talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Would you want to be able to be awake for 24 hours every day?

football forum

Would you want to be able to be awake for 24 hours every day?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want to be able to be awake for 24 hours?

• Yes
    • No

10 minutes ago, nudge said:

Which part of "no side effects" people don't understand?... xD

To be honest Nudge, If they can't grasp the basics do we really want them being awake for 24 hours??? Personally I think it would be a blessing if they were out of our hair for 8 hours of the day..  xD

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
11 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

To be honest Nudge, If they can't grasp the basics do we really want them being awake for 24 hours??? Personally I think it would be a blessing if they were out of our hair for 8 hours of the day..  xD

How many 9GAG videos can you post in a full day without sleep :ph34r:?

• Subscriber
44 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Absolutely... Think we're better off with them asleep for 24 hours xD

6 hours ago, nudge said:

Which part of "no side effects" people don't understand?... xD it's a hypothetical scenario in which your body and mind don't need the sleep and you can stay awake forever without suffering any consequences. 

So mourning for an extra eight hours a day or being awake during an illness is a side effect? I don’t think so, that’s an inherit reality of it. An extra 8 hours a day a depressed person can contemplate suicide, extra eight hours of pain from illness. There are negatives

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Spike said:

So mourning for an extra eight hours a day or being awake during an illness is a side effect? I don’t think so, that’s an inherit reality of it. An extra 8 hours a day a depressed person can contemplate suicide, extra eight hours of pain from illness. There are negatives

Negatives in certain life situations, sure. I think it's fairly safe to assume though that in an alternative reality where sleep isn't a thing, human brains and bodies would have evolved to live without it, and there would be other biological mechanisms of mental and physical recovery.

• Subscriber

Depends how far you want to push the side effects thing. Can you guarantee that I wouldn't simply get bored being constantly awake? xD

Of course I'd love to effectively double my leisure time every day but life for me is designed too much around that day/night cycle.

The whole not having a break thing would be weird. It would be like books not having chapters and being one wall of text or TV series that didn't have series or even episodes, just one huge long video.

Going to bed and getting back up is also a great way to put a shit day behind you and having a fresh start the next day.

As a bit of a night owl, though, I do see the temptation. As a compromise, I'd love to be able to get away with 4 hours a sleep each night instead of needing 7-8.

Having to constantly be awake will increase overthinking, thus increasing anxiety. Anxiety leads to stress and depression. 

Being a parent, you absolutely adore sleep 2nd to your children. 

• Subscriber
30 minutes ago, Stan said:

A.k.a a film :ph34r:

😛

No but I mean can you imagine watching Game of Thrones all in a row without episodes?

You could extend the analogy to turn Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter into a single film instead of a series.

Stuff is good in somewhat digestible chunks.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Mel81x said:

I wonder what we'd use as a method for decoupling ourselves from the previous day or a bad day if sleep wasn't an option? 

Lay in a hammock with a drink in a hand and watch the sunrise. At least that's what I'd do 😅 

Meditation would be much more popular.

I'm sure illegal drugs that knock you out for a few hours would be a thing, too. 

I think in general, the brain would have developed to process and regulate emotions better, and be more resilient to stress.

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, nudge said:

I'm sure illegal drugs that knock you out for a few hours would be a thing, too. 

Would that count as sleep?

What about anesthesia - being put to sleep? 

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Stan said:

Would that count as sleep?

What about anesthesia - being put to sleep? 

No, because being unconscious (whether from anesthesia, oxygen deprivation, psychoactive substances, blunt trauma, etc)  and sleeping are two very different neurological states.

17 hours ago, Cicero said:

Having to constantly be awake will increase overthinking, thus increasing anxiety. Anxiety leads to stress and depression. 

Being a parent, you absolutely adore sleep 2nd to your children. 

This.

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, nudge said:

Lay in a hammock with a drink in a hand and watch the sunrise. At least that's what I'd do 😅 

Meditation would be much more popular.

I think in general, the brain would have developed to process and regulate emotions better, and be more resilient to stress.

But all those fun activities lead to sleepy time or shutdown time. I think we'd actually learn to control our minds better like you stated. We'd also be able to shut out external stimuli to get some pseudo-rest.

Archived