talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Lampard Loses Out To Clotet For Oxford Job

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Must be ace knowing that if you're a good player you've got at least 2-3 shots at management in the Football League without having to bother with qualifications or knowing anything about coaching. 

• Subscriber

Unsure on his credentials in terms of management but at least he's not gone out demanding a Premier League job like some do.

Oxford have been a club on the rise but it may have hit a glass ceiling, been doing a bit of reading about it following our Appleton appointment and it sounds like for all they've done very well in the last few years, things aren't all that rosy there anymore.

• Administrator
6 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Must be ace knowing that if you're a good player you've got at least 2-3 shots at management in the Football League without having to bother with qualifications or knowing anything about coaching. 

A lot of players start or complete qualifications towards the end of their playing careers. I don't know Lampard's situation though. 

Regardless whether he has the badges. He, and every other ex player should work from the bottom up. I don't care if you're Gerrard, Scholes or Ferdinand...i wouldn't hire you as first team manager in your very first job. At most you would get a coaching role for starters. These ex pros should have to prove themselves more. Giggs for example, given the caretaker job at Utd for shiting time, and is now linked with every open job going, he's proved fuck all.

1 hour ago, True Blue said:

Like dad said i also think he has the Uefa B licence, so he isn't without experience.

He is with Licence son... but not the experience. There is a world of difference between the Theory and the Practical... 

• Administrator
Just now, Bluewolf said:

He is with Licence son... but not the experience. There is a world of difference between the Theory and the Practical... 

for example, your son knows how to have sex, but has not passed the practical test yet. 

1 minute ago, Bluewolf said:

I meant relevant education, still the Uefa B licence is only for amateur clubs and assistant coaches for pro clubs.

1 hour ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Coaching badges are just a money making scam by UEFA. Someone who has spent 2 decades in the game doesn't need to go to school to learn how to put cones out.

Michael Brown doesn't have a licence and even he can do that! 

Michael Brown hired an ice cream van to surprise his team-mates at Port Vale on Thursday

The former Premier League midfielder brought it in to celebrate his 39th birthday earlier this week

6 hours ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Coaching badges are just a money making scam by UEFA. Someone who has spent 2 decades in the game doesn't need to go to school to learn how to put cones out.

I agree with you about the coaching badges, but at the same time spending 2 decades in the game doesn't automatically make you a good coach/manager.

I like Lampard so would quite like to see this happen.

Always interesting to see how it works out when top players go into management, a few go onto be great but there's a few who've fallen flat on their face.

34 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

You just know he'd be rubbish, don't you? He should stick to TV. 

Watch him take them from league one to the Champions League in 6 seasons. Stuff like that doesn't go unnoticed. 

4 hours ago, Large said:

I agree with you about the coaching badges, but at the same time spending 2 decades in the game doesn't automatically make you a good coach/manager.

True, but it does mean some advantages. Much better players and coaching staff will want to play for and work at Oxford under Frank Lampard than under someone who has been promoted from the local council :ph34r: 

Most appointments are a gamble. If you are stuck at the same level it's worth a go. Oxford aren't stuck which would make this a bigger gamble. On top of all that they have a stand missing and the place smells of cows :70_poop:

Oxford is a funny one, the city itself is big enough but it also draws support from the towns around it which are all fairly big themselves. They're basically in that bracket of Swindon and Bristol City where for "small" clubs they have decent sized stadiums, and for "small" clubs they have a fairly large area to draw on for support, and if they had the right investment or right owners they could do a lot more than they already are.

But like most they will probably languish around L1/L2, but I think Lampard could be an astute signing for them.

4 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

True, but it does mean some advantages. Much better players and coaching staff will want to play for and work at Oxford under Frank Lampard than under someone who has been promoted from the local council :ph34r: 

Most appointments are a gamble. If you are stuck at the same level it's worth a go. Oxford aren't stuck which would make this a bigger gamble. On top of all that they have a stand missing and the place smells of cows :70_poop:

It does. He'll definitely get the respect from other players and staff for no other reason than his playing career. I was generalising. I actually think that if it was something that interested him he would put his all into it, but with so much more to deal with than just the trainig and games it will be a challenge.

• The title was changed to Lampard Loses Out To Clotet For Oxford Job

Archived