talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Nottm Forest Back in the Premier League!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

The cynic in me just thinks Steve Cooper is just getting a (deserved) fatter pay off when the owner slips in to old habits.

This is what I thought. There’s no way they have the utmost confidence in him like they claim. He’ll be on thin ice if they don’t get anything against Villa. 

51 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

The cynic in me just thinks Steve Cooper is just getting a (deserved) fatter pay off when the owner slips in to old habits.

From a business standpoint... why would they do that though?

Why would they pay out more money than they would otherwise if they're planning on getting rid of him? Millionaires and billionaires typically don't like handing out money when they otherwise would have had to, especially not out of the "goodness of their hearts" regardless of whether or not Cooper deserves it.

• Subscriber

Nottingham Forest sack two staff involved in summer recruitment

Nottingham Forest have sacked two of the staff that were heavily involved in the summer recruitment that saw 22 players join the club.

Head of recruitment George Syrianos and Andy Scott, the head scout, have both left the City Ground.

Their exits follow Filippo Giraldi's arrival as sporting director last week - but it is understood owner Evangelos Marinakis was part of the decisions.

Forest spent £145m after ending a 23-year absence from the Premier League.

As a result of out-of-contract and loan players leaving - in addition to the increase in quality needed for the top flight - Forest required a significant influx of players following their promotion as Championship play-off winners.

However, with the club second bottom of the Premier League, the quality of the additions is being questioned.

Forest have five points after nine Premier League matches and have picked up only two from their last seven games.

Only Wolverhampton Wanderers - who they meet at Molineux on Saturday - have scored fewer than their seven goals and only Leicester have conceded more than their 22.

Despite their difficult start to the campaign, manager Steve Cooper signed a new contract until 2025 on 7 October when the club sat bottom after eight games.

There had been doubts over his future following a 4-0 defeat by Leicester City, but it was decided he would remain in charge.

The appointment of sporting director Giraldi, who spent nine years at Watford, is viewed as an attempt to guide the club through their difficult return to the top flight.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63225938

That Nottingham Forest podcast released by The Athletic is quite a concerning listen. They tried there best to present the owner as some sort of ambitious entrepreneur but all I could think is that if they go down this season FFP is going to hold them back for god knows how long.

On 15/10/2022 at 18:40, The Palace Fan said:

That Nottingham Forest podcast released by The Athletic is quite a concerning listen. They tried there best to present the owner as some sort of ambitious entrepreneur but all I could think is that if they go down this season FFP is going to hold them back for god knows how long.

fuck by an anchor - alestorm

• 2 months later...
On 06/10/2022 at 04:03, Dan said:

Binning off their recruitment team. I'm convinced they're binning the good heads to try and deflect blame. Absolute car crash and nailed on for 20th IMO.

On the same points as Leicester now. 👀

• 4 weeks later...

Andre Ayew becomes the 30th player in the door this season at Forest.

There's no plan. There's never been a plan. It's literally go for anything with a pulse just because they can.

Chuck 100 darts at the bull and you'll hit it 7 or 8 times.

Personally, I don't like to see that approach rewarded. Hope things come crashing down for them.

FB_IMG_1675367909034.jpg

5 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Andre Ayew becomes the 30th player in the door this season at Forest.

There's no plan. There's never been a plan. It's literally go for anything with a pulse just because they can.

Chuck 100 darts at the bull and you'll hit it 7 or 8 times.

Personally, I don't like to see that approach rewarded. Hope things come crashing down for them.

I wouldn't say that's not a plan. I think very clearly Forest's plan has been: bring in a high volume of players that have looked the part in the league at surviving relegation or better. Is it the best use of money? Probably not. Is it sustainable? No, no way in hell. Do I think they think it's a sustainable strategy? I doubt they do.

But for them, the goal this season especially is just to survive. And signing players like Ayew, who was believed to be joining other relegation battling sides, keeps their direct competition from being able to use a player that maybe would have helped them - even if they flop. And the more expensive of those signings I think are players that are either: very sellable assets for Forest if they go down or players they'll be relying on to try to get promoted ASAP.

It's easy to dislike a club coming up and spending a shitload while generally looking not that great of a side. But from their perspective, they've been out in the wilderness for a while... were promoted with a squad that was not sustainable in the prem (because of how they were relying on loans for that side that was promoted) and have a wealthy owner and now access to that TV money. I don't really begrudge them for spending so hard in desperation to try to just try to survive. And imo if they succeed in staying up for a few seasons, I think we'll likely see their transfer strategy shift rapidly.

But they are definitely acting like a kid who's cheating in FM but still can't get the best players to come to his side despite cheating, and that is weird.

• Subscriber

Don't know why any Premier League club is in for Ayew other than he was on a free transfer and he once played in the league.

33 years old, washed up in Qatar and wasn't particularly impressive in his prime. I'm glad the links to us haven't come to fruition.

I read it was 31 signings for Forest since they got promoted. Just absolutely mental. By continuing to bring in players aren't they essentially admitting already that a good chunk of the ones they've signed are no good?

Reminds me a lot of QPR back in the day. They survived a year or two after being out of the top flight for ages and then they imploded, got relegated and have been out of the top flight for ages again since.

Forest did it the Villa way. They were both in a situation they had to sign lots of players in. For Villa it perhaps made more sense, at the end of their parachute period (as I understand it)

Obviously Forest had been in the Championship a long time, so it's a bit eyebrow raising to me that they simply had to sign up loads of players. Rather than having a Championship level squad, with potential. Villa did get Matty Cash from Forest. Where were the rest of them?

Andre Ayew was always the better Ayew. He did have a great record early in his career. Not sure why Forest have decided they need him. And kind of feels like he would have just been a typical Everton mistake if he'd ended up there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Forest's main CBs are out long-term. McKenna for up to 8 weeks, and Boly out for the season.

But now Forest have 'applied to the Premier League' to ask for Steve Cook to be added back into the 25-man squad because of the 'injury crisis'?

How is that even allowed as an option? You have a 25-man squad for a reason. It'd be bizarre if that's allowed. And unfair?

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Forest's main CBs are out long-term. McKenna for up to 8 weeks, and Boly out for the season.

But now Forest have 'applied to the Premier League' to ask for Steve Cook to be added back into the 25-man squad because of the 'injury crisis'?

How is that even allowed as an option? You have a 25-man squad for a reason. It'd be bizarre if that's allowed. And unfair?

If they allow it, it sets a dangerous precident for teams able to manipulate the rules in the future.

Fuck Forest. They chose the 25 man squad they have. Chris Wood is big enough, he can go play centre back the brick shithouse.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Lucas said:

If they allow it, it sets a dangerous precident for teams able to manipulate the rules in the future.

Fuck Forest. They chose the 25 man squad they have. Chris Wood is big enough, he can go play centre back the brick shithouse.

Also where are the youngsters to fill in?

It's their own fault they've mismanaged their squad and made all the ridiculous amount signings. They can't just add in more players!

4 hours ago, Stan said:

Also where are the youngsters to fill in?

It's their own fault they've mismanaged their squad and made all the ridiculous amount signings. They can't just add in more players!

Yeah this is stupid and I hope the league tells them to fuck off. It's their fault for signing too many players to register Cook, other clubs have had to go on with their injury issues without asking the league to bend the rules for them. It's a joke they even asked honestly, they deserve a simple "fuck off" here.

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

Nottingham Forest sack sporting director Filippo Giraldi after six months

Nottingham Forest have sacked sporting director Filippo Giraldi after only six months.

The Italian joined in October after Forest made a British record 22 signings in the summer, overseeing their January transfer window spending.

Forest, who have won only once since January, said Giraldi has left "amicably".

Last week owner Evangelos Marinakis said results "must improve immediately" under manager Steve Cooper.

Forest dropped into the Premier League relegation zone on Saturday as a 2-0 defeat at Aston Villa extended their winless run to nine games.

In January they signed Brazilian midfielder Danilo from Palmeiras for about £16m, midfielder Jonjo Shelvey and defender Felipe for undisclosed fees, midfielder Gustavo Scarpa on a free transfer, plus striker Chris Wood and goalkeeper Keylor Navas on loan.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65249557

Archived