talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FIGC Approve Scudetto Play-Off

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Interesting. Not sure I prefer it. It puts paid to head to head and GD if it's only the points that are the factor taken into account. 

No doubt it'll be played in China eventually. 

45 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Basically if the top two teams in the league are level on points, they'll have a one off match to decide the champion.

Slippery slope to a top 6/8 playoff system like in Rugby League. Another money grab.

54 minutes ago, Stan said:

Interesting. Not sure I prefer it. It puts paid to head to head and GD if it's only the points that are the factor taken into account. 

No doubt it'll be played in China eventually. 

46 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Slippery slope to a top 6/8 playoff system like in Rugby League. Another money grab.

13 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

Just as Italian football was getting back on the map, it shits itself.

Serie A had this rule up to 2005, although it was also extended to European places and relegation places. So it's the more 'traditional' way of deciding crucial league positions.

It was rarely used. Only once was the title decided by a Championship playoff in 1964, with Bologna defeating Internazionale to win the title. (Whilst that season also had a relegation playoff with Sampdoria defeating Modena to ensure their survival in Serie A).

Since it was changed to head to head being the tiebreaker, it's never been used to decide the title in Serie A.

Yeah, this decision's actually been quite popular from Italian football fans from what I've heard because it was the previous way of determining a champion... even though it's only happened one time ever.

It's already a pretty unlikely occurrence, I don't really see how it could be considered a cash grab or something they'd try to sell off to the Saudis or Chinese for extra money... unless they start going crazy with match-fixing to where they can guarantee a playoff every specific year. And if that's happening, then they've got bigger problems with their football than selling out a playoff match to a country that has no business hosting a title deciding match... the issue then would be the rampant corruption.

It's something they'd previously done before & it seems like it's a popular decision in Italian football, so considering that... I think it's a decent idea from FIGC.

Archived