Bosnia 1-0 Romania

GROUP 4
Sunday 5th June, 2022
Serbia 4-1 Slovenia
Sweden 1-2 Norway

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First of the Nation's League 'triple header' for Scotland tonight. Really need nine points from these games to even think about promotion.

Does have a feel of a letdown after the build up to last Wednesday match, and the ultimately deflating ending. Enough changes to keep it fresh, but ultimately highlights the lack of depth of talent in attacking positions.

Well Ukraine are literally playing their reserves for this game against Ireland. The Republic of Ireland are playing their strongest possible first 11, while Ukraine are only starting with one of their regular starters in Mykolenko. Ukrainian manager Petrakov clearly deciding to rest his first team after their two highly intense matches against Scotland and Wales in a short space of time. It will still be interesting to see how this Ukrainian reserve side fare against Ireland's first team in Dublin. I am particularly interested to see how Mudryk and Lunin perform, given that they are the two youngsters who are the most highly rated for Ukraine.

6 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

First of the Nation's League 'triple header' for Scotland tonight. Really need nine points from these games to even think about promotion.

Does have a feel of a letdown after the build up to last Wednesday match, and the ultimately deflating ending. Enough changes to keep it fresh, but ultimately highlights the lack of depth of talent in attacking positions.

I think that Scotland have had enough games rest since their home defeat to Ukraine 8 days ago. The starting 11 looks good, but I would have still started with McTominay and Gilmour. For me, they are two of Scotland's best players. At least they are on the bench and I am sure they will come on at some point in this match. Either way, I have a good feeling about Scotland in this game, I think they will get the 3 points, even though Armenia are a difficult side to play against. Adamyan in particular could cause the Scottish defence a few headaches. I still think Scotland will win, maybe 2-1 or 3-1.

• Administrator
23 minutes ago, Michael said:

Well Ukraine are literally playing their reserves for this game against Ireland. The Republic of Ireland are playing their strongest possible first 11, while Ukraine are only starting with one of their regular starters in Mykolenko. Ukrainian manager Petrakov clearly deciding to rest his first team after their two highly intense matches against Scotland and Wales in a short space of time. It will still be interesting to see how this Ukrainian reserve side fare against Ireland's first team in Dublin. I am particularly interested to see how Mudryk and Lunin perform, given that they are the two youngsters who are the most highly rated for Ukraine.

Shouldn't he play the first team and regulars to keep them match fit?

11 minutes ago, Michael said:

I think that Scotland have had enough games rest since their home defeat to Ukraine 8 days ago. The starting 11 looks good, but I would have still started with McTominay and Gilmour. For me, they are two of Scotland's best players. At least they are on the bench and I am sure they will come on at some point in this match. Either way, I have a good feeling about Scotland in this game, I think they will get the 3 points, even though Armenia are a difficult side to play against. Adamyan in particular could cause the Scottish defence a few headaches. I still think Scotland will win, maybe 2-1 or 3-1.

Gilmour picked up an ankle injury at the end of the season, and didn't seem his normal self in the Ukraine game. Probably just not being risked rather than being dropped. It was probably his only subpar game for Scotland, has been superb in almost every game.

McTominay being out is a surprise, as without Gilmour and Jack (out the squad entirely with injury), there isn't any other sitting midfielders. If McGinn is player with McGregor in the centre, his attacking play always suffers and Scotland desperately need midfielders to break forward with the ball.

I still fully expect a win from this team.

15 minutes ago, Stan said:

Shouldn't he play the first team and regulars to keep them match fit?

Well they played 2 huge play-off games in the space of 4 days and straight after the Wales match, the manager Petrakov said he would rest the entire team for today's game against Wales. Not sure exactly why he has decided to rest them. Maybe because those two matches were draining both physically and emotionally for the players and perhaps he didn't think that they were fully ready for another match so soon after those 2 games. Or maybe the main reason is that he wants to try out some of the reserve players. Either way, it's a surprise to me that he has decided to drop the whole team except for 1 player.

17 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Gilmour picked up an ankle injury at the end of the season, and didn't seem his normal self in the Ukraine game. Probably just not being risked rather than being dropped. It was probably his only subpar game for Scotland, has been superb in almost every game.

McTominay being out is a surprise, as without Gilmour and Jack (out the squad entirely with injury), there isn't any other sitting midfielders. If McGinn is player with McGregor in the centre, his attacking play always suffers and Scotland desperately need midfielders to break forward with the ball.

I still fully expect a win from this team.

Well McTominay and Gilmour are both on the bench, which suggests they are both fit. McGinn always plays his heart out in midfield and McGregor was one of Scotland's best players against Ukraine, so I think it's positive that they both start. Hopefully McGinn is able to get forward and that his attacking play isn't hindered because he's playing in a less advanced position. Scotland should still win this one.

Mudryk has already made a couple of mazy runs and shots, but his strikes have gone way wide of the target. But you can see the talent there in him. Lunin had looked really assured in goal, dealing with crosses well.

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, Michael said:

Well they played 2 huge play-off games in the space of 4 days and straight after the Wales match, the manager Petrakov said he would rest the entire team for today's game against Wales. Not sure exactly why he has decided to rest them. Maybe because those two matches were draining both physically and emotionally for the players and perhaps he didn't think that they were fully ready for another match so soon after those 2 games. Or maybe the main reason is that he wants to try out some of the reserve players. Either way, it's a surprise to me that he has decided to drop the whole team except for 1 player.

I'm taking the piss mate after our conversation about Wales' squad selection xD 

Ukraine take the lead through a superb long range volley by Kacharaba from over 25 yards out! Superb goal by Kacharaba! But the referee disallows the goal after looking at VAR, for a fractional offside. Ukraine are so unlucky there, that was such a close call.

Well after a bright start from Ireland, Ukraine went on to dominate most of the 1st half, definitely the latter part. Ukraine outplayed Ireland for majority of the 1st half. Kacharaba was so unlucky that his beautiful volleyed effort that found the back of the net was not allowed because of a marginal offside in the build up. If this performance from Ukraine continues in the 2nd half, I can see them winning.

Armenia are awful. Not entirely sure how they beat Ireland.

Would like to see a few squad players get a chance in the second half. Mainly Ross Stewart, just to keep Che Adams fresher for the upcoming games.

Ukraine take an early lead in the 2nd half through Tsyhankov! He struck an in swinging free-kick goalwards and the ball found the back of the net! That goal was coming!

Ireland 0-1 Ukraine

14 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Armenia are awful. Not entirely sure how they beat Ireland.

Would like to see a few squad players get a chance in the second half. Mainly Ross Stewart, just to keep Che Adams fresher for the upcoming games.

To be fair, Ireland dominated that game, but Armenia really benefitted from home advantage. Armenia are a much more difficult side to play when they perform at home. Scotland have still looked very good today.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived