talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Stephen Caulker opens up about mental illness

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

quite moving to read and even more moving realising there are possibly hundreds of players in similar situations but scared or afraid to ask for help, be it from their own club or other professionals outside of the football industry. 

Sounds like he's taken the right steps in quitting the gambling and drinking. Just hope he continues to get the support required to stay off the wagon and fulfil the position he finds himself i.e. being a footballer and in a fairly privileged position which many people crave to be in. Having said that, he goes in to some detail that it's not all rosy in the world of football and many people take setbacks in their careers too hard and blame themselves for things that go wrong. 

6 minutes ago, Stan said:

quite moving to read and even more moving realising there are possibly hundreds of players in similar situations but scared or afraid to ask for help, be it from their own club or other professionals outside of the football industry. 

Sounds like he's taken the right steps in quitting the gambling and drinking. Just hope he continues to get the support required to stay off the wagon and fulfil the position he finds himself i.e. being a footballer and in a fairly privileged position which many people crave to be in. Having said that, he goes in to some detail that it's not all rosy in the world of football and many people take setbacks in their careers too hard and blame themselves for things that go wrong. 

I think if he stays at QPR, Ollie will be a good influence on him. He may not be the best tactician but he strikes me as somebody who would be sympathetic and understanding in such a situation.

3 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Still a shite defender.

I'm amazed that given all the drink and late nights he played as well as he did in the early parts of his career.

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

I think if he stays at QPR, Ollie will be a good influence on him. He may not be the best tactician but he strikes me as somebody who would be sympathetic and understanding in such a situation.

yep, hopefully. And maybe treat him better than Levy did. 

'In Liverpool I was waking up in the middle of the night throwing up, people were blackmailing me, club owners and bouncers: ‘Pay money or we’ll sell this story on you.’

Happens a fair bit here. 

• Subscriber

Sad read that is. Always used to say he embodied what QPR were about when they were in the Premier League and couldn't believe he ended up at Liverpool.

It's a real knock-on effect from the pressure within the game. Some people, Caulker one, simply aren't made for such competition and pressure (not saying that critically at all), and it's sad.

Archived