talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Relegation Scraps

Easy thread. Based on the holes in your team that you think need filling, who would you pinch from the sides that have been relegated? Remembering in recent years that players like Wijnaldum and Shaqiri have gone on to win major silverware...

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Danny said:

Easy thread. Based on the holes in your team that you think need filling, who would you pinch from the sides that have been relegated? Remembering in recent years that players like Wijnaldum and Shaqiri have gone on to win major silverware...

Most years (except the last two? Not sure though), Klopp & our football director have been bargain hunting from relegated sides, so I'd be interested if they see any value in anyone who's failed to stay up.

But from Norwich - nah, don't really think any of them are any good.

Watford - Sarr's got potential to be a bigger player in the league.

Burnley - Cornett's the man that stands out there to me. I think Tarkowski's off too, but I think he may find it harder at a side that's not set up the same was a Burnley.

4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Most years (except the last two? Not sure though), Klopp & our football director have been bargain hunting from relegated sides, so I'd be interested if they see any value in anyone who's failed to stay up.

Burnley - Cornett's the man that stands out there to me. I think Tarkowski's off too, but I think he may find it harder at a side that's not set up the same was a Burnley.

We've been linked with Sarr a fair bit in recent years but I don't think he's done enough to earn a move to one of the top sides in the league. He'd also fail the 'no dickheads' policy after his support for Gueye the other week

8 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I find it interesting people think that about Tarkowski because he played for us before Burnley and we were a much more expansive side than them and the slotted in fine. I think people might be surprised at how decent he is with his feet.

Anyway, my list:

Watford: Emmanuel Dennis, Ismailia Sarr, Ben Foster (free agent technically, but would have him as back up)

Norwich: Max Aarons, Teemu Pukki

Burnley: Mee, McNeil, Cornet.

Players that stand out the most for me there are Dennis, Pukki and Aarons. I think all three plug gaps in our squad. Cornet will most likely go to a decent top ten side willing to splash the cash.

For me Pukki has been brilliant in a very poor side at Norwich and I don't see why he couldn't grab 15 goals in a team that can feed him properly. Dennis is someone who I think can play two different roles for us and offers flexibility, but physically he's such a presence and one of Watford's only real threats.

Aarons was once a potential star and I'm not sure where that potential has gone, but I'd happily take him as a right back to compete with someone who is on par with Rico Henry.

Teemu Pukki is the only player I'd sign as we havent got a small technical striker thats a good finisher. 

I wouldn't actively want to replace players already in our team. However I'd be happy if several of those players were considered as replacements (ie I'd take Aarons if Clyne left, I'd take Brownhill if MacArtur left, I'd take Sarr if Olise left etc) 

3 minutes ago, Danny said:

I find it interesting people think that about Tarkowski because he played for us before Burnley and we were a much more expansive side than them and the slotted in fine. I think people might be surprised at how decent he is with his feet.

I think there's just been a case of a few CB's leaving Burnley and looking completely exposed that's probably causing some bias there. I've also seen it before where CBs who play in sides that get more protection from their midfield, not just from Burnley, don't do as well when they're playing behind a midfield with just one "defensive minded" midfielder.

But yeah, maybe he'd be fine. I haven't really seen him ever outside of at Burnley.

• Subscriber

A lot of Norwich's exciting young players seem to be vastly overrated to me. None of them have caught my eye this season. Tarkowski is available on a free isn't he? We've been linked with him. He's a decent defender but you also have to question whether he fits in to how some teams try to play. Cornet is probably too good for the Championship. Pope as well but you never know with goalkeepers whether they'll just end up staying put because nobody really needs one the summer they become available despite them being good enough to play at a higher level. Watford, meh. Sarr and Dennis have been decent but not consistent. Like those Norwich players, often seem to get a bit of an inflated reputation because of one or two occasions where they've turned up and done some damage against one of the teams that compete at the top. Maybe I'm being harsh but if you're not delivering most weeks then you're probably only going to be good enough for teams that finish about 14th anyway.

1 hour ago, Danny said:

Robertson has probably been our best signing from a relegated side. 

• Subscriber

I think Watford have some alright attackers. I think Sarr, Dennis and Pedro are all good enough for this league.

Norwich I can honestly say I fancy nobody.

Burnley... actually think Cornet is not a bad player. Pope's a funny one for me. Can't tell if he's genuinely good or slightly overrated because of the style of play his side plays.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

A lot of Norwich's exciting young players seem to be vastly overrated to me. None of them have caught my eye this season.

Remember when about 6 of their players were being linked to top half sides a couple of years ago, after posting... 20 points in a Premier League season.

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Dan said:

Remember when about 6 of their players were being linked to top half sides a couple of years ago, after posting... 20 points in a Premier League season.

Cantwell, Aarons, Buendia, Godfrey, and Lewis.

Where are they now? Norwich's bench, Norwich, Aston Villa (14th), Everton (16th) and Newcastle (11th)... yeah.

3 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Cantwell, Aarons, Buendia, Godfrey, and Lewis.

Where are they now? Norwich's bench, Norwich, Aston Villa (14th), Everton (16th) and Newcastle (11th)... yeah.

For some of them, though, isn't that not so much because they're not talented enough?

For Cantwell, tbh I think he's quite talented... but it seems like he's got a bit of an attitude problem, falling out with one manager and another manager seeming totally unimpressed with him.

Aarons to me seems like a decent player on a bad team - sort of hard to judge.

Tbh, I never rated Buendia all that much when they were in the prem... so when Villa signed him I thought he'd either kick on and show there was a reason they'd signed him, but more likely that he'd be sort of shite. One season later and I think he's a bit shit tbh otherwise they wouldn't have been so keen to make the expensive Coutinho purchase.

Godfrey joined Everton, who are famously one of the most mismanaged clubs in the country. Maybe would be a bit more fair to judge him when/if Everton ever get a semblance of stability - perhaps after a season under Fat Frank.

Lewis looked like a decent player on a bad team and joined Newcastle, who were also famously one of the most mismanaged clubs in the country when he joined. I think he should be judged more in this era of Newcastle that is trying to wash away the stench of Wahhabism from the Saudis - where they've gained stability and really turned their season around.

I think some of these players are actually decent, just not in the systems they were using at Norwich. Having said that when you've got over half an XI that's supposedly decent and they look as shit as Norwich were that season... I guess it's fair to question whether they are actually as good as people thought.

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

For Cantwell, tbh I think he's quite talented... but it seems like he's got a bit of an attitude problem, falling out with one manager and another manager seeming totally unimpressed with him.

Attitude problems and inconsistency are as bad as a lack of talent, though, if not worse. Cantwell has had two full seasons since he caught people's eye and gone backwards. Godfrey, granted, hasn't been provided with any semblance of stability and has constantly been used at full back to cover for a lack of recruitment at Everton and has a good set of raw attributes so yeah, maybe give him a little longer. It doesn't paint a great picture overall though about how highly some of those players are rated.

Robertson is obviously the stand out in recent years and if we park the banter and his awful season then Maguire clearly was good enough for a decent move after relegation too. Pickford as well. These were all real stand outs in their relegation sides though and it was clear they would get a move. I don't think there's any in that category this season. A few that have been mentioned are good enough for a mid/lower move but it's not the most exciting pool to go fishing in this year in my opinion.

If you search the internet hard enough you'll find out why Todd Cantwell was loaned to Bournemouth and seems to be struggling mentally.

The rest I think there's still time to play significant roles at there clubs. Other than Jamal Lewis who'll need to take one step backwards to hopefully move two step forwards now away from Newcastle.

Ben Godfrey seems to already be in that category of very useful for a side outside the European places but isn't necessarily going to be a leader that will force your side in to the European places. Unfortunately for Everton it looks like they've signed too many young English players like that in the last 5+ years.

Norwich fans when I spoke to them at the Palace game were disappointed by Max Aarons. I think the big hope was he'd be the one to really develop this season that they'd sell for Buendia money. If anything his value has dropped this season. He's still only 22 so there's still plenty of time for him to develop in to the all rounded wing back he has the raw attributes to be.

• Administrator

We've been linked with Tarkowski for a few transfer windows. It seems to be a transfer that will make sense on a free if Soyuncu goes and Vestergaard who should be leaving. 

Pope would be a good buy for any PL side. 

Dennis from Watford is a decent striker. 

Archived