talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Your Premier League 21/22 Team of the Season

• Subscriber
17 minutes ago, Inverted said:

The fact that I left Robertson out more than puts that to bed. I'm sorry that Big Bird didn't make the cut up front, if that's what you mean.

It absolutely doesn’t. Fabinho and Thiago over Rodri is laughable.

7 players from a team that didn’t win the league is ridiculous, however you try and dress it up. Some people just can’t be objective  

Kane has also had a better season than Mane too but don’t even care about that 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Storts said:

7 players from a team that didn’t win the league is ridiculous, however you try and dress it up. Some people just can’t be objective  

Tbh I think all of these XIs that don’t have at least one of Fabinho or Thiago are pretty bad xD

We didn’t win the league… but look how fucking close we came - I think one of them has to at least be in the side, being at the heart of a midfield that got over 90 points.

It’s either Thiago, who’s easily the most improved player in the league this season and looks like the guy we thought we were signing from Bayern. Or Fabinho who’s been an absolute beast in midfield.

I think one of them has to miss out cos I don’t think you can make a midfield that doesn’t have KDB.

Unless you move KDB into a front 3 - which might be fair because in fairness Kane and Mane weren’t as consistent over the whole season as Salah and Son.

But tbh I think most of these are poor and biased, so it’s a bit weird to single one person out for the midfield they picked. Especially when it’s not the only person who’s done that xD

29 minutes ago, Storts said:

I don't think he's clearly better than Fabinho, and I wouldn't pick both for a 4-3-3. Rodri is better in possession but I think that overall Fabinho is more reliable and complete as a defensive mid.

I did consider Bernardo over Thiago, but again, you could make similar arguments for another 1 or 2 of his teammates. If you've only got 3 midfielders to pick, I just feel like Fabinho and Thiago are the best in their roles in Prem. City are better over a season because they aren't reliant on any particular combination of players in midfield.

• Subscriber
13 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

what if I told you, this is subjective and anyone can put who they want without needing to explain it.

What’s the point in a forum if you can’t discuss it

• Subscriber
43 minutes ago, Inverted said:

I don't think he's clearly better than Fabinho, and I wouldn't pick both for a 4-3-3. Rodri is better in possession but I think that overall Fabinho is more reliable and complete as a defensive mid.

I did consider Bernardo over Thiago, but again, you could make similar arguments for another 1 or 2 of his teammates. If you've only got 3 midfielders to pick, I just feel like Fabinho and Thiago are the best in their roles in Prem. City are better over a season because they aren't reliant on any particular combination of players in midfield.

I don’t think he’s necessarily better either. I just think he’s had a better season. And has been one of city’s real standouts in winning the title. Should be in there with Kdb.

Id be tempted to have that two and then Salah Son Mane Kane. But Thiago or Bernardo would be in there if sticking to 4-3-3. 

• Subscriber
49 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Tbh I think all of these XIs that don’t have at least one of Fabinho or Thiago are pretty bad xD

We didn’t win the league… but look how fucking close we came - I think one of them has to at least be in the side, being at the heart of a midfield that got over 90 points.

It’s either Thiago, who’s easily the most improved player in the league this season and looks like the guy we thought we were signing from Bayern. Or Fabinho who’s been an absolute beast in midfield.

I think one of them has to miss out cos I don’t think you can make a midfield that doesn’t have KDB.

Unless you move KDB into a front 3 - which might be fair because in fairness Kane and Mane weren’t as consistent over the whole season as Salah and Son.

But tbh I think most of these are poor and biased, so it’s a bit weird to single one person out for the midfield they picked. Especially when it’s not the only person who’s done that xD

I’ve already praised you think you’re a brilliant side. Just not quite as good as city, and the midfield is one of the big reasons for that. So I find it strange not to have at least two of theirs in there as that’s where it’s been won for me. 

If you look at Liverpool's record where both Fabinho and Thiago have played, it's borderline impossible to improve on. If they had played week-in, week-out, or even just a few more matches, it seems likely that they would have won the league. The issue obviously is that they are only two players and you can't play them every week.

City imo don't have any particular midfield combination that is quite as good, but they have several which are extremely close. And in a league competition that's much more important.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Storts said:

I don’t think he’s necessarily better either. I just think he’s had a better season. And has been one of city’s real standouts in winning the title. Should be in there with Kdb.

Id be tempted to have that two and then Salah Son Mane Kane. But Thiago or Bernardo would be in there if sticking to 4-3-3. 

I think Mahrez has had just a good a season as Silva, if not better. Unlucky to miss out as well. 

Here's mine:

Alisson

Trent Matip Virgil Cancelo

Thiago Rodri KDB

Salah Son Mane

I feel like it should probably have another City player in there but... I don't think Ederson is better than Alisson. Matip's arguably been our best defender this season so I've got to put him in... and I think Virgil is and has been better than Dias and Stones so one of them is unfortunate to be left out. And Dias is probably the best shout.

The midfield is almost all City, because I agree with @Storts City's midfield is why they won the league. So I've got Rodri in over Fabinho, although I think with the season he's had... it's harsh to leave him out. KDB has to be in, I feel like he basically carried City after we clawed back that deficit City looked like they'd buried us under, and he's probably the best midfielder in the world tbh let alone the league. Thiago's one of the best players in the league this season and while Silva's been great, felt like I had to include him in the side.

And then I couldn't put a City player in my front 3 - even though City don't really have any bad players in their front 3. Son and Salah had two of the best individual performances this season for attackers (KDB too, but he's already in the team). So my reasoning was:

• Son's got to get in. First off, looking at his xG... he's massively outperformed that and that's because he is a ridiculously good finisher and so many of his goals are just from absolutely brilliant finishes. Second, he's been the most consistent attacking player in the league imo. Salah's close, but Son performed at the same standard pretty much the whole season. Whereas Salah had a ridiculous first half of the season, then couldn't really find his shooting boots consistently after AFCON (he still played well and had some key assists though).
    • Gotta reward quality and consistency, so Son's the first name in that front 3 imo. So that's one City player that can't make it in.
  • Salah's got to get in right after Son, it's not really even a question. There's 3 names that should be in everyone's teams imo: KDB, Son and Salah - I don't think any players had the seasons these 3 had.
    • So that's another City player that can't make it in.
  • Then the last spot has to be Kane and Mane. Neither of them play for City, though xD Kane's had better statistics over the season, but he was pretty... anonymous for the first half of the season. Mane also had a relatively subdued first half of the season compared to the second half of it - but I think he performed more for us in that first half than Kane really did. He also scored shitloads of incredible crucial goals for us in the second half of the season.
    • I might be biased too. But I ultimately went with Mane because his second half of the season was brilliant for a side that fought until the last league match before ultimately not winning the title... while also being a key part of a side that made 3 finals - and I think a front 3 of Salah - Son - Mane would work better in real life with the team I've picked and I like mine to look like they could realistically play together and be better than pretty much every side in the league.

But I'm also probably biased and you could probably swap out Dias for a CB (although I'm not sure which one given their performances for us this season) and swap in Silva for Thiago (although I think that's very harsh on Thiago).

On 23/05/2022 at 16:43, Cicero said:

Non City/Liverpool

Sanchez

R.James  Romero Rudiger Cucurella

Rice

Gallagher Kovacic

Ronaldo                          Son

Kane

Norgaard DM. Rice hasn’t really played that position this season anyway.

On 23/05/2022 at 10:25, Dan said:

PL TOTY (without top two)

Jose Sa

James - Silva - Dawson - Tierney

Rice - Kovacic

Bowen - Maddison - Son

Kane

That's my non-City/Liverpool XI too...

except I'd swap out Bowen with Ronaldo. Scoring that many goals with that shit side gets him on the list, even though I think Bowen's been really good over the course of the season. Maybe a bit harsh on Bowen, but I can't ignore Ronaldo scoring that many goals for this awful United. Without him their season would be looking even more hilariously shit.

• Subscriber
15 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

That's my non-City/Liverpool XI too...

except I'd swap out Bowen with Ronaldo. Scoring that many goals with that shit side gets him on the list, even though I think Bowen's been really good over the course of the season. Maybe a bit harsh on Bowen, but I can't ignore Ronaldo scoring that many goals for this awful United. Without him their season would be looking even more hilariously shit.

I was very close to putting Ronaldo in. It was a tough one. It's been a very strange season for strikers I think - really struggled picking forwards on FPL all season.

I had another midfielder as well and it's totally slipped my mind who it was.

• Subscriber

Think it was Guimaraes actually. I think both him and Eriksen would get in a second half of the season XI but you're drawing ridiculous boundaries by that point, you might as well pick "team of the year for players born in May".

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator
13 minutes ago, Danny said:

These teams never have a defensive midfielder and both Kane and Son deserve to be ahead of Ronaldo. People forget how turbulent Spurs’ season has been

Not Kane. 

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Storts said:

Had a better season than Ronaldo. Definitely should be in there 

As its only a front 3, I'd pick Salah, Son and Mane. I agree he's had a better season than Ronaldo. 

7 hours ago, 6666 said:

Footballers don't watch and analyse football like fans. They probably just listen to whatever pundits are saying. Which is why there are 6 Liverpool player in there...

Not that ridiculous really. There's such a small margin between Liverpool and Man City players in a number of positions that it's quite easy to see how one ends up with twice as many in a team that's voted for on individual performances.

7 hours ago, 6666 said:

Footballers don't watch and analyse football like fans. They probably just listen to whatever pundits are saying. Which is why there are 6 Liverpool player in there...

We should have 7 in there. Matip was our best CB this season and was certainly better than Rudiger.

16 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

We should have 7 in there. Matip was our best CB this season and was certainly better than Rudiger.

Bit of a stretch. Van Dijk was his usual flawless self for much of the season after a bit of a settling in period early in the season (probably still better than any CB in the league during this period anyway)

Rudiger was great for Chelsea as well.

Archived