talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Matthijs de Ligt - Bayern Sign Defender from Juventus

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Incredibly overrated - been poor in Italy. One of those players that got a reputation early because they came through so young and were fully developed but hasn’t really kicked on at all. Seems to make a mistake every time I watch him 

1 hour ago, Storts said:

Incredibly overrated - been poor in Italy. One of those players that got a reputation early because they came through so young and were fully developed but hasn’t really kicked on at all. Seems to make a mistake every time I watch him 

He is also 22, athletic, good at scoring, and great using the ball.

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Spike said:

He is also 22, athletic, good at scoring, and great using the ball.

All well and good but if you can’t defend you’re in trouble. Will be eaten alive in the Premier league.  Same as Pau Torres imo if he comes 

1 hour ago, Storts said:

All well and good but if you can’t defend you’re in trouble. Will be eaten alive in the Premier league.  Same as Pau Torres imo if he comes 

But he can defend, every player makes mistakes. People love Antonio Rudiger but he makes mistakes. So does Trent Alexander-Arnold, so do all players.

• Subscriber
34 minutes ago, Spike said:

But he can defend, every player makes mistakes. People love Antonio Rudiger but he makes mistakes. So does Trent Alexander-Arnold, so do all players.

Agree to disagree. De Ligt is massively overrated imo. Been a real disappointment for Juventus and would struggle in the PL.  

1 hour ago, Spike said:

If Spurs had signed him Storts would have been offering free hand jobs all round for a week... B|

2 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

If Spurs had signed him Storts would have been offering free hand jobs all round for a week... B|

'He is from Juventus so this is obviously Conte's influence with his good relationship with the Juventus board even though they hate eachother but this is mutually beneficial and will result in Harry Kane scoring more goals'

He won Juve’s player of the season last season so not sure how he’s been a real disappointment. 

We wanted Rudiger and Christensen gone before Tuchel. Rudiger then turned into one of the best CBs on the planet and Christensen was being called the Danish Maldini by our fans. Excited to see what he can do with de Ligt should he come 

On 25/06/2022 at 14:23, Storts said:

Agree to disagree. De Ligt is massively overrated imo. Been a real disappointment for Juventus and would struggle in the PL.  

I think out of the many problems Juve currently have, De Ligt is probably a pretty small problem they've had. He's got all the raw attributes to be a top defender - and having 77 appearances for Ajax and 87 appearances for Juve at 22 isn't really indicative that he's been a huge disappointment. He's still got a long way til his peak years and defenders are a position where experience is really vital and younger CBs, regardless of how promising they are, typically do make silly mistakes more often than the more seasoned pros.

I think if he comes to the premier league, he'll probably do quite well - especially in the right setup, and I think Tuchel's tactics would suit a defender with the qualities he has.

Unless he is unwilling to stay at Juventus, they should not even be thinking of selling him. And even then, it's going to have to be at least a bid close to what they paid for him three years ago. De Ligt is already one of the best defenders in the world, and has the maturity to be a captain for the club (and potentially his country) in the future.

WIth Chiellini leaving there is a massive void to fill, on and off the pitch, and I don't see why the man they brought into fill that void would be let go at the same time.

Need to learn to not posting stuff from Simon Phillips. 

Reports suggesting Juve only want Jorginho or Pulisic included in the deal + cash for de Ligt (Ben Jacobs). Pulisic the most likely to leave the club. 

On 25/06/2022 at 22:23, Storts said:

He was very poor in patches of the season, mostly because he was played on the left side of defence, he is incredibly awkward on that side that makes him look extremely clumsy.

On 25/06/2022 at 15:49, OrangeKhrush said:

Dutch players who did well in Eiredivisie have often struggled abroad.   i feel Dutch players are always a gamble.

Depends who you are buying and where they go to, a lot of Dutch players jump at the chance to play for most clubs in England even though it might not be the right suited club but moved due to the wages they will receive. 

On 26/06/2022 at 14:21, Cicero said:

He won Juve’s player of the season last season so not sure how he’s been a real disappointment. 

We wanted Rudiger and Christensen gone before Tuchel. Rudiger then turned into one of the best CBs on the planet and Christensen was being called the Danish Maldini by our fans. Excited to see what he can do with de Ligt should he come 

Ake is linked also,  if De Ligt is played on his preferable side he will be great, I think the move to Italy was a mistake that people told him but due to his agents connections he was always going to end up in Italy. 

51 minutes ago, Panna King said:

Depends who you are buying and where they go to, a lot of Dutch players jump at the chance to play for most clubs in England even though it might not be the right suited club but moved due to the wages they will receive. 

i would agree we have had siem de jong, wjineldum and Anita most recently and now Botman.   Gigi was by far the only success to date.  jenmaat did well and Kluivert was at the end of his career.

1 hour ago, OrangeKhrush said:

i would agree we have had siem de jong, wjineldum and Anita most recently and now Botman.   Gigi was by far the only success to date.  jenmaat did well and Kluivert was at the end of his career.

I think it’s a Newcastle problem not a Dutch problem

You know what other nationality struggles in the Premier League? English players.

• The title was changed to Matthijs de Ligt - Bayern Sign Defender from Juventus

Archived