talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Bordalas out at Valencia, Gattuso in

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gattuso maybe seen as a figure of fun, due to his rather large personality, but his short spells at Milan and Napoli were fairly successful and proved he could manage at a reasonably high level. I won't say he should be the first name on their shortlist, but I don't see it as a ridiculous appointment.

It's a pretty big gamble for Gattuso though. After walking out on Fiorentina, whatever reasons that may ever come out, he needs some stability to his managerial career. Moving to a club that has been far from stable for the last 10-15 years, and to a country where he's never played or coached before (and not sure how fluently he speaks the language) it could be a while before he is considered for another job at this level of it doesn't work out.

And with Peter Lim, it's more than likely that he'd be lucky to last a season. Most of his managers are lucky to get that.

Always thought we'd see him back in British football at some stage, after he speaks with such joy about his time in Scotland. And figured he'd enjoy some of the more agricultural way of playing football that some clubs and their fans would be accepting of.

17 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

Moving to a club that has been far from stable for the last 10-15 years,

This is my major issue with the appointment.  At Milan and Napoli he was at two clubs with loads of talent and (barring that short period of Chinese ownership at Milan) financial stability.  There's talk of a fire-sale at Valencia to balance the books, something that occurs nearly every season now.  It's a typical Peter Lim knee-jerk decision that is destined to fail imo.  I'll give him a chance but I doubt he'll see out the first season.

11 minutes ago, Dan said:

I quite rate Bordalas. Valencia does feel like a poisoned chalice though.

I watched the majority of their matches this past season and it was a slog.  I feel like they underachieved finishing 10th and I can't help but think that utilizing their playmakers (Guedes, Soler, Gil) and keeping it on the deck would've made a difference.  Defensively they weren't so bad but late in the season they just couldn't put the ball in the net.  15 or so draws and lots of 1-1's and 0-0's in there.  Awful stuff.

• Subscriber
28 minutes ago, Coma said:

I watched the majority of their matches this past season and it was a slog.  I feel like they underachieved finishing 10th and I can't help but think that utilizing their playmakers (Guedes, Soler, Gil) and keeping it on the deck would've made a difference.  Defensively they weren't so bad but late in the season they just couldn't put the ball in the net.  15 or so draws and lots of 1-1's and 0-0's in there.  Awful stuff.

It looks a bit to me like what you fear would happen if say a Sean Dyche went to Arsenal, for a quite extreme comparison. I just liked what he did at Getafe really. Genuine story of overachievement and they did it in quite a unique way stylistically too. Shame this hasn't worked out but could see him going back to a smaller club and doing well - maybe even Getafe themselves.

1 hour ago, Dan said:

It looks a bit to me like what you fear would happen if say a Sean Dyche went to Arsenal, for a quite extreme comparison. I just liked what he did at Getafe really. Genuine story of overachievement and they did it in quite a unique way stylistically too. Shame this hasn't worked out but could see him going back to a smaller club and doing well - maybe even Getafe themselves.

No doubt that he worked wonders at Getafe.  I just think Valencia fans expected better football.  I agree with your Arsenal analogy.

Archived