The better place to talk football.

Schalke sack head coach Frank Kramer - Thomas Reis takes over

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...
  • The title was changed to Schalke sack head coach Frank Kramer
3 hours ago, Coma said:

Haha.  Didn't understand this signing from the beginning.  I'd like to see them go after Matarazzo.

Wouldn't be surprised, if they decided to go with either Mike Büskens or Huub Stevens again. The times they were funded by Gazprom are gone, and thus any economic attractivity they had.

1 hour ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Wouldn't be surprised, if they decided to go with either Mike Büskens or Huub Stevens again. The times they were funded by Gazprom are gone, and thus any economic attractivity they had.

Those are 2. Buli appointments.  I know they aren't a financial powerhouse right now but they're still the 2nd/3rd biggest club in the country.

1 hour ago, Coma said:

Those are 2. Buli appointments.  I know they aren't a financial powerhouse right now but they're still the 2nd/3rd biggest club in the country.

Calling Huub Stevens a 2.Liga appointement is rather harsh considering his former successes, agree on your assessment of Büskens, though. Being one of the big three and all this former titles and cups don't prevent Schalke from being an quite uninteresting adress for widely respected managers, because of their restless and demanding surrounding, their history of looking at  giving a manager the sack as an appropriate spare time occupation, their quite precarious financial situation, and their sub-average squad. This combination is toxic for every manager, and most of them were wise holding out for better opportunities, in my honest opinion.

55 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Calling Huub Stevens a 2.Liga appointement is rather harsh considering his former successes, agree on your assessment of Büskens, though. Being one of the big three and all this former titles and cups don't prevent Schalke from being an quite uninteresting adress for widely respected managers, because of their restless and demanding surrounding, their history of looking at  giving a manager the sack as an appropriate spare time occupation, their quite precarious financial situation, and their sub-average squad. This combination is toxic for every manager, and most of them were wise holding out for better opportunities, in my honest opinion.

All of your points make sense.  But can we agree that recycling Huub Stevens is not the answer?  The proverbial "game has passed him by" quote might be appropriate here.  We're talking about a complete squad/system rebuild here and putting another interim old head in charge is just delaying the inevitable.  They need a forward-thinking coach that is willing to take them down this season and start over again.  Enter Pellegrino Matarazzo.  

9 minutes ago, Coma said:

All of your points make sense.  But can we agree that recycling Huub Stevens is not the answer?  The proverbial "game has passed him by" quote might be appropriate here.  We're talking about a complete squad/system rebuild here and putting another interim old head in charge is just delaying the inevitable.  They need a forward-thinking coach that is willing to take them down this season and start over again.  Enter Pellegrino Matarazzo.  

Didn't mean to say I'd be thinking Stevens's or Büskens's appointement were the answer to Schalke's issues. Stevens 's time is over and he should enjoy his well-deserved retirement. Just mentioned these two managers as fathomable, as Stevens was elected Schalke's "manager of the century" and Büskens is one of the Eurofighters. Knowing Schalke it wouldn't be surprising if their emotional bounds towards them two were more decessive in their decision-making process than what they actually need. Therefore cam imagine Schalke ending up appointing one of them, that's all I was saying. Don't think Materazzo would take this job that early after being sacked himself. Another manager that comes to my mind is Bruno Labbadia as he's one of the very few, who's respected enough not to destroy his reputation if he would become Schalke's second sacked manager this season. That's the most likely end of any manager's stint at this point, the way I see it.

Nice to read all the concerns listed above.  Problem is we have not appointed a coach with any proven record for a long time.  We keep appointing 'has beens' and failures at other clubs who have been sacked for poor performances.  Anyone coming in will realise that a good BL2 team is useless in the top level and most of the present squad are not able to perform at this stage of the season.  Where are all our kids?  They are all over Europe and until this stops 04 will not climb the table.  We will lose more games this season, but if it is while we are trying to give the young guys experience I will accept that - I find it hard to watch Bullter, Drexler et al trying to keep up tith the BVB, Bayerns and Hoffs of this world.  Patience with the new man, but Mike B has always said 'no not again' after they have kept passing him over  and over and Huub is now getting too old to worry about being sacked again!  We will cry again this weekend, but perhaps not so many tears as on Tuesday!  I only hope that any light at the end of the tunnel is not a train coming the other way.  Neanwhile Joel is happy with Kloppy,  Leroy is superbe with Leon and the Alliance and even Max is enjoying life in Switzerland.  Sag mir wo die Blumen sind?

48 minutes ago, Coma said:

He did well as the Swiss NT coach though, if I recall.  Don't really know much about him.

Yea, he lead Switzerland into the quarter finals of the last Euros. I remember them beating France. 

55 minutes ago, nudge said:

Thomas Reis is the top candidate, apparently.

That would be a good fit. I was surprised to learn that he's from Baden-Württemberg. He looks and acts like a stereotypical Ruhrpott-Prolet. 

• The title was changed to Schalke sack head coach Frank Kramer - Thomas Reis takes over

A new cocach, 25 minutes of the same rubbish with the same old men on the field and another nobody in charge!  So what's new?  I despair at times when I think of the ineptness at top level in Gelsenkirchen.  At best there will be a few seats available for games next season as this lot have not the faintest idea of how to get out of the hole they are in - seems they intend to try and dig it deeper already.  After 70plus years this has to be about the worst ever period in my 04 life - and after living with Magrat and Tedesco that is really saying something!!!

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, SchalkeUK said:

A new cocach, 25 minutes of the same rubbish with the same old men on the field and another nobody in charge!  So what's new?  I despair at times when I think of the ineptness at top level in Gelsenkirchen.  At best there will be a few seats available for games next season as this lot have not the faintest idea of how to get out of the hole they are in - seems they intend to try and dig it deeper already.  After 70plus years this has to be about the worst ever period in my 04 life - and after living with Magrat and Tedesco that is really saying something!!!

Given your current situation, whom would you realistically like to take over to sort it all out? 

I do not think it can be sorted out at the moment.  There is no money to offer a decent Manager/coach the position and certainly nothing in the bank for new players.  Another season in BL2 and the hope that someone will be prepared to get rid of the present squad members who are incapable of anything better will give time to rebuild with younger players - there are some good ones coming up but they need the confidence of the management to be able to perform without too much pressure too early.  Young Sane is as good as any of those on the field at the moment and although he is one of the older members, Ralph is in a different league to the present disaster between the posts.  The defence is a shambles, but if we can stop leaking goals the young ones up front will be able to try withour having to kick off every 5 minutes.  Yesterday's result against Kloppy in the Uk was doen to Jesse M using the kids - and Pep is doing the same.  Why can't we?  Kids trytng hard and losing does not hurt half as much as old men unable to even pass the ball to each other (aka Bullter and Drexler).  With Bochum almost as bad then Werder should be safe this time - don't waste the chance to stay up!😟

Archived