talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

League A - Group 1-4 Fixtures - 9-11th June, 2022

4 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Pickford has been England's best and most reliable goalkeeper in my lifetime and Ramsdale isn't even that good yet. Pope had a better case at his peak.

I like Ramsdale and I think he'll be the next one eventually. I could understand him getting fast tracked if Pickford became a problem for England but at this point in time the debate is premature.

Nah ramsdale is good. But pickford is very consistent for England so he should keep his place 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

England been very sloppy for last 5-10 mins. Tiredness probably playing a part. Look totally lost for direction going forward though. 

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, Danny said:

Considering the season Ramsdale has just had for Arsenal I think it’s a fair debate to have. Think the issue atm is less Pickford being better than Ramsdale and more Southgate reluctance to move away from players who have been proven to perform for him

Pickford was Everton's player of the season and single handedly won us multiple games. His season just past was nothing to be sniffed at either. Better than Ramsdale actually from what I saw but it doesn't sound like I'll manage to swing you that far in my direction. Add to that he's been one of England's most reliable performers for four years and two major tournaments and I do think it's just really silly that we're even talking about him getting replaced.

Like I say, I like Ramsdale but nobody was talking about him 12 months ago when he was at Sheffield United. One pretty good season for Arsenal though and he's better than the established number one? Not yet. And Pickford's form for England and, yes, for Everton, people need to start accepting that part too eventually, he's been absolutely sound at club level consistently for two years, give England plenty of reason not to rush Ramsdale into the side before he's the finished article.

• Subscriber

Anyway, 0-0. When I was going to have this on in the background I knew it was probably going to be a shite game so thanks to Michael Owen for tipping me over the edge so I didn't waste my time with it xD.

22 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Pickford was Everton's player of the season and single handedly won us multiple games. His season just past was nothing to be sniffed at either. Better than Ramsdale actually from what I saw but it doesn't sound like I'll manage to swing you that far in my direction. Add to that he's been one of England's most reliable performers for four years and two major tournaments and I do think it's just really silly that we're even talking about him getting replaced.

Like I say, I like Ramsdale but nobody was talking about him 12 months ago when he was at Sheffield United. One pretty good season for Arsenal though and he's better than the established number one? Not yet. And Pickford's form for England and, yes, for Everton, people need to start accepting that part too eventually, he's been absolutely sound at club level consistently for two years, give England plenty of reason not to rush Ramsdale into the side before he's the finished article.

I agree with you that Southgate may end up backing Pickford because of previous form for England and that will be difficult for any keeper to get past unless they’re clearly world class.

With that said I do think Pickford is a limited keeper and that Ramsdale is both calmer in possession and has better distribution. Pickford seems to go mental at points and his kicking was comical at times against Germany recently. I think Ramsdale had the best shot stopping stats last season in the Prem which goes some way to giving him an edge over Pickford.

I think the one thing we’ve had with Pickford at least for England is that he doesn’t make silly mistakes and manages to remain fairly solid. But if this England side is to be more fluid and attacking and rely less on a back three then distribution will be key and I don’t think Pickford’s distribution, mentality when playing the ball out and on field IQ is on Ramsdale’s level, but I do think their shot stopping ability is similar.

But as I said above, even if Ramsdale is outperforming Pickford come the winter it still maybe difficult for Southgate to change as he places long term trust in long term performers.

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Danny said:

I agree with you that Southgate may end up backing Pickford because of previous form for England and that will be difficult for any keeper to get past unless they’re clearly world class.

With that said I do think Pickford is a limited keeper and that Ramsdale is both calmer in possession and has better distribution. Pickford seems to go mental at points and his kicking was comical at times against Germany recently. I think Ramsdale had the best shot stopping stats last season in the Prem which goes some way to giving him an edge over Pickford.

I think the one thing we’ve had with Pickford at least for England is that he doesn’t make silly mistakes and manages to remain fairly solid. But if this England side is to be more fluid and attacking and rely less on a back three then distribution will be key and I don’t think Pickford’s distribution, mentality when playing the ball out and on field IQ is on Ramsdale’s level, but I do think their shot stopping ability is similar.

But as I said above, even if Ramsdale is outperforming Pickford come the winter it still maybe difficult for Southgate to change as he places long term trust in long term performers.

Fair enough, I think Pickford is better on the ball than you give him credit for though. He puts more than he should into the stands because sometimes he goes for Hollywood balls that just aren't really on. He has coped fine with keeping possession in the back line though and is capable of picking out really good long balls. It's going back a few years but he does have form for it with England too, see the first two goals in this game against Spain:

It won't have helped him at Everton that we've played pretty grotesque football for a lot of the last three seasons where his outlet is mostly humping it long to Calvert-Lewin instead of playing it out from the back but Lampard has talked about improving the approach after getting this season out of the way so perhaps we'll see some different distribution from Pickford at club level in the near future.

14 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Fair enough, I think Pickford is better on the ball than you give him credit for though. He puts more than he should into the stands because sometimes he goes for Hollywood balls that just aren't really on. He has coped fine with keeping possession in the back line though and is capable of picking out really good long balls. It's going back a few years but he does have form for it with England too, see the first two goals in this game against Spain:

It won't have helped him at Everton that we've played pretty grotesque football for a lot of the last three seasons where his outlet is mostly humping it long to Calvert-Lewin instead of playing it out from the back but Lampard has talked about improving the approach after getting this season out of the way so perhaps we'll see some different distribution from Pickford at club level in the near future.

This is what I mean about calmness on the ball and IQ, Pickford can play with the ball at his feet but he’s not that great at it because it requires more than just being able to pick a pass out.

I hope I'm posting in the right are this time. England were rubbish once again. There wasn't a single play that I could get excited about. I thought Ramsdale did well but then I'm am ex keeper. The rest was shocking.

I don't understand the England team. They all play in high press formations week in a week out yet when they Play as England, they just sit there and go duhhhhh.

I really dont understand the buzz around Calvin Lewis. The last few prem games I saw him play, he just sat there for Leeds. There was no passion to try to win at all??

There are a load of brilliant English players playing but England need a manager to come in and make the best of it without worrying about things. The press puts so much shite onto a England manager even before he's started a match.

England need a maverick manager. One that immediately says fuck off to the press. Someone one who is strong enough and just pig headed enough to do it.  Southgate isn't that man.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived