talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Andor (2022)

football forum

6 minutes ago, nudge said:

I'm only on the first Season myself, need to catch up... :ph34r:

Ah shit. It was only the matter of time until I accidentally reveal that I'm a time traveler. I thought the IP address from Mars would eventually give it away. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
50 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Episode 6 was really good. Lots of action. I thought it's not going anywhere much plot-wise, but it got really interesting towards the end. 

Hide contents

RIP Nemik.

:( By the way they portrayed him, I knew he was a goner from the start. 

I thought Skeen was just testing Andor, when he asked him to split and bail. So Andor shooting him took me by surprise. Also very curious how and where he ends up, now that he apparently bailed from Vel. 🤔

Also the Eye really was beautiful. And I loved the Tie-Fighters in this.

Just finished watching the latest episode.

I expected everyone except Andor to die during the mission, so I was surprised that Vel (and Cinta, most likely) survived it. And yeah, Nemik was destined to die. He's this young, idealistic proto-rebel that believes in the cause and inspires others to hope. I find it pretty cool that his manifesto will also play a role in transforming Cassian from a selfish bastard into someone who will sacrifice himself for the cause 5 years later.

Oh and yes, The Eye is incredibly beautiful.

Good stuff, this episode was all tension and felt like a movie. So we're 6 episodes down now, that's two story arcs. The next episode will likely start with some time gap.

• Subscriber

Another brilliant episode... 

The character development and world building is just incredible, and it gets better with every episode.

I must say I absolutely love the whole politics angle; whether it's Imperial politics and intrigues, or the internal workings of the Rebellion at the start of its existence - it's probably my most favourite part of the show. Mon Mothma is absolutely brilliant, Genevieve O'Reilly is doing a great job with the character. Luthen is another great one, and I like how through him, they show the dark side of the Rebellion as well - being pragmatic and not caring about people's lives and well-being as long as it's beneficial for the cause. I think we will finally see  the Rebellion split into two main factions later in the series; the more sophisticated, subtle and diplomatic one led by Mon Mothma and her network, with Luthen and his followers taking the more radical path. I think we saw Saw Gerrera in the trailer of this show? That would make a lot of sense, considering his image as an extremist even among the rebel circles. His ideals seems to align with those of Luthen; namely the pretty hardcore "the-end-justify-the-means" approach to fighting the Empire. I imagine Luthen and Saw will join forces and do things that will lead to them being cut off the main wing of the Rebel Alliance led by Mon Mothma.
The inner workings of ISB are equally as interesting, and I am happy to have some very competent, interesting villains/antagonists. I was always fascinated by Tarkin, but the rest of the Imperial officers were generally disappointing, one dimensional, or just straight out inept. Dedra is going to be the force to reckon with for sure. The actress is doing a stellar job... Major Partagaz is another interesting one. Was pretty excited to see Colonel Yularen in live action as well. I wonder if we will see Palpatine in that special session of Senate he was talking about.
Talking about villains, Syril's new job in a space cubicle is pretty depressing xD 

Cassian Andor going on vacation to a beach planet and getting arrested for literally just walking was pretty hilarious... especially considering he just pulled off a massive heist and got away with it. I imagine that Vel will find him and get him out of prison instead of killing him as per Luthen's order.  His last meeting with Maarva was hearbreaking, too.

This is genuinely a top shelf stuff when it comes to Star Wars. Exceeded all expectations already.

22 hours ago, nudge said:

Another brilliant episode... 

Hide contents

The character development and world building is just incredible, and it gets better with every episode.

I must say I absolutely love the whole politics angle; whether it's Imperial politics and intrigues, or the internal workings of the Rebellion at the start of its existence - it's probably my most favourite part of the show. Mon Mothma is absolutely brilliant, Genevieve O'Reilly is doing a great job with the character. Luthen is another great one, and I like how through him, they show the dark side of the Rebellion as well - being pragmatic and not caring about people's lives and well-being as long as it's beneficial for the cause. I think we will finally see  the Rebellion split into two main factions later in the series; the more sophisticated, subtle and diplomatic one led by Mon Mothma and her network, with Luthen and his followers taking the more radical path. I think we saw Saw Gerrera in the trailer of this show? That would make a lot of sense, considering his image as an extremist even among the rebel circles. His ideals seems to align with those of Luthen; namely the pretty hardcore "the-end-justify-the-means" approach to fighting the Empire. I imagine Luthen and Saw will join forces and do things that will lead to them being cut off the main wing of the Rebel Alliance led by Mon Mothma.
The inner workings of ISB are equally as interesting, and I am happy to have some very competent, interesting villains/antagonists. I was always fascinated by Tarkin, but the rest of the Imperial officers were generally disappointing, one dimensional, or just straight out inept. Dedra is going to be the force to reckon with for sure. The actress is doing a stellar job... Major Partagaz is another interesting one. Was pretty excited to see Colonel Yularen in live action as well. I wonder if we will see Palpatine in that special session of Senate he was talking about.
Talking about villains, Syril's new job in a space cubicle is pretty depressing xD 

Cassian Andor going on vacation to a beach planet and getting arrested for literally just walking was pretty hilarious... especially considering he just pulled off a massive heist and got away with it. I imagine that Vel will find him and get him out of prison instead of killing him as per Luthen's order.  His last meeting with Maarva was hearbreaking, too.

This is genuinely a top shelf stuff when it comes to Star Wars. Exceeded all expectations already.

Yea, not much more to add really. Brilliant stuff. 

The interactions between Andor and Maarva were indeed heartbreaking. 

Also Syril in that cubicle was indeed depressing. That he got out of the way for that mouse droid speaks volumes about his character. And the collar thing. xD

The last 3 minutes were a lot to digest. One minute you are in space Miami enjoying your vacation, the next minute you're in jail for nothing. 

This show also shows how vast the Star Wars universe really is.

• Subscriber

Ooooh it's another incredible episode. This show has such a good writing, all the characters have proper backstories and clear motivations, and their storylines are intertwining nicely. There are still 4 episodes to go in this season, and they have already shown so much. If you're not watching, you are seriously missing out. 

That prison planet, the prison complex, and the Imperial prison system in general is fucking brutal and frightening. Such a powerful portrayal of bureaucracy, dehumanising conditions, brutality, slave labour and exploitation. It was honestly petrifying. The aesthetics looked cool though, definitely inspired by THX 1138! Also, I wonder what parts are they working there in Cassian Andor's prison? Bet it has something to do with the Death Star; would be a beautiful connection to him helping destroy it by getting those blueprints on Scarif later in Rogue One... One of the prisoners killing himself was very, very dark. Very unusual for Star Wars, too. 

My favourite part of the episode was Luthen meeting Saw Gererra. That monologue about every other rebels group being wrong and him being the only true one was the best and scariest portrayal of his fanaticism we could ever get. Forest Whitaker is such an incredible actor. He seems to do really great in playing characters like that, too - I can't forget his performance as Idi Amin in The Last King of Scotland haha. Having him and Stellan Skarsgård both on screen at the same time with an exchange like that, damn. Hope to see more of it. 

Dedra must be one of the most fascinating villain characters in Star Wars, ever. A lot of depth, a lot of brain, and the moment you start to think she's alright, her brutal, violent side comes out just at the right moment. I loved her and Syril's dynamic too, and I still think they are definitely going to team up sooner or later. 

Another fantastic episode indeed. 

They really did a great job of portraying that prison planet. At first I felt as confused, lost and hopeless just as Andor. They did a great job of showing that. Him being so confused about the place, about the work, them working so fast, but him having absolutely no idea what they do etc. Phenomenal how they portrayed that. And then yea, it got dark and dehumanised quickly when they skipped to that "30 shifts later" part, with him just being a slave, used to the food etc. I was wondering what they were working on too. At first I thought parts for Tie-Fighters, but

@nudge's theory about the Death Star makes a lot more sense. And it would be indeed poetic if he's forced to help building what he later destroys. 

And there was quite a lot of acting power in this. I absolutely did not expect Andy Serkis. :o And there was also that German actor who was in a James Bond movie just playing another prisoner on Andor's table. The actor's name is Clemens Schick. Just googled him. Definitely a familar face. 

And yea, the scene between Skarsgard and Whitaker was definitely the best part of this episode. Luthen trying to "unite" the rebels so to say, with Gererra being so stuck on his views. Felt a bit frustrating. But absolutely incredible acting. 

I like how obsessed Syril still was about his old job, and the Andor case. It was kinda funny that he was annoying them with his false reports, because of his obesssion. I honestly thought he'd worm his way straight back in, so it was kinda funny how she kept rejecting his help.  And Dedra is indeed a very fascinating character.

• Subscriber

I hate to repeat myself, but it's another great episode, and a brilliant setup for what's coming up next week...

Dr. Mengele Gorst excitedly explaining to Bix that he's about to torture her with the new method which was derived from genociding a sentient alien race and finding out that listening to the screams of their dying children make humans go insane must be the darkest thing I ever witnessed in Star Wars. 

As if that wasn't enough, the prison scenes in this episode have been extremely grim, too. From a mass-murder of an entire prison block to Uluf dying 40 shifts before his release date, to Andor and Kino Loy finding out that nobody's getting out of the prison either way; it's some proper depressing stuff. The ending was fantastic though, after the revelation, it's now clear that Kino Loy has changed his mind and is going to lead the prison break in the next episode, and I bet it's going to be brutal and glorious. In the last episode, we were shown some rebels from Rogue One in the prison, so it explains well how Andor met them and how they will end up fighting the Empire together. 

Mon Mothma's senate scene was epic; I still hope to see Palpatine addressing it at some point, too. Also, Val is Mon Mothma's cousin :o didn't expect that. I thought she's somehow related to Luthen instead. With ISB putting the pieces of the puzzle together slowly, it's going to be intense and nerve-wracking times for both of them. We know Mon Mothma survives, but Luthen is most likely a goner...

Dedra is transforming into a proper evil bitch... The actress is doing a great job, so much depth in the character. 

8 hours ago, nudge said:

I hate to repeat myself, but it's another great episode, and a brilliant setup for what's coming up next week...

Hide contents

Dr. Mengele Gorst excitedly explaining to Bix that he's about to torture her with the new method which was derived from genociding a sentient alien race and finding out that listening to the screams of their dying children make humans go insane must be the darkest thing I ever witnessed in Star Wars. 

As if that wasn't enough, the prison scenes in this episode have been extremely grim, too. From a mass-murder of an entire prison block to Uluf dying 40 shifts before his release date, to Andor and Kino Loy finding out that nobody's getting out of the prison either way; it's some proper depressing stuff. The ending was fantastic though, after the revelation, it's now clear that Kino Loy has changed his mind and is going to lead the prison break in the next episode, and I bet it's going to be brutal and glorious. In the last episode, we were shown some rebels from Rogue One in the prison, so it explains well how Andor met them and how they will end up fighting the Empire together. 

Mon Mothma's senate scene was epic; I still hope to see Palpatine addressing it at some point, too. Also, Val is Mon Mothma's cousin :o didn't expect that. I thought she's somehow related to Luthen instead. With ISB putting the pieces of the puzzle together slowly, it's going to be intense and nerve-wracking times for both of them. We know Mon Mothma survives, but Luthen is most likely a goner...

Dedra is transforming into a proper evil bitch... The actress is doing a great job, so much depth in the character. 

Yup, another great episode. 

I too came here to call that Doctor Mengele. 

xD But yea, gruesome torture method. Dedra was scary as shit in those interrogation scenes as well. 

I felt sorry for Ulaf. :( RIP old timer. And yea, the empire creates it's own rebels with their methods. I think the way how they portrayed Kino's turn was perfect. 

Didn't expect to be revealed as Mon Mothma's cousin as well. 

Also what was that scene with Syril? Was he confessing his love to her? He's stalking her? Proper weirdo in this episode. xD

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Yup, another great episode. 

Hide contents

I too came here to call that Doctor Mengele. 

xD But yea, gruesome torture method. Dedra was scary as shit in those interrogation scenes as well. 

I felt sorry for Ulaf. :( RIP old timer. And yea, the empire creates it's own rebels with their methods. I think the way how they portrayed Kino's turn was perfect. 

Didn't expect to be revealed as Mon Mothma's cousin as well. 

Also what was that scene with Syril? Was he confessing his love to her? He's stalking her? Proper weirdo in this episode. xD

yeah Syril was being a proper simp in this episode

xD creepy af. I bet they are going to end up as a couple though. Very perverse and obscene fascist couple, but a couple nonetheless xD

• Subscriber

Fucking hell, this is the best episode of any Star Wars TV series altogether. Damn, this is the best anything-Star Wars since the original trilogy. Real top notch writing and acting. The monologues. Everything. Fucking incredible.

"And what do you sacrifice?"

"Calm.
Kindness.
Kinship.
Love.
I've given up all chance at inner peace.
I've made my mind a sunless space.
I share my dreams with ghosts.
I wake up every day to an equation I wrote 15 years ago from which there's only one conclusion: I'm damned for what I do.
My anger, my ego, my unwillingness to yield, my eagerness to fight, they've set me on a path from which there is no escape.
I yearned to be a savior against injustice without contemplating the cost and by the time I looked down there was no longer any ground beneath my feet.
What is my sacrifice?
I'm condemned to use the tools of my enemy to defeat them.
I burn my decency for someone else's future.
I burn my life to make a sunrise that I know I'll never see.
And the ego that started this fight will never have a mirror or an audience or the light of gratitude.
So what do I sacrifice?
Everything!
You'll stay with me, Lonni.
I need all the heroes I can get."

Yup, Episode 10 was absolutely incredible. 

Kino not being able to swim was devastating. He was so epic in his role in the escape, and in the end couldn't escape himself. I thought Andor was going to help him get to shore somehow, until he was pushed off. Andy Serkis is a phenomenal actor! 

:( 

The whole escape scene was fucking epic too. Also one of the first times I really noticed the soundtrack. It was very fitting and beautiful. 

And yea, Skarsgard's monologue about his sacrifice was absolutely brilliant (I don't want to overuse epic xD). I didn't think he'd have an inside man that close to Dedra. :o 

I also like how the new prisoner instantly zapped the guard without knowing what the fuck was going on. Just for the hell of it. xD 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Yup, Episode 10 was absolutely incredible. 

Hide contents

Kino not being able to swim was devastating. He was so epic in his role in the escape, and in the end couldn't escape himself. I thought Andor was going to help him get to shore somehow, until he was pushed off. Andy Serkis is a phenomenal actor! 

:( 

The whole escape scene was fucking epic too. Also one of the first times I really noticed the soundtrack. It was very fitting and beautiful. 

And yea, Skarsgard's monologue about his sacrifice was absolutely brilliant (I don't want to overuse epic xD). I didn't think he'd have an inside man that close to Dedra. :o 

I also like how the new prisoner instantly zapped the guard without knowing what the fuck was going on. Just for the hell of it. xD 

The whole prison escape sequence was intense, raw, and nerve wracking. So full of emotion, you could feel it in the air - the doubts, the resolution, the pure anger and will to break free from the prisoners, and the sheer fear from the guards. I think it is extremely hard to make the viewer feel that way, especially considering that we all know Andor survives - and still, even with that knowledge, I'm fully in, captivated by the events on screen and on the edge of my seat, despite knowing the outcome. The writing is phenomenal.

This episode was essentially all about sacrifices. Kino knowing that the prison is surrounded by water and not being able to swim, but still choosing to give it a go to save as many of 5000 lives as possible. In parallel, Luthen revealing his own sacrifice; his life and his decency becoming consumed by his wow to fight the Empire, despite knowing that he won't be there to see the end of it and won't be remembered. I found this theme of "forgotten heroes" very interesting; Andor is the same - he is Kino's inspiration to go for the prison break (and the inspiration of his speech), and then later on in the cinematic universe he dies a hero's death gathering the Death Star plans, and yet almost no one knows his name and the sacrifice he made. Same with Luthen; he's not good at all, but he's necessary - he is brutal, pragmatic, willing to sacrifice people for the cause, and his name will be forgotten just the same. This is very true in the actual history of the mankind, and I love that they exploring this angle of rebellions and revolutions.

Talking about sacrifices, is Mon Mothma going to use her daughter for the good of the rebellion? I think she is. It looks like she's appalled by the offer and is hesitating, but I think in the end, it's what she'll do. As of now, she has been playing it cautiously, but at some point, we are definitely going to see the transformation. It's so cool to see the backstories of such characters; it adds a completely new layer to them.

7 minutes ago, nudge said:

Hide contents

The whole prison escape sequence was intense, raw, and nerve wracking. So full of emotion, you could feel it in the air - the doubts, the resolution, the pure anger and will to break free from the prisoners, and the sheer fear from the guards. I think it is extremely hard to make the viewer feel that way, especially considering that we all know Andor survives - and still, even with that knowledge, I'm fully in, captivated by the events on screen and on the edge of my seat, despite knowing the outcome. The writing is phenomenal.

This episode was essentially all about sacrifices. Kino knowing that the prison is surrounded by water and not being able to swim, but still choosing to give it a go to save as many of 5000 lives as possible. In parallel, Luthen revealing his own sacrifice; his life and his decency becoming consumed by his wow to fight the Empire, despite knowing that he won't be there to see the end of it and won't be remembered. I found this theme of "forgotten heroes" very interesting; Andor is the same - he is Kino's inspiration to go for the prison break (and the inspiration of his speech), and then later on in the cinematic universe he dies a hero's death gathering the Death Star plans, and yet almost no one knows his name and the sacrifice he made. Same with Luthen; he's not good at all, but he's necessary - he is brutal, pragmatic, willing to sacrifice people for the cause, and his name will be forgotten just the same. This is very true in the actual history of the mankind, and I love that they exploring this angle of rebellions and revolutions.

Talking about sacrifices, is Mon Mothma going to use her daughter for the good of the rebellion? I think she is. It looks like she's appalled by the offer and is hesitating, but I think in the end, it's what she'll do. As of now, she has been playing it cautiously, but at some point, we are definitely going to see the transformation. It's so cool to see the backstories of such characters; it adds a completely new layer to them.

Yea, it was amazing that we saw Kino as this tough guy when first introduced, but in reality he was just scared and blindly complied with his captors. Him slowly gaining the courage to rebel, thanks to Andor was great. Just like he was scared to give this speech in the control room, until Andor once again helped him find the courage. It was a great touch that Kino used Andor's words in this speech. 

And at first I felt sorry for Lonni, but then when Luthen delivered his sacrifice monolgue, it really put things into perspective. The man really sacrifices his whole life and everything that he really wants to be as a human being for the rebellion. What a heroic thing to do. That sunrise line reminded me of that “The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit." quote. 

The writing really can't get any better than this. People die of strokes, not being able to swim etc. instead of just fights and blasters. It feels more like... life. xD

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Hide contents

Yea, it was amazing that we saw Kino as this tough guy when first introduced, but in reality he was just scared and blindly complied with his captors. Him slowly gaining the courage to rebel, thanks to Andor was great. Just like he was scared to give this speech in the control room, until Andor once again helped him find the courage. It was a great touch that Kino used Andor's words in this speech. 

And at first I felt sorry for Lonni, but then when Luthen delivered his sacrifice monolgue, it really put things into perspective. The man really sacrifices his whole life and everything that he really wants to be as a human being for the rebellion. What a heroic thing to do. That sunrise line reminded me of that “The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit." quote. 

The writing really can't get any better than this. People die of strokes, not being able to swim etc. instead of just fights and blasters. It feels more like... life. xD

Yes, I love the swashbuckling fun of the original Star Wars, but it's also great to have something as gritty, realistic, and complex as this... They really hit the nail with it. I must say when I first heard that a Cassian Andor TV show is in the works, I wasn't too excited and didn't have high expectations. 10 episodes in, and it's not only on the top of my favourite Star Wars spinoffs, but also in my top 10 of TV series of all-time in general.

Andor > The Mandalorian > Obi-Wan Kenobi > The Book of Boba Fett

16 minutes ago, nudge said:

Reveal hidden contents

It definitely is one of the best Star Wars things I've ever seen. And not one lightsaber in sight. 

xD

• Subscriber

@Tommy

Q: “I can’t swim” is such a heroically tragic moment since Kino (Andy Serkis) led his fellow prisoners to freedom knowing full well that he wasn’t going to make it out. Do you presume Kino was executed shortly thereafter?

A: I don’t know. He’s not dead. Is he dead? I don’t see him dying [in episode ten]. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/andor-tony-gilroy-talks-luthen-rael-monologue-easter-eggs-1235258961/

The whole interview is pretty interesting, but I thought you'd love the above quote especially :D 

9 minutes ago, nudge said:

@Tommy

Hide contents

Q: “I can’t swim” is such a heroically tragic moment since Kino (Andy Serkis) led his fellow prisoners to freedom knowing full well that he wasn’t going to make it out. Do you presume Kino was executed shortly thereafter?

A: I don’t know. He’s not dead. Is he dead? I don’t see him dying [in episode ten]. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/andor-tony-gilroy-talks-luthen-rael-monologue-easter-eggs-1235258961/

The whole interview is pretty interesting, but I thought you'd love the above quote especially :D 

Very good interview. I wonder if we ever hear anything about Kino again. 

🤔

Also his answer about Syril makes me very intrigued about the character's future. 😅

Just watched Episode 11. Good episode, although hard to top the previous one. xD

That droid mourning and not wanting to be alone was adorable.

So Mon Montha did actually sell her daughter off. 

More Skarsgard Whittaker interaction, nice. Also it was nice that Luthen was able to convince him to go along with his plan. 

Luthen escaping from the Imperial Patrol was badass. His ship though, wow. That technology. Just ripped that tractor beam to shreds and destroyed the Tie Fighters with....a lightsaber on his ship? Amazing. xD

Also I was once again convinced that Syril is straight up going to kill his mother. But he just stole credits from her?

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Just watched Episode 11. Good episode, although hard to top the previous one. xD

Hide contents

That droid mourning and not wanting to be alone was adorable.

So Mon Montha did actually sell her daughter off. 

More Skarsgard Whittaker interaction, nice. Also it was nice that Luthen was able to convince him to go along with his plan. 

Luthen escaping from the Imperial Patrol was badass. His ship though, wow. That technology. Just ripped that tractor beam to shreds and destroyed the Tie Fighters with....a lightsaber on his ship? Amazing. xD

Also I was once again convinced that Syril is straight up going to kill his mother. But he just stole credits from her?

I probably shouldn't have watched it half drunk, because i don't remember anything worthwhile xD

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

I caught up while off sick :D just waiting for the final one on wednesday now. I really like the series, I see why @nudge spoke so highly. I definitely agree it might be the best one they've released so far. 

Ok, now go watch 1899 :D 

Oh, and get well soon!

Archived