talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Good, The Bad & The Flattering to Deceive - 2022/23 Edition

• Administrator

Well. Here we go again then!

The Good

I mean it's Haaland isn't it. There's no way around it. That team creates so many chances, he should smash it. Could he be Ibramhimovich 2.0 for Pep and all the problems that caused him at Barca, I doubt it. He'll score 20+ goals and it'll be money well spent.

The Bad

Eddie Nketiah. It's going to be too much for the lad to carry that front line. Not getting another forward is going to be a mistake.

The flattering to deceive

I don't see all the hype around Nunez and I don't think he'll live up to that price tag in a Liverpool team in transition. Salah looks off the pace. Mane is off. Jota is streaky. A lot of pressure to deliver on the new forward. 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The topic was pinned

I've done this every year @Batard has created it, but I'll find it hard to beat last season's tip of Mason Greenwood being the youngster on everyone's lips xD

Yes the season has started but I'm not one for judging 38 weeks off the back of one.

Anyway, as some bloke on Twitter says, "here we go..."

The Good

Team - Tottenham

Head tells me "Don't say it, don't say it..." and then my mouth says it. Tottenham are the team to watch. Done. I've said it.

Do I think they can challenge for the title? No. They are not in the City/Liverpool bracket yet. But they can bridge that gap.

22pts they finished behind Man City last season. I expect Spurs for only the 2nd time in their PL seasons to hit the 80pt mark which would be a massive improvement for them. They'll have had a great season if they manage that, probably nailing 3rd in the process.

Player - It would be very easy to say Haaland but I won't. But I think Gabriel Jesus will have an excellent season at Arsenal in a team where he will be made to feel like the main man, and every striker craves that.

I fully expect him to be hovering around the top of the Golden Boot charts come May.

Manager - Antonio Conte. As said before, I think Spurs will have a good season, I like their signings, and I think his winners mentality will push this squad to break boundaries they aren't used to

It is all about changing the mindset of the players at the club and if anyone can, he can. 3rd and a cup would be a brilliant season for him.

The Bad

Team - Wolves

I feel like the wheels are slowly coming off at the club. Lage has changed systems for the first time in about 5 years to what the players were drummed into under Nuno which could be dangerous.

The goals seem to dry up as each season goes by for them, just too over reliant on Jimenez for me, especially when he is out. And I actually wonder if the clean sheets will be less now they have moved from the back 3 system. Losing club captain Coady could be a disaster, not just on the pitch but what he brings off it more so in his captaincy and personality.

Player - Jesse Lingard. I just don't buy he's that interested in being at Forest. I think he's simply gone for the money and with the thought of getting a World Cup place being a regular. If they go down, he wont care because he'll be off so will he really push that hard to save them? I think he'll regret not going West Ham in a more competitive environment personally.

Manager - Frank Lampard. Just don't rate the guy tactically and think he got extremely lucky to get away with the drop last season, it certainly wasn't his doing. The fans saved him.

Everton are making some canny signings defensively but I really think scoring goals is a bigger issue. And I am not sure Lampard is the right person to get the best with the players he has. I am sure 9 months will be more than enough for him to get found out there.

The flattering to deceive

Team - Aston Villa. Each year they spend and bring in players expecting to make that next jump and yet, they serve up some pretty average football. If any team has underachieved last season it is them and they should be under some serious scrutiny if they languish in that 14th - 18th zone again given their outlay.

Player - Phillipe Coutinho. Got the permanent move to Villa now so he can relax and disappear into the background, becoming anonymous for three quaters of the season before two great obligatory performances against Leeds of course.

I think Coutinho is one of those that runs in and out of form over the season and finds it particularly hard to remain at a consistant level. Coupled with a habit of picking up niggly injuries, I feel like he'll end up fading into the background this season. There's no way he will be Villa's player of the season, I'll tell you that now.

Manager - Steve Gerrard. It's a Villa hat trick, sorry. I'm just struggling to buy into the Gerrard hype.

Come from Rangers with a lot of credit, been backed already quite well by Villa and should be getting more from the squad he has. No excuses really.

I think his biggest issue is he doesn't know his best team and his record completely backs up their inconsistancies.

If Villa have another mediocre season, it puts a serious black mark against Gerrard as a potential successor to Klopp, which as we all know, is the job he would ultimately want one day.

• Subscriber

The Good

Finally, United got rid of the biggest waster and toss pot going, Pogba and Lingard before him, now take that captain's armband off the flat head and give it to.......fucked if I know, maybe the United tea lady?

The Bad

With another United manager since SAF, all the hype has begun about what a great manager Eric Ten Hag is but he soon found out he has a team of losers and owners that are a bunch of toss pots, hopefully, he can get the United ship sailing along again and not on stormy waters but with the initials ET (Hag), we all know what happened to the little alien, caused mayhem then "ET go home, home...", and then he left.

The Flattering to deceive

All the hype now about Haaland becoming the next Messi etc, I will wait and see on that one, I wouldn't say Stirling is anything like Haaland but when Stirling arrived at City @Happy Blue was creaming his pants like he is now with Haaland, Stirling served Pep the way he wanted then moved him on, there was only 1 Agüero and there won't be another. 

38 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

The Good

Finally, United got rid of the biggest waster and toss pot going, Pogba and Lingard before him, now take that captain's armband off the flat head and give it to.......fucked if I know, maybe the United tea lady?

The Bad

With another United manager since SAF, all the hype has begun about what a great manager Eric Ten Hag is but he soon found out he has a team of losers and owners that are a bunch of toss pots, hopefully, he can get the United ship sailing along again and not on stormy waters but with the initials ET (Hag), we all know what happened to the little alien, caused mayhem then "ET go home, home...", and then he left.

The Flattering to deceive

All the hype now about Haaland becoming the next Messi etc, I will wait and see on that one, I wouldn't say Stirling is anything like Haaland but when Stirling arrived at City @Happy Blue was creaming his pants like he is now with Haaland, Stirling served Pep the way he wanted then moved him on, there was only 1 Agüero and there won't be another. 

Sterling was a good player for us back then despite always being a bit of a shite finisher he was better than the winger we had then. Haaland isn't the next Messi, that's Foden ;) Haaland is a freak of nature and will go down as one of the greatest strikers of all time, CB's cant cope with his speed and power and he's clinical finishing, we don't have to wait and see he's been doing it for 3 years now breaking CL & Bundesliga records along the way, now he has De Bruyne feeding him, that should be some kind of cheat code 😂 he will end up City's top scorer of all time before his first contract is up for renewal 

2 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

What about if he gets injured? you can't rely on KDB to give him his egg on toast. :D

We have South Americas best striker in Alvarez to fill in :D ..Haaland will be looked after better at City too, he won't be needed to play every game and will get 3 weeks rest when the world cup starts

• 4 months later...
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived