talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Richarlison - joins Tottenham

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone really actually care about pre-season performances or results?

It's literally just training matches to build fitness for the actual season. I'm not surprised if any players miss sitters, they're rusty from not actually playing. Some of them, like Richarlison, are new to their sides.

Feels fucking weird how many times I've had to defend Richarlison in this fucking thread. The guy is scum, but getting upset about whatever happens in these training matches when you've got unfit players is... it's just fucking weird xD

Nobody should be drawing "hot takes" from fucking training matches.

13 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Does anyone really actually care about pre-season performances or results?

It's literally just training matches to build fitness for the actual season. I'm not surprised if any players miss sitters, they're rusty from not actually playing. Some of them, like Richarlison, are new to their sides.

Feels fucking weird how many times I've had to defend Richarlison in this fucking thread. The guy is scum, but getting upset about whatever happens in these training matches when you've got unfit players is... it's just fucking weird xD

Nobody should be drawing "hot takes" from fucking training matches.

Who's upset? I'm not.

• Subscriber

Sometimes fans take such a strong stance against a decision or signing their club has made that they'd actually rather see themselves proved right at their team's expense than have to admit they might have been wrong to faceless strangers on the Internet. Always an interesting watch...

2 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Sometimes fans take such a strong stance against a decision or signing their club has made that they'd actually rather see themselves proved right at their team's expense than have to admit they might have been wrong to faceless strangers on the Internet. Always an interesting watch...

Imagine if I stayed upset we signed Sadio Mane instead of Marco Reus, who I originally wanted but who turned us down, and then we signed "some guy from Southampton." Turned out to be a marvelous signing and I was very very happy to be proven wrong because me being wrong gave me one of the best players I've seen at my club in my life.

7 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I hope I am proved wrong for the sake of the club I follow. But, some posters on here are over reacting. Football supporters just can't take their favourites being criticised can they? I felt the same as I do now when Vinnie Janssen was signed, I was cautious about him because guess why? H

e missed a sitter.  I can remember players banging them in during pre season but when the season started proper they failed badly.

Really don't know why the anger.

19 minutes ago, Storts said:

Quoting a click bait article about a training session is just dumb. 

Yeah but he’s not exactly gunna build up his confidence doing that around Kane and Son and then before you know it the season has started and you’re relying on an underperformer

8 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Imagine if I stayed upset we signed Sadio Mane instead of Marco Reus, who I originally wanted but who turned us down, and then we signed "some guy from Southampton." Turned out to be a marvelous signing and I was very very happy to be proven wrong because me being wrong gave me one of the best players I've seen at my club in my life.

Ok, but what does that have to do with the signing of Richarlison? Mane and Richarlison have what to do with each other exactly? I don't even see the principle as the same. Were you cautious about the signing of Mane? I'm happy with the other signings Spurs have made and all I said was that I'm uncertain about Richarlison and Storts has wet his pants and has now started abuse.

2 minutes ago, Chickasaw said:

Ok, but what does that have to do with the signing of Richarlison? Mane and Richarlison have what to do with each other exactly? I don't even see the principle as the same. Were you cautious about the signing of Mane? I'm happy with the other signings Spurs have made and all I said was that I'm uncertain about Richarlison and Storts has wet his pants and has now started abuse.

Yeah, I was cautious about the signing of Mane - that's obviously what I was getting at.

You didn't want him, but now he's at the club. Oh no, he missed a sitter in a match that ultimately means fuck all... who cares though, it's literally when most clubs are starting their pre-season. 

Don't get me wrong, I would love it if more Spurs fans don't take to Richarlison and get on his back about something like missing a sitter in a training match where all Conte actually cares about is that his players get match fitness. I'd love him to fail because I hate the guy and if people get on his back early on about meaningless shite... it'll just put pressure on him and maybe he'll break under it.

But realistically, we're talking about a player who looked very good at another club in the league. Give the lad the whole season before you make your mind up on him, not after one miss in a friendly xD

10 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah, I was cautious about the signing of Mane - that's obviously what I was getting at.

You didn't want him, but now he's at the club. Oh no, he missed a sitter in a match that ultimately means fuck all... who cares though, it's literally when most clubs are starting their pre-season. 

Don't get me wrong, I would love it if more Spurs fans don't take to Richarlison and get on his back about something like missing a sitter in a training match where all Conte actually cares about is that his players get match fitness. I'd love him to fail because I hate the guy and if people get on his back early on about meaningless shite... it'll just put pressure on him and maybe he'll break under it.

All I am saying is that I'm uncertain about Richarlison and missing a sitter in a pre season friendly makes me even more so. I'm sorry for any upset I've caused, it wasn't meant.

But realistically, we're talking about a player who looked very good at another club in the league. Give the lad the whole season before you make your mind up on him, not after one miss in a friendly xD

You didn't actually say you were cautious Dr Gonzo, you said you were upset that he was signed instead or Reus whom you wanted. I'll repeat, I was cautious about Janssen before he was signed and look what happened.. Alan Brazil played well for his previous team but was crap for Spurs so it doesn't follow that a player's good form for his previous club will follow him to his new club. Darren Bent was another example.

19 minutes ago, Chickasaw said:

You didn't actually say you were cautious Dr Gonzo, you said you were upset that he was signed instead or Reus whom you wanted. I'll repeat, I was cautious about Janssen before he was signed and look what happened.. Alan Brazil played well for his previous team but was crap for Spurs so it doesn't follow that a player's good form for his previous club will follow him to his new club. Darren Bent was another example.

I'm just saying, I think fans should be patient with new signings because maybe we're right about a player or maybe we're wrong. He deserves a chance before people give him stick for not performing well in pre-season.

I honestly thing pre-season means nothing other than getting players fitness, I remember when some of the most shit players Ged Houllier ever signed looked world class in pre-season and some of our better players looked bang average. When the actual real football that means something came around... things looked more normal with the players that were average or below average looking - average or below average & the players we could actually rely on were the ones we could rely on.

Give him 10 matches to change your mind, then really form your first opinion... but be open to the fact some players settle slowly and he might need more time. He's a decent player, one of the only good players I think Everton had... and he's performed well for Brazil in recent call-ups. I think on paper, you can expect him to do well with better players around him and having a world class manager.

8 hours ago, Danny said:

Yeah but he’s not exactly gunna build up his confidence doing that around Kane and Son and then before you know it the season has started and you’re relying on an underperformer

Pretty certain both Kane and Son will have done exactly the same thing thousands of times in training like every single other professional football player tbh. It’s why it’s called training.

1 hour ago, DeadLinesman said:

I think the amount of posts you make about Richarlison before he’s actually kicked a ball for your club states otherwise.

No, not upset just cautious as I've said. I saw Chris Sutton miss a sitter and thought it wasn't going to work at Chelsea and it didn't. I'll repeat, I'm happy with the other signings and think Spence would be a good fit.

1 hour ago, DeadLinesman said:

Pretty certain both Kane and Son will have done exactly the same thing thousands of times in training like every single other professional football player tbh. It’s why it’s called training.

Not training, it was in the first South Korean friendly.

Archived