talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Richarlison - joins Tottenham

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I really don't rate this transfer, but it's one i'm not willing to put my stamp on. I just don't rate him anywhere nearly as highly as others here. I don't think he's an upgrade on Berjwijijwinwin at all. 

Others do seem to rate him very highly even though he hasn't kicked a ball in a Lilywhite shirt AND cannot until the second match of the season..........not an auspicious start is it? I hope and I'm willing for my doubts to be dispelled by the only person who can dispel them...........Richarlison himself.

I do find it a slightly odd choice by Spurs. I'm not sure he feels like a significant upgrade on other options to partner Son & Kane. And perhaps I'd have expected other areas of the side were in greater need of that transfer cash. Dier was CB last I remember.

But certainly seems bad news for Everton. They are looking more & more like relegation era Villa to me. And that's really not a great place to be. It hurts if it happens & for all Championship sides it's as close as they get to Real or Barca in the Champions League. And they play it like it is.

• Subscriber

People forget that last season we employed a manager who essentially sacked our director of football, entire scouting and medical teams, fell out with our left back and one of our best players, and more or less alienated the majority of the playing squad including his own signings who should have been allies. Yet we didn't get relegated.

People love a narrative and Everton have trended in the wrong direction under Moshiri's stewardship but not as far as regular relegation battlers. More or less the same squad finished in the top half on 59 points the previous year. Last season was one step short of when a 12 year old takes over a team they don't like on Football Manager and tries to ruin them as much as possible before getting sacked and it was uncomfortable but we survived it. People have differing opinions on Lampard and he has plenty to prove but he doesn't exactly have to clear a very high bar to put us on a better path this season than the previous manager left us on last season, even without Richarlison.

I'm more of a pessimist than an optimist and I think a large number of people at Everton are going to have to get a large number of things wrong over the coming months for us to be down there scrapping again this season. That relegation battle was caused by specific reasons and isn't something that's been creeping up on us for years. If Moshiri and Kenwright cling onto the train set for another 3-5 years though then that could become a very different story.

8 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

People forget that last season we employed a manager who essentially sacked our director of football, entire scouting and medical teams, fell out with our left back and one of our best players, and more or less alienated the majority of the playing squad including his own signings who should have been allies. Yet we didn't get relegated.

People love a narrative and Everton have trended in the wrong direction under Moshiri's stewardship but not as far as regular relegation battlers. More or less the same squad finished in the top half on 59 points the previous year. Last season was one step short of when a 12 year old takes over a team they don't like on Football Manager and tries to ruin them as much as possible before getting sacked and it was uncomfortable but we survived it. People have differing opinions on Lampard and he has plenty to prove but he doesn't exactly have to clear a very high bar to put us on a better path this season than the previous manager left us on last season, even without Richarlison.

I'm more of a pessimist than an optimist and I think a large number of people at Everton are going to have to get a large number of things wrong over the coming months for us to be down there scrapping again this season. That relegation battle was caused by specific reasons and isn't something that's been creeping up on us for years. If Moshiri and Kenwright cling onto the train set for another 3-5 years though then that could become a very different story.

Are there any rumours over who you're intending to replace Richarlison with?

• Subscriber
59 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Are there any rumours over who you're intending to replace Richarlison with?

Loads xD. Emanuel Dennis and Armando Broja seem to be the most credible links in terms of attackers we're linked with. Cicero mentioned Hudson-Odoi. Seen him mentioned but not that much and not necessarily by the most reliable people. I've not been memorising or obsessing over all of the links this summer because there's just too many to keep track of.

• Subscriber
download.png
                                                        3 hours ago, Chickasaw said:
                                                        What's your point?

The word arses are like lady's feet to him xD

So, Lenglet is ours and Spence seems to be soon. That's 6 new signings but somehow I feel somewhere we are short of a marquee signing. Not sure where though. Still doesn't seem to be a PL winning outfit.

3 minutes ago, Chickasaw said:

Still doesn't seem to be a PL winning outfit.

Think that's a bit ambitious. Conte is good but I doubt he can better Pep and Klopp given how far along they are now at their clubs. 

Top 4 and a cup should be Spurs' goal this season. 

28 minutes ago, Chickasaw said:

So, Lenglet is ours and Spence seems to be soon. That's 6 new signings but somehow I feel somewhere we are short of a marquee signing. Not sure where though. Still doesn't seem to be a PL winning outfit.

It would be very bold to think you were ready to challenge for the Premier League when you have only broken 80pts once in it's entirety.

These days you need 90+ points to win it, so I think this season you need to look at breaking that 80pt barrier again and take that as a positive stride. That would also guarantee Champions League football again.

That and winning any cup should be seen as an extremely succesful season IMO and positive progress.

The marquee signings will come when you build up more of a solid reputation and credit in Europe.

10 minutes ago, Lucas said:

It would be very bold to think you were ready to challenge for the Premier League when you have only broken 80pts once in it's entirety.

These days you need 90+ points to win it, so I think this season you need to look at breaking that 80pt barrier again and take that as a positive stride. That would also guarantee Champions League football again.

That and winning any cup should be seen as an extremely succesful season IMO and positive progress.

The marquee signings will come when you build up more of a solid reputation and credit in Europe.

Makes sense.

32 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Think that's a bit ambitious. Conte is good but I doubt he can better Pep and Klopp given how far along they are now at their clubs. 

Top 4 and a cup should be Spurs' goal this season. 

Granted.

It's Conte so he's not going to finish with Spurs until he either has won the league or sees no chance in doing it but I think he accepts that this season, being competitive over a long frame of time this season with City and Liverpool is acceptable and that the season or two after that will be the "one". I believe we are the only team that went undefeated against the top two last season (beat City twice, drew with Liverpool twice) and that our Achilles Heel came against teams we were expected to beat, who did the low block, got people behind the ball against us. We had no idea how to break them down, we could only play when the game was expansive. If Conte can solve that problem, we'll do much better.We're fortunate United completely capitulated and Arsenal got themselves in a surprising position and then capitulated but hey, we'll take it.

Richarlison is a great signing. The days of having your first eleven and everyone else has to wait for an injury is over and I don't think people realize just how big an impact the World Cup will have on this season, particularly on teams in four competitions who want to be competing at the business end of all of them. Most of our fans were moaning last season that we never had any depth and that we could only bring in youth players or outcasts and our big players never got any rest, even if we sign nobody else up top, I think we can manage with:

Kane

Son

Kulusevski

Richarlison

Perisic

Moura

I think we'll be fine on that front.

3 hours ago, Tar-Mairon said:

It's Conte so he's not going to finish with Spurs until he either has won the league or sees no chance in doing it but I think he accepts that this season, being competitive over a long frame of time this season with City and Liverpool is acceptable and that the season or two after that will be the "one". I believe we are the only team that went undefeated against the top two last season (beat City twice, drew with Liverpool twice) and that our Achilles Heel came against teams we were expected to beat, who did the low block, got people behind the ball against us. We had no idea how to break them down, we could only play when the game was expansive. If Conte can solve that problem, we'll do much better.We're fortunate United completely capitulated and Arsenal got themselves in a surprising position and then capitulated but hey, we'll take it.

Richarlison is a great signing. The days of having your first eleven and everyone else has to wait for an injury is over and I don't think people realize just how big an impact the World Cup will have on this season, particularly on teams in four competitions who want to be competing at the business end of all of them. Most of our fans were moaning last season that we never had any depth and that we could only bring in youth players or outcasts and our big players never got any rest, even if we sign nobody else up top, I think we can manage with:

Kane

Son

Kulusevski

Richarlison

Perisic

Moura

I think we'll be fine on that front.

A lot of good points there. Referring first to a couple of previous posters, to me we should be aiming for top two and not top four. I remember the double when we were the top team with the top name of the day........Bill Nicholson. What followed were lesser names so lesser achievements followed. Some cups under Burkinshaw but no league title and fairly low finishes in the league.

A list of mediocre names followed until a top name came again....George Graham and bingo, a cup and a good place in the league. Hoddle, Ardiles, Francis, Gross just weren't top names in management and mediocre seasons were accomplished.

Poch? Did well but still not a name on the same tier as Klopp, Mourinho, Pep and Conte or even Ancelotti. Mourinho came and a final followed. Poch gained us a final but a stupid decision to play an injured not fully fit Kane cost us it. Mourinho was banging them in and should have played. However, that subject is digression.

I have always said that as Spurs were once the top team then a top name is required to take us to the top again. Look at Liverpool and City. Once top teams and now top teams again because they have top names at the helm. We were the top team before either of them and Conte's presence alone will solve many of the weaknesses Spurs have.

Old results are coming back. As you mentioned Tar-Marion, unbeaten against Liverpool and City last season, Arsenal thrashed, Newcastle thrashed as was often the case under Bill Nicholson. History and traditions repeating themselves. 

We WILL finish higher than fourth. Even if Kane is injured we will still bang them in as we did against Ajax in the CL semis. I have noticed we score better sometimes when he is injured because sometimes his absence seems to free up the others somehow.

I'm saying we'll finish top two. Thank you.

Moura banged in three against Ajax and he was axed for the final. Bergwijn was responsible for the win at Leicester and now he's on his way. Shame Tottenham isn't a team which is more loyal to the players who achieve results for it. That tradition goes back a long way too.

4 minutes ago, Waylander said:

Impressed with Spurs getting business done early think they could be early front runners for the league.

I posted something similar. I wilted under voices of reason though, not sure I should have.

Archived