talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

TF365 Quiz 1 - General Knowledge

football forum

• Subscriber

Please make sure you have read the Guidelines and FAQ thread before taking part in the Quiz League - this will only take you two minutes.

Quiz League Round 1 - General Knowledge

This was actually the sample quiz I posted the other day but I had to take it down before anyone had a go at it. A few questions here, mainly based on English football and the Premier League with some questions on the World Cup too.

Click Here to take the quiz!

Access Code: YDYP4

Round 1 Deadline: Sunday 2nd July 16:30 (UK Time)

Remember! Do not give away answers in this thread until they have been revealed after the deadline!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
4 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Done. 

That was a lot harder than Toony's Sporcle stuff. 

I enjoyed that tbh but this is definitely more of a challenge. 

Good range of questions. A couple for me were complete guesses because I was thinking the answer could have been any of those provided. A couple of them were easier to get if you worked them out carefully.

I say that now but I could well be made to look foolish. I'd take a 7 or an 8 to start off the comp.

• Subscriber
39 minutes ago, Tsubasa said:

Very Premier League biased, so I probably got a lot of stuff wrong, but oh well. 

Yeah I'll mix it up in future across the European leagues, this one's a bit of a trial run to assess difficulty etc. You did get a Germany question at the end xD.

4 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

15 entries so far, much better than I was expecting in the first 24 hours, nice one guys B|. Make that 16 if someone wants to own up to that other entry.

Did they get a good score? If so, that was me. 

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

15 entries so far, much better than I was expecting in the first 24 hours, nice one guys B|. Make that 16 if someone wants to own up to that other entry.

is there anything to stop people submitting scores as someone else? given that anyone can enter a username and pose as someone else and give that person a shit score. 

just a suggestion to maybe PM those who have taken part already with a random codeword/password which they enter for future quizzes instead of their username. So only you would know who has submitted their entry because each person has their own unique word. 

And anyone new who wants to take part just states their interest in the thread, and then you'd send a PM to them with their own 'word' to input on the first page of the quiz.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Stan said:

is there anything to stop people submitting scores as someone else? given that anyone can enter a username and pose as someone else and give that person a shit score. 

just a suggestion to maybe PM those who have taken part already with a random codeword/password which they enter for future quizzes instead of their username. So only you would know who has submitted their entry because each person has their own unique word. 

And anyone new who wants to take part just states their interest in the thread, and then you'd send a PM to them with their own 'word' to input on the first page of the quiz.

That's an absolute load of effort though and I don't think anyone is enough of a dick to cheat by doing that. If I do get duplicates such as having two "Stan"s I can just PM you and ask for example, which option did you choose on Question 3 and that'll tell me which one was actually you.

• Administrator
Just now, RandoEFC said:

That's an absolute load of effort though and I don't think anyone is enough of a dick to cheat by doing that. If I do get duplicates such as having two "Stan"s I can just PM you and ask for example, which option did you choose on Question 3 and that'll tell me which one was actually you.

you'd be surprised on here xD

Yeah just keep it simple. A lot of trust goes into it but at the end of the day, it's all just a bit of fun.

If someone really wants to cheat that badly just to have the kudos of winning an internet football quiz then it's time for them to re-evaluate their life.

• Subscriber

I've noticed that when I click open the results it shows me how long each person took over the quiz, most people taking less than 5 minutes to answer 10 multiple choice questions unsurprisingly, so if someone starts getting 10 out of 10 every time and I see it's taking them 20 minutes to complete the quiz that's a bit of a giveaway that Google are getting some good business out of this competition.

It's quite difficult and laborious on mobile (not to the point of it being an obvious huge difference), but just if you are basing people who are tied on speed of answers some might have been zooming in and out, dragging around the page etc.

I won't be anywhere near first so if that mobile situation is just me discard this xD

• Administrator
40 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I've noticed that when I click open the results it shows me how long each person took over the quiz, most people taking less than 5 minutes to answer 10 multiple choice questions unsurprisingly, so if someone starts getting 10 out of 10 every time and I see it's taking them 20 minutes to complete the quiz that's a bit of a giveaway that Google are getting some good business out of this competition.

that's decent tbh. 

• Subscriber
53 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

If it's taking someone 20 minutes then they are quite shit at Google.

• Subscriber

The deadline has now passed and no further results will be taken into account - thank you to the 16 members who took part in this round. The answers to the first quiz are as follows:

Quiz 1 Answers

1) How many times have Arsenal won the Premier League since it was formed in 1992?

B – 3. Arsenal lifted the title in 1998, 2002 and 2004.

2) Who was the manager of Chelsea immediately before Jose Mourinho was appointed for his first spell in charge in 2004?

A – Claudio Ranieri. The Italian was Chelsea boss from September 2000 until May 2004 when he was replaced by “The Special One”. He remains Chelsea’s longest-serving manager since the 1980s. Other options here were Vialli (1998-2000) who preceded Ranieri, Scolari (July 2008 – Feb 2009) and Wilkins, who took caretaker charge for one week following Scolari’s tenure.

3) Which year did Roberto Mancini win the FA Cup with Manchester City?

B – 2011. City’s first major trophy since the 1976 League Cup.

4) Who scored the winning goal in the 2016 FA Cup Final when Louis Van Gaal’s Manchester United defeated Crystal Palace?

A – Jesse Lingard. Lingard scored the winning goal in extra time despite team-mate Smalling’s dismissal. Other options were Juan Mata, who scored in normal time, Marcus Rashford who started the final but was subbed off after 72 minutes, and Wayne Rooney, who captained the side to victory.

5) Which of the following players has NOT made over 500 appearances in the Premier League?

B – Gary Neville. While Neville made 602 appearances in a United shirt, only 400 of these came in the Premier League, leaving him quite a way behind the other options Heskey (516 league appearances), Carragher (508) and Sol Campbell (503).

6) Each of the following players has scored over 100 goals in the Premier League, but which one has scored the most?

D – Teddy Sheringham. Teddy just squeezes into the top ten of all-time Premier League goal scorers still, with 146 goals for five different clubs. His contenders in this list rank as follows: Yorke (123), Wright (113), Dublin (111).

7) Which of the following players has NOT won the Premier League Golden Boot?

D – Wayne Rooney. Despite sitting second in the all-time goal scorers list in the Premier League behind Alan Shearer, Rooney has never been the top goal scorer in a season, his best efforts coming when he came 2nd in 2009-10 and 2011-12. Nicolas Anelka bagged the Golden Boot in 2008-09, with his 19 goals the lowest of a stand-alone winner of the award, while Berbatov and Tevez were joint winners with 20 goals in 2010-11.

8) In which year was the first FIFA World Cup held?

A – 1930. Some cheeky maths work eliminates 1932 and 1936 as options due to the four-year cycle for each World Cup. The inaugural event saw hosts Uruguay beat Argentina in the Final.

9) Which of the following nations has never reached a World Cup Final?

A – Croatia. Croatia’s best performance at a World Cup came in 1998 where they beat Holland in the third-place play-off. As for the other teams on the list, Czechoslovakia lost in finals to Italy (1934) and Brazil (1962), Hungary were runners up to Italy in 1938 and West Germany in 1954, while Sweden lost to Brazil in the final of the 1958 competition that they hosted.

10) German national sides have contested eight World Cup Finals in total, but how many of these appearances came when they took part as West Germany?

D – 6. West Germany won the World Cup three times (1954, 1974, 1990) and were runners up three times (1966, 1982, 1986), while Germany won the World Cup in 2014 having lost to Brazil in the 2002 final.

Results

59591475a961e_Quiz1Results.thumb.png.f6331045473fee64b4b8e65a53b4fcc3.png

Congratulations to @Lucas who bags the highest score in the first round and will therefore lead the standings. Commiserations to @Tsubasa who walks away with the wooden spoon this week, but will get another case to showcase his talents in the next round.

Archived