talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Neco Williams - joins Forest

It's an "aside" in this link - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/06/22/transfer-notebook-gareth-bale-spotted-cardiff-city-training/ 

Apparently, they've made a £15m bid while Fulham have only made a £10m bid - so we're obviously considering the higher bid over the lower bid. Decent fee for a player that I think has shown a lot of promise but long-term isn't really going to make it with us as a RB or RW.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It's an "aside" in this link - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/06/22/transfer-notebook-gareth-bale-spotted-cardiff-city-training/ 

Apparently, they've made a £15m bid while Fulham have only made a £10m bid - so we're obviously considering the higher bid over the lower bid. Decent fee for a player that I think has shown a lot of promise but long-term isn't really going to make it with us as a RB or RW.

Fuck me a scouser actually being honest about him.. 

Your the only one who I've seen saying exactly what I think. Of course he could prove us both totally wrong. Looks solid enough but not enough to a regular in a team challenging for trophies on every front. 

Decent signing for forest. 

Personally I think forest will do better than Fulham 

18 minutes ago, Claret and Blue said:

Fuck me a scouser actually being honest about him.. 

Your the only one who I've seen saying exactly what I think. Of course he could prove us both totally wrong. Looks solid enough but not enough to a regular in a team challenging for trophies on every front. 

Decent signing for forest. 

Personally I think forest will do better than Fulham 

I think most people LFC fans I know (real life and online) feel the same way about him. He looks good, he's also miles off what the current standard at our club is. Doesn't mean he's a bad player, just that he's not really close to being as good as Trent (in fact, some of the biggest criticisms that have landed at Trent's feet are really infinitely more true for Neco... and while they've got the same strengths... it's pretty clear Trent is the better of the two going forward)... and he's certainly not as good as Salah on the wing.

I think if he was going to stay with us, I'd prefer him as a winger than a fullback tbh. He's been good for us in his limited appearances, but I always thought he looked much more promising going forward with the ball than he ever looked convincing defending. But he's got plenty of time to develop his game and maybe in the future he'll look good enough to be at a club where we're at now where the expectation is to fight for at least a trophy a season. But right now do I see him as a long term solution for us at fullback or on the wing? Nah, not really - I think it's the right time to let him go and let him get first team chances elsewhere.

I certainly hope Forest do better than Fulham.

5 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think most people LFC fans I know (real life and online) feel the same way about him. He looks good, he's also miles off what the current standard at our club is. Doesn't mean he's a bad player, just that he's not really close to being as good as Trent (in fact, some of the biggest criticisms that have landed at Trent's feet are really infinitely more true for Neco... and while they've got the same strengths... it's pretty clear Trent is the better of the two going forward)... and he's certainly not as good as Salah on the wing.

I think if he was going to stay with us, I'd prefer him as a winger than a fullback tbh. He's been good for us in his limited appearances, but I always thought he looked much more promising going forward with the ball than he ever looked convincing defending. But he's got plenty of time to develop his game and maybe in the future he'll look good enough to be at a club where we're at now where the expectation is to fight for at least a trophy a season. But right now do I see him as a long term solution for us at fullback or on the wing? Nah, not really - I think it's the right time to let him go and let him get first team chances elsewhere.

I certainly hope Forest do better than Fulham.

He he doing world Cup with Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 too won't he especially if he has a good season. 

Nothing against Fulham myself apart from that smug twat they have as manager can't stand him 

Yeah I'm not sure I know any Liverpool fans who thought he'd make it here to be honest. Early signs were promising but he did have a couple of stinkers when deputising for Arnold or Robertson in a league game. He was fine in the early domestic cup rounds but it was apparent that Klopp didn't have enough faith in him to throw him into a league game if TAA was unavailable. Milner was often the choice at RB if TAA and Gomez weren't available.

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Lucas said:

£15m for Neko Williams?

Jesus. He's done nothing to justify that at this level. If Forest pay that they are absolute mugs.

Liverpool are renowned for getting decent fees for back up players. 

7 hours ago, Lucas said:

£15m for Neko Williams?

Jesus. He's done nothing to justify that at this level. If Forest pay that they are absolute mugs.

I think 13m would be a fair price to be honest given you're paying for a player that will sort you for the next 10+ years. We got Joel Ward on a free but for the last ten years he's effectively been priceless.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
35 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

17m?! Jesus, Forest are not afraid to spend this summer.

Another quality fee from Liverpool for a back up player too. 

9 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Liverpool are great at selling but it's ridiculous how these clubs can't see that they're getting bent over. £5m would've made more sense.

Maybe 10-15 years ago? But at this point, we're talking about a player who even if they get relegated looked like a player that would at least be comfortable at a top championship side that expects to fight for promotion. And if they go down and he looks good and other premier league clubs want to buy him, he's young and he's got quality and that means high resale value to demand a decent fee.

I think it's weird he's gone for more than Minamino, but I think this is a bit different to Ibe and Solanke, because while he's a bit naive defensively I think he's done enough in his time with us and on loan at Fulham to show he's worth at least £10m in today's market. Especially as a player that counts as homegrown.

Good luck to him though, as a RB who can also play at RW he came through at a difficult time because he's never going to displace Trent or Mo when they're fit.

44 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Liverpool are great at selling but it's ridiculous how these clubs can't see that they're getting bent over. £5m would've made more sense.

Liverpool were brilliant in fleecing benfica for nunez,  benfica scared suitors off with a 100m demand,  next thing the player demands a move and only liverpool was an option.  the agent obviously got some kickers

• Subscriber

The fee is steep but not by as much as people are making out. He's looked alright whenever I've seen him and expect he'd be a decent signing for a lower Premier League side.

It's not like Ibe and Solanke who were further into their careers and already looked stagnant after a couple of years on Liverpool's bench. Williams has actually shown signs of promise, he just obviously isn't getting regular games there any time soon.

I also think people might be confusing him with one or both of those centre backs they had to play last season who looked genuinely quite rubbish most of the time. Nat Phillips and/or the one they randomly signed from Preston, I'm not quite sure whether that's the same player or two different players. 😄

6 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

The fee is steep but not by as much as people are making out. He's looked alright whenever I've seen him and expect he'd be a decent signing for a lower Premier League side.

It's not like Ibe and Solanke who were further into their careers and already looked stagnant after a couple of years on Liverpool's bench. Williams has actually shown signs of promise, he just obviously isn't getting regular games there any time soon.

I also think people might be confusing him with one or both of those centre backs they had to play last season who looked genuinely quite rubbish most of the time. Nat Phillips and/or the one they randomly signed from Preston, I'm not quite sure whether that's the same player or two different players. 😄

I think you're thinking of Rhys Williams. He is actually from Preston I think but he came through the academy 

24 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

Fulham 2.0

That is the concern. On paper all those players Fulham signed (that we had all heard of) looked very impressive. Unfortunately for Tony Khan he didn't realise that football is played on grass as opposed to spreadsheets.

Two things Nottingham Forest have going for them though are:

- Dane Murphy has been recognised as one of the best CEO's at there level for some time and you'd expect a lot of research and thought has gone in to these signings. Tony Khan on the other hand is a dork.

- Nottingham Forest have to sign at least 7/8 influential players to replace all the players that were on loan or leaving anyway. Fulham chose to alienate the players that had got them promoted on two separate occasions.

4 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

That is the concern. On paper all those players Fulham signed (that we had all heard of) looked very impressive. Unfortunately for Tony Khan he didn't realise that football is played on grass as opposed to spreadsheets.

Two things Nottingham Forest have going for them though are:

- Dane Murphy has been recognised as one of the best CEO's at there level for some time and you'd expect a lot of research and thought has gone in to these signings. Tony Khan on the other hand is a dork.

- Nottingham Forest have to sign at least 7/8 influential players to replace all the players that were on loan or leaving anyway. Fulham chose to alienate the players that had got them promoted on two separate occasions.

it's interesting why fulham didn't sign him permanently.   forest are trying to replace a bigger loss thus the despiration

16 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Nat Phillips was pretty decent tbh, way better than I thought he’d be. There was Rhys Williams, Ben Davies (Preston guy - dunno if he ever played for us) and… I forget his name but the shit Turkish lad we loaned in from Schalke that season (Norwich signed him).

But yeah Neco had way more performances for us that were decent to good to very good for us than he ever looked crap for us. And he did well on loan at Fulham.

But no way is he going to start regularly over Trent or Salah.

5 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

it's interesting why fulham didn't sign him permanently.   forest are trying to replace a bigger loss thus the despiration

I think Fulham only signed him on loan in January because their right back who was doing well got a bad injury.

He’s back now so perhaps Fulham think he’s fine for the PL and their money can go to other parts of the squad.

It’s interesting Forest have invested really heavily in their defense. I feel like most sides that come up focus more on the midfield and attack, but idk if that’s true or not tbh. Just something I feel.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think Fulham only signed him on loan in January because their right back who was doing well got a bad injury.

He’s back now so perhaps Fulham think he’s fine for the PL and their money can go to other parts of the squad.

It’s interesting Forest have invested really heavily in their defense. I feel like most sides that come up focus more on the midfield and attack, but idk if that’s true or not tbh. Just something I feel.

Steve Cooper puts huge emphasis on his wing backs with his preferred way of playing which helps explain why they're prioritising those positions given they've lost Spence and Lowe.

• The title was changed to Neco Williams - joins Forest

Archived