian Clough ran on to the pitch to grab a pitch invader.

Last game of the season at Villa Park and Ken Bates unwisely decides  to outdo Brian Clough yet miscalculates, the Chelsea crowd grab Bates and hoist him in the air running about chanting, 'Kenny Bate, Kenny Bates'.

It was hilarious.

However just before this moment it looked like there was going to be a massive pitch fight between Villa and Chelsea. Somehow it was avoided they don't recall how.

I think they're going to end up getting fences put up in England if they carry on at this rate. So yeah, they've gone too far.

Forest doing it for not even getting promoted was fucking stupid. Everton doing it for not getting relegated was stupid (but funny). With all the coked up morons attending matches noses full of beak and funneling more into their nostrils over the course of a match... I think sooner or later we're going to see something that makes the Billy Sharp incident look pretty mild.

As a lifelong Liverpudlian and spiritual Scouser, I can confirm it is indeed embarrassing that blue bingoheads are celebrating being just above shit enough for relegation. I'm sure my former season ticket seat neighbour @Dr. Gonzo agrees with me and this case is as settled,, cut and dry as Turd v Depp.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think they're going to end up getting fences put up in England if they carry on at this rate. So yeah, they've gone too far.

Forest doing it for not even getting promoted was fucking stupid. Everton doing it for not getting relegated was stupid (but funny). With all the coked up morons attending matches noses full of beak and funneling more into their nostrils over the course of a match... I think sooner or later we're going to see something that makes the Billy Sharp incident look pretty mild.

Play off semi final pitch invasions have been the norm of years. The violence seems to be new

37 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Absolute scenes as Everton have a 1-1 draw with Southampton first week back next season, and @RandoEFC invades the pitch because 'he's passionate and he don't care'

Everton beat Liverpool 1-1!

As far as I know, there are no metal detectors at matches??

What happens at the end of a match and the other team wins and then there's a pitch invasion? Who's to say someone doesn't bring a blade and stabs a supporter or a player.

Final season matches, the epl, efl, etc need to cough up to provide serious policing.

• Subscriber

It's not my fault that people are upset seeing that Everton have a better celebration for finishing 16th than their teams would have if they won the Champions League.

The absolute bitterness of Liverpool fans who wanted to see us go down is one thing because they actually have a rivalry with us but how wound up others are from Newcastle to Australia about it really is a sight to behold. Then they have the gall to turn around and suggest Everton fans are tinpot. Have a look a bit closer to home lads. xD

• Subscriber

I mean considering the season Everton just had would you really deny them the joy of celebrating with the team in some way? I don't think it was wrong but I do think the safety issues need ironing out just because we may end up with a situation where its not just a shove and something worse happens. 

Archived