GROUP 4
Wednesday 1st June, 2022
Poland vs Wales, 17.00

Friday 3rd June, 2022
Belgium vs Netherlands

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a bit surprised that Wales didn't put out their best 11 for this game. A lot of teams play their best players in the Nations League, except some times the bigger nations. But I guess Wales were obviously resting key players for the Ukraine game. Wales still played decent enough and what a goal it was from Jonny Williams, he struck the ball superbly to score Wales's goal. Lewandowski and Kaminski were excellent for Poland though. 

Wales will look to get some points in their next Nations league games, but their main focus now will of course be the play-off World Cup qualifier final against Ukraine. Where unlike in this game against Poland, Wales are bound to start their best 11. 

Rob Page: "If you're going to lose, lose in that manner" | UEFA Nations League - YouTube

• Administrator
43 minutes ago, Michael said:

I am a bit surprised that Wales didn't put out their best 11 for this game.

Answered your own question here:

43 minutes ago, Michael said:

But I guess Wales were obviously resting key players for the Ukraine game.

2 hours ago, Stan said:

Answered your own question here:

Yes, because I would have still thought that they would have played most of their best players against Poland, even though they have the Ukraine game coming up. But obviously the manager thought it best to rest his key players against Poland. I would have played most of the best Welsh players against Poland personally, to give them good match practice for the Ukraine game. But it's clear that the Welsh manager Page, doesn't see it that way.

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, Michael said:

Yes, because I would have still thought that they would have played most of their best players against Poland, even though they have the Ukraine game coming up. But obviously the manager thought it best to rest his key players against Poland. I would have played most of the best Welsh players against Poland personally, to give them good match practice for the Ukraine game. But it's clear that the Welsh manager Page, doesn't see it that way.

Well obviously. He doesn't want his best players injured so that they're in best condition for a huge game on Sunday. I don't see where the confusion or misunderstanding is. 

3 hours ago, Michael said:

I am a bit surprised that Wales didn't put out their best 11 for this game. A lot of teams play their best players in the Nations League, except some times the bigger nations. But I guess Wales were obviously resting key players for the Ukraine game. Wales still played decent enough and what a goal it was from Jonny Williams, he struck the ball superbly to score Wales's goal. Lewandowski and Kaminski were excellent for Poland though. 

Wales will look to get some points in their next Nations league games, but their main focus now will of course be the play-off World Cup qualifier final against Ukraine. Where unlike in this game against Poland, Wales are bound to start their best 11. 

Rob Page: "If you're going to lose, lose in that manner" | UEFA Nations League - YouTube

More or less as @Stan mentioned. For the World Cup, this is our biggest game in 64 years and the last thing we needed was to have any first team players injured in a less important game.

10 minutes ago, Stan said:

Well obviously. He doesn't want his best players injured so that they're in best condition for a huge game on Sunday. I don't see where the confusion or misunderstanding is. 

No confusion, just some managers like their players to be rested, while others like to have them play together to give them momentum going into the upcoming games. Clearly Page is of the former opinion. 

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Michael said:

No confusion, just some managers like their players to be rested, while others like to have them play together to give them momentum going into the upcoming games. Clearly Page is of the former opinion. 

Yeah I think i just can't see how it's even questioned mate. The bigger priority is Sunday. 

49 minutes ago, Stan said:

Yeah I think i just can't see how it's even questioned mate. The bigger priority is Sunday. 

Yes, Sunday is definitely the bigger match, but the game against Poland was still a competitive one, it's not as if it was a friendly. Some managers would have played better teams for both games, not just the much more important one. However, Page decided to rest his entire first team against Poland, apart from Daniel James and perhaps Moore. In any case, unfortunately for Page, Wales are probably also going to lose to the Ukrainians, even if they have home advantage. 😜

33 minutes ago, Danny said:

Can’t work out why Mount is playing on the wing, just a bit ineffective. Any of Grealish, Saka or Sterling would be better.

I think the nations league is a bit like the league cup. Great if you win it but it's also a way of testing players and seeing how they handle playing for england 

• Subscriber

Justin would've gone to the Euros if not for his injury. To be honest though post injury he's not quite looked on it and I'm surprised he got called up for this set of games. Looked today how he looked for most games since he's come back.

I think he's good enough but not quite there yet, albeit due to a major setback.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived