talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Harry Winks - Loaned to Sampdoria

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/everton-harry-winks-tottenham-hotspur-24290723

Don't think he's much of an improvement on Davies if I'm honest. Some lad on reddit who's acting like he's got inside information from Everton (which I doubt a lot tbh, but maybe he knows something) seems to think it's absolute bullshit though and a story planted by his agent to try to draw up his price because he's likely to move to Palace.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was definitely a good Premier League player there before he got Mourinho'd.

Personally I'd rather see him try to restart his career elsewhere. We fell in to a trap previously of giving players a second chance prior to Roy's arrival and it led to about four seasons of penny pinching in the transfer market.

• Subscriber

Everton want to loan him, Spurs want to sell permanently.

He's probably better than Tom Davies, he certainly showed more when he was younger but I don't think he's the type of player we need. We're desperate for some athleticism in that midfield after having Allan, Delph and Gomes to choose from alongside Doucoure who's the only one who can actually run.

I certainly wouldn't want to see us blowing £20m on him when we're already limited on spendable funds, which is the fee that seems to be touted.

• Subscriber

Now reports circulating that this deal has hit the rocks. Some mentioning "due diligence" from Lampard playing a role, whatever that means. Everton wanted a loan, Spurs wanted a sale. Sounded for a while like there might be a loan with a fee, but then apparently Spurs still wanted an obligation to buy and Everton weren't willing.

15 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Now reports circulating that this deal has hit the rocks. Some mentioning "due diligence" from Lampard playing a role, whatever that means. Everton wanted a loan, Spurs wanted a sale. Sounded for a while like there might be a loan with a fee, but then apparently Spurs still wanted an obligation to buy and Everton weren't willing.

Probably for the best if the manager wasn't too keen on the player coming in. With FFP won't you have to be fairly cautious with your signings this summer? With limited funds it's probably better that all signings are players the manager feels 100% confident in.

Otherwise it's just more wasted money for a player to come in and probably not fit in well...

And if I'm honest, I very much thought signings Winks for Everton is essentially signing a player that on the face of it wouldn't be adding much to your midfield other than a bit of depth. But I think Everton fans would rather see better players come in that create depth by pushing current starters onto the bench and making them fight for a place back in the side.

Dunno how possible that is considering the financial situation. But having someone who actually will let the people who understand football making the football decisions as an owner would probably be a big help if a new takeover is truly imminent.

• Subscriber
46 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Probably for the best if the manager wasn't too keen on the player coming in. With FFP won't you have to be fairly cautious with your signings this summer? With limited funds it's probably better that all signings are players the manager feels 100% confident in.

Otherwise it's just more wasted money for a player to come in and probably not fit in well...

And if I'm honest, I very much thought signings Winks for Everton is essentially signing a player that on the face of it wouldn't be adding much to your midfield other than a bit of depth. But I think Everton fans would rather see better players come in that create depth by pushing current starters onto the bench and making them fight for a place back in the side.

Dunno how possible that is considering the financial situation. But having someone who actually will let the people who understand football making the football decisions as an owner would probably be a big help if a new takeover is truly imminent.

Read a tweet earlier that we've made about £65m profit in player transfers from July 1st 2021 to June 30th 2022 following the confirmation of the Richarlison deal, but still made a £70m loss overall. I don't really know which of those figures are relevant to our potential to spend money on players this summer.

I'm not interested enough in football finance to go and gain a proper understanding of it but when we were £200m beyond the acceptable loss-making threshold last season and didn't get any sanctions for it, it really does just feel like it's impossible to understand what the rules are because there's so much scope for fiddling with hypothetical numbers that the whole FFP thing just feels like it's essentially made up.

I'd rather we prioritised a central midfielder that can run and defend because we haven't had that since Idrissa Gueye. Delph, Allan, Gomes, Davies have all looked like they're running in treacle in recent seasons compared to the majority of Premier League opponents who have invested in dynamic and athletic midfielders. Doucoure can run but he's not exactly a holding midfield player. It's a massive gap in our team and I understand that a ball playing midfielder like Winks is also a gap in our squad but the failure of our current midfield players to cover that area of the pitch is a bigger reason for us getting dominated in that area possession wise anyway.

• The title was changed to Harry Winks - Loaned to Sampdoria

Archived