talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2. Bundesliga 2022/2023

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We took the lead against Bielefeld, twice, and couldn't hold on to it. It's a big shame considering we also hit the woodwork twice in the first half. Ah well, at least all that promotion chance talk is over now. 

3 minutes ago, Tommy said:

We took the lead against Bielefeld, twice, and couldn't hold on to it. It's a big shame considering we also hit the woodwork twice in the first half. Ah well, at least all that promotion chance talk is over now. 

What is the expectation for the club?  Is the goal to be promotion contenders every season?  Just wondering about Thioune's job security.

Just now, Coma said:

What is the expectation for the club?  Is the goal to be promotion contenders every season?  Just wondering about Thioune's job security.

The realistic expectation is probably finishing in the top half of the table. I think our squad is too unbalanced to really fight for the Top 3. We do have a lot of fair weather fans though, who think we should play in the Bundesliga and beat every 2. Bundesliga team 3 or 4:0. So that is their expectation. Thioune's job is more than secure though. He just extended his contract not too long ago, and most people in and around the club think he is the perfect man for our club. Me included.

Our promition chance for next season will be decided by the transfer business we do in the summer. We need to replace Kownacki, and finally get a creative playmaker. I also think we need 1-2 more dangerous wingers, considering we never really replaced Khaled Narey properly. A lot of deadwood at the club too. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just having a look at the run-in and I find it interesting that HSV and Heidenheim have the exact same opponents:

Hamburg: Magdeburg (A), Paderborn, Regensburg (A), Fürth, Sandhausen (A)

Heidenheim: Fürth (A), Magdeburg, Paderborn (A), Sandhausen, Regensburg (A)

Darmstadt: Kiel (A), St. Pauli, Hannover (A), Magdeburg, Fürth (A)

Those first 3 matches for Darmstadt could be tough.  4-point cushion will come in handy.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Tommy said:

Damn, Heidenheim really show no nerves what so ever. Get the job done even though they are in a situation they haven't been in yet. You have to applaud that. 

I really hope they get promoted, Frank Schmidt deserves it after all these years.

On a slightly related note, I just googled him to see how long he's been in the club already, and the first result under the questions section in Google was "Warum hat der Trainer von Heidenheim den Kopf schief?". lol wtf

3 hours ago, nudge said:

I really hope they get promoted, Frank Schmidt deserves it after all these years.

On a slightly related note, I just googled him to see how long he's been in the club already, and the first result under the questions section in Google was "Warum hat der Trainer von Heidenheim den Kopf schief?". lol wtf

I must admit that I have googled that in the past, out of curiosity. xD

Whilst top3 look quite settled baring an enomous collapse of HSV, the relegation fight is intriguing. Here are the last four schedule:

12) Fürth 36 points

Bielefeld (A)

Braunschweig (H)

Hamburg (A)

Darmstadt (H)

13) Nürnberg 33 points

Lautern (H)

Magdeburg (A)

Rostock (H)

Paderborn (A)

14) Braunschweig 32 points

Sandhausen (H)

Fürth (A)

Regensburg (H)

Rostock (A)

15) Rostock 31 points

Regensburg (H)

Sandhausen (A)

Nürnberg (A)

Braunschweig (H)

16) Bielefeld 29 points

Fürth (H)

Lautern (A)

Paderborn (H)

Magdeburg (A)

17) Regensburg 28 points

Rostock (A)

Hamburg (H)

Braunschweig (A)

Heidenheim (H)

18) Sandhausen 28 points

Braunschweig (A)

Rostock (H)

Heidenheim (A)

Hamburg (H)

Both Braunschweig and Rostock only play against other teams in the relegation fight, this will be intriguing matches.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
On 13/07/2022 at 16:57, nudge said:

My original bold prediction was that Magdeburg will be the surprise package and will not only manage to stay up, but actually end up in a safe mid-table position or wherabouts. But they appear to be plagued by injuries, so I'll change my bold prediction to Kaiserslautern finishing 11th :P 

Almost a visionary.

I hope that Arminia Bielefeld stay up via the play-offs against Wehen Wiesbaden. I think that Bielefeld have some decent players in their team and that they would have done much better under better management. 

Congratulations on Heidenheim winning the 2.Bundesliga and unlucky for Darmstadt who came 2nd, despite finishing level on points with Heidenheim at the top of the table. At least they both get the prize of playing in the Bundesliga next season.

As for Hamburg, I am not sure if I want them to win the play-offs against Stuttgart or not. I still think that Stuttgart currently have the better team. But I do feel for Hamburg, having come so close to promotion in the last few previous seasons. They finished 3rd as well last season, but lost out in the play-offs to Hertha Berlin and Hamburg also finished 4th in the 2.Bundesliga during the 2018/19, the 2019/20 and the 2020/21 seasons. So I do kind of feel sorry for them and think that it might be about time they get promoted back to the Bundesliga.

25 minutes ago, Michael said:

I hope that Arminia Bielefeld stay up via the play-offs against Wehen Wiesbaden. I think that Bielefeld have some decent players in their team and that they would have done much better under better management. 

Congratulations on Heidenheim winning the 2.Bundesliga and unlucky for Darmstadt who came 2nd, despite finishing level on points with Heidenheim at the top of the table. At least they both get the prize of playing in the Bundesliga next season.

As for Hamburg, I am not sure if I want them to win the play-offs against Stuttgart or not. I still think that Stuttgart currently have the better team. But I do feel for Hamburg, having come so close to promotion in the last few previous seasons. They finished 3rd as well last season, but lost out in the play-offs to Hertha Berlin and Hamburg also finished 4th in the 2.Bundesliga during the 2018/19, the 2019/20 and the 2020/21 seasons. So I do kind of feel sorry for them and think that it might be about time they get promoted back to the Bundesliga.

Disagree, Wiesbaden and their 2-3k spectators should kindly mess up the attendance average of 2.Liga. Contrary to them, Sandhausen, and Regensburg Bielefeld would bring some people to the away end.

The difference in TV money between 2.Liga and 3.Liga is enormous as it is. So I have no issues with 3.Liga having those clubs in it that at least have some fans. Especially so since Osnabrück, one of 6 out of 20 3.Liga clubs that had an average attendance above 10k, were promoted to 2.Liga.

On a side note: the 5 others were Dresden, Essen, 1860 München, Duisburg, and us.

4 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Disagree, Wiesbaden and their 2-3k spectators should kindly mess up the attendance average of 2.Liga. Contrary to them, Sandhausen, and Regensburg Bielefeld would bring some people to the away end.

The difference in TV money between 2.Liga and 3.Liga is enormous as it is. So I have no issues with 3.Liga having those clubs in it that at least have some fans. Especially so since Osnabrück, one of 6 out of 20 3.Liga clubs that had an average attendance above 10k, were promoted to 2.Liga.

On a side note: the 5 others were Dresden, Essen, 1860 München, and us.

Fair enough, I was just commenting on the fact that I think that Bielefeld have a team of some very decent players at this level who deserve better, but also because I kind of have a soft spot for the club. But I get your point and I respect the perspective from where you are coming from.

• 2 weeks later...
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived