talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Dean Henderson - Joins Nottingham Forest on loan

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he's still as confident as he was when he played for Sheffield United then this is the best realistic signing Nottingham Forest could make as a replacement for Samba.

Nick Pope is the better shot stopper but signing a Goalkeeper who will be on significantly more money than any of your players sets a terrible precedent when it comes to further signings and contract renewals. A loan with an option to buy prevents that situation escalating and if he performs would be well worth signing if they survive.

@DeadLinesman @CaaC (John)  @MUFC @Devil @Redcanuck 

How do you lads feel about this?

I know one United fan who thinks United shouldn't be persisting with DDG & that you should be giving Henderson a chance this season. His reasoning is "De Gea's only good at shot stopping, he's not a good keeper in modern football" - but at the end of the day, wasn't he one of the best United players over the season? If not the best player?

My thoughts on Henderson v. De Gea are: Henderson looked great as Sheffield United's keeper... but never really convinced me that he's a good enough keeper for United in the bits and pieces I've seen of him. My friend, who admittedly, has seen more of him than me disagrees. Whereas, I've seen De Gea put in some fantastic performances that have definitely won United points over the years.

For me it seems mental to prefer Henderson to De Gea... but I guess there's the whole "football is adapting" and "Henderson is young and with potential to be better in modern football" argument... and I think there's a fair point to that - De Gea's biggest strength is that he's a good shot stopper, but he's not as well rounded as a lot of other keepers.

15 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

De Gea was decent last season, no?

As Mike said, he’s doing nothing that suggests he’s the top keeper in the world. We’re just really fucking stupid when it comes to paying people. As a shot stopper, you can’t get much better. However, his distribution has been extremely poor and he never commands his area. We’ll see what Ten Hag does with him this season in a new system, but I’d think it’s time we start moving on. Henderson is certainly not the answer though. He’s already proven to be an isolating figure with his constant dressing room leaks via his agent so he can go and get himself fucked.

De Gea isn't commanding enough of his area and has limitations with the ball at his feet but Henderson isn't the answer for replacing.

We should have sold him whilst his stock was high.

Good start by them considering they will be losing Bryce Samba on a free. They really want to be spending big on the outfield players to survive.

He's more than capable at this level and he'll feel comfortable in the surroundings at Forest unlike Old Trafford where expectancy levels are much higher.

• The title was changed to Dean Henderson - Joins Nottingham Forest on loan
  • Subscriber

Sensible signing. Never quite bought the idea of him being the De Gea successor but a loan to them is a good move for all parties.

Forest made a couple of alright moves so far. That Awoniyi is a decent signing as well.

I’m excited to see Awoniyi in the league finally. It was very frustrating that despite looking like a top player in our academy and reserves he never got the work permit until right when the fee to sell him was negotiated. And at that point I think he thought “well I can get regular football now as a starter so I might as well move” - which I think was probably a good career choice.

He’s got all the raw attributes to be a good striker in the league, will be cool to finally see him play regularly.

Archived