talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League Off-Topic

So, 2 podcast-vlog things started up recently.

Gary Lineker, Alan Shearer & Micah Richards started a while back, 'The Rest Is Football'

I've tried a few, but it's just not my thing. I did already feel a little bored of the Lineker-Shearer thing. Always preferred hearing what Alan Hansen thought of things. Without any BBC balance at all, it's totally Big 6 + Newcastle orientated. And Micah Richards, well, he seems devoid of any good humour at all when it comes to Aston Villa. He was at a terribly declined shadow of Villa between 2015 to 2019. Through form & fitness managed to play a grand total of 26 games. And any stories or anecdotes of his time at Villa never ever acknowledge his career had gone on a similar trajectory to that of the club. There seems genuine resentment toward Villa, staff, colleagues & fans, that he did bugger all for 4 years while still picking up a footballers wage. The fact he was recently voted Aston Villa's worst ever signing suggests I'm probably not alone. Joleon Lescott only managed to get 6th place in that vote. The one that Tweeted a fancy car pic after getting hammered by Liverpool at Villa Park. 

The other is Gary Neville, Jamie Carragher, Roy Keane, Jill Scott & Ian Wright (so more diverse..) have more recently launched 'Stick To Football' Not really got through one of those yet, as none of the first 3 have ever been among my favourites to hear from. 

I find I very much enjoy a few Villa fan efforts. One Canadian guy in particular, with his 'Holy Trinity' show is almost a professional game by game review, from a Villa point of view. And I think he was an actual TV presenter type person in Canada.

Edited by Reluctant Striker

• Administrator

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67150382

The Premier League will increase the number of live televised fixtures in the UK from 200 to around 270 in its next rights cycle.

Five live packages of between 42 and 65 games are going up for tender in a four-year deal from the 2025-26 season.

The Saturday afternoon 3pm blackout will remain in place but every 2pm Sunday kick-off will be televised.

This is the first time the Premier League has been through a tender process for its rights since 2018.

The current £5bn domestic TV rights deal, which expires at the end of the 2024-25 season, was allowed to be extended because of the Covid-19 pandemic.

It the first time the Premier League has put its UK rights up for sale in six years and it expects to secure a significant increase in value for the new deal.

Currently Sky has four packages consisting of 128 matches per season, TNT two packages with 52 matches and Amazon has one package of 20 matches.

In the new deal, five midweek rounds will be available instead of the current four, while the Saturday 12:30pm and 5:30pm and the Sunday 2pm and 4.30pm stay in place, along with the 8pm Monday or Friday slot.

The tender process will be completed by the end of the year.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2023 at 20:32, Reluctant Striker said:

So, 2 podcast-vlog things started up recently.

Gary Lineker, Alan Shearer & Micah Richards started a while back, 'The Rest Is Football'

I've tried a few, but it's just not my thing. I did already feel a little bored of the Lineker-Shearer thing. Always preferred hearing what Alan Hansen thought of things. Without any BBC balance at all, it's totally Big 6 + Newcastle orientated. And Micah Richards, well, he seems devoid of any good humour at all when it comes to Aston Villa. He was at a terribly declined shadow of Villa between 2015 to 2019. Through form & fitness managed to play a grand total of 26 games. And any stories or anecdotes of his time at Villa never ever acknowledge his career had gone on a similar trajectory to that of the club. There seems genuine resentment toward Villa, staff, colleagues & fans, that he did bugger all for 4 years while still picking up a footballers wage. The fact he was recently voted Aston Villa's worst ever signing suggests I'm probably not alone. Joleon Lescott only managed to get 6th place in that vote. The one that Tweeted a fancy car pic after getting hammered by Liverpool at Villa Park. 

The other is Gary Neville, Jamie Carragher, Roy Keane, Jill Scott & Ian Wright (so more diverse..) have more recently launched 'Stick To Football' Not really got through one of those yet, as none of the first 3 have ever been among my favourites to hear from. 

I find I very much enjoy a few Villa fan efforts. One Canadian guy in particular, with his 'Holy Trinity' show is almost a professional game by game review, from a Villa point of view. And I think he was an actual TV presenter type person in Canada.

The Rest Is Football is quite good. Different from most football podcasts as they don't necessarily focus on previewing/reviewing weekly matches. More of a general discussion about football past and present from the perspective of ex-footballers.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator
19 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Its getting to a point where paying for a dodgy box to watch football feels like the moral choice.

That's obscene and I doubt that will go down well with lots of charities that support to prevent gambling addiction, let alone mental health charities and advocates.

Not sure what Bet365 thought they would achieve here. They just make themselves look like the bad guys even more now. 

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

6pts separating the top 5 (if Liverpool win later) is very refreshing to see at this stage of the season. 

Not one team running away with it, Man City faltering, other teams remaining competitive. Hope it continues until the end. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Wonder what the rationale behind the 10 PL clubs refusing the deal to help EFL clubs out is. 

Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham, West Ham, Liverpool, Forest, Villa, Wolves, Palace, Bournemouth apparently the 10. 

• 5 weeks later...

Remaining fixtures in the title race:

Man City - 73pts

A vs. Brighton (25/04)

A vs. Nottingham Forest (28/04)

H vs. Wolves (04/05)

A vs. Fulham (11/05)

A vs. Tottenham (14/05)

H vs. West Ham (19/05)

Arsenal - 71pts

A vs. Wolves (20/04)

H vs. Chelsea (23/04)

A vs. Tottenham (28/04)

H vs. Bournemouth (04/05)

A vs. Man Utd (12/05)

H vs. Everton (19/05)

Liverpool - 71pts

A vs. Fulham (21/04)

A vs. Everton (24/04)

A vs. West Ham (27/04)

H vs. Tottenham (05/05)

A vs. Aston Villa (13/05)

H vs. Wolves (19/05)

• 2 weeks later...

According to the Daily Mail, Vincent Kompany told Darren England he was a "fucking cheat" multiple times in their match against Chelsea. Now if the Daily Mail is telling the truth (and that's a big if) it makes what Kompany said after the match so funny.

After the match, Kompany said: "I've said it to the referees themselves, the officials, refereeing hasn't been good enough this season. And I have said that in, I think, a constructive way."