talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Jesse Lingard - Joins Forest on a Free

• Subscriber

Seeing us linked with him today. Available on a free transfer but wants big wages.

Another uninspiring link on our side. I know he was fantastic for West Ham on that half-season loan but I just don't trust players like that to come to a squad like ours where there are clearly some characters who lack the proper desire and commitment, and to distance themselves from those characters instead of getting sucked into it.

I wonder what happened to us looking to Europe or South America and snapping up young talent that can be developed instead of collecting Premier League journeymen with mixed track records.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the biggest thing I've realised with Lingard is he's 29. I was shocked at that.

He's going to have one eye on the future knowing this could be his last big contract, 3 years minimum he'll want I'd have thought, and he'll probably be asking for what, £120-130k plus? Maybe even more.

24 through to 32 are probably the peak years of your form as a footballer and we just haven't seen enough of that from him to warrent that kind of pay IMO. Priorities should lay elsewhere for Everton I'd say.

Time isn't on his side and he should be motivated by the thought of playing first team football for his last 5/6 years of his career, maybe make one last big international tournament, but I don't know if he has the right attitude/application for what Everton need, especially if they struggle again.

Still think West Ham will get him tbh, they can also afford for him to be a bit of a luxury and blow hot and cold as they have a better squad, not sure Everton can.

• Subscriber

Been reading he wants £150k/week which is putting West Ham off.

Apparently our new director of football has made it one of his targets to put in place an actual wage structure and with Moshiri negotiating the sale of the club, hopefully he won't go insane and overrule those with actual footballing expertise for once.

Not impossible Lingard could be one of those to go to one of the rich "breakout" leagues where he could probably easily have those demands met. China, Saudi, Qatar, etc.

10 minutes ago, Spike said:

Lingardinho is the future. Just needs more time 

Give him 9 more years and he will finally blossom into the slightly above average player we think he could be. 

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Stan said:

£180k/w :o 

Jeez. No wonder he is still a free agent with those kinds of demands. 

I don’t think you can really take him seriously as a footballer with those demands. Obviously there will be clubs in lesser leagues out there that will pay it. But over a long term period you’d have to question what you’ll get on the pitch because I don’t think it’ll be similar to what he done at West Ham.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Danny said:

I don’t think you can really take him seriously as a footballer with those demands. Obviously there will be clubs in lesser leagues out there that will pay it. But over a long term period you’d have to question what you’ll get on the pitch because I don’t think it’ll be similar to what he done at West Ham.

Agreed. I think these kind of signings might not be a rosy as Forest fans might think.

One of those players that will score on his debut then do fuck all for a few months. 

4 hours ago, Stan said:

Agreed. I think these kind of signings might not be a rosy as Forest fans might think.

One of those players that will score on his debut then do fuck all for a few months. 

You then get the circumstance where the players outperforming him quite rightly getting annoyed by the wage gap.

Yohan Cabaye was a great 'mezzala' for us but he wasn't the marquee signing we anticipated from his Newcastle playmaker days. Breaking our wage structure to sign him caused a domino effect that essentially led to Roy having nothing to maneuver with in the transfer market for years.

Nottingham Forest taking the Fulham approach may look like ambition to there fans but FFP is going to rear its ugly head if they get relegated. Good luck trying to get rid of Jesse Lingard on those wages if he cannot keep you up.

6 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Allegedly Nottingham Forest have offered him 180k a week.

As we've seen with several owners recently, there's a difference between ambition and blind stupidity and I believe we're beginning to see the latter form here.

5 hours ago, Stan said:

£180k/w :o 

Jeez. No wonder he is still a free agent with those kinds of demands. 

How?

How is he demanding that much on the basis of fuck all?

In saying that, Forest have probably answered my question anyway.

The lack of a transfer fee works massively in his favour.

Paying him 180k a week for 3 years would work out to just under £30m.

Paying a transfer fee of £20m and then paying him 75k for three years would work out to be just over £30m.

What we see here is that a club would be getting ripped off either way.

Done deal.

Two things that strike me about this.

Firstly, Lingard must be by far the highest earner at the club. Forest must have smashed their pay structure to accomodate him. What does that do for team morale?

Secondly, he's only committed to a one year deal. He's not in it for the long haul, he just wants a good pay deal and a chance to play regularly to make the World Cup. If Forest stay up or go down, it won't hurt him, he won't be that fussed because he can be in the same boat again next summer, so you'd have to question his desire to be there.

We will see how it pans out of course but I'm very sceptical.

• The title was changed to Jesse Lingard - Joins Forest on a Free
3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

1 year deal is mental, got to have him giving a shit about the future of Forest somehow. He's going to be well paid and probably his heart will only be in it up until the World Cup.

That might suit Forest and be all they need from him. A one year deal from their point of view makes sense more than a two or three year deal. The wage figure is mental if true but I think the length of the contract makes it make a little more sense.

On twitter they're saying he's going to be on £80k a week not £180k a week, so I actually think that's pretty decent for Forest. He'll either reproduce that West Ham form and be a bargain for them in their first season back up in a long time... or he'll be shit and if they go down they won't have to keep paying him or look to move him on.

Archived