talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Women's Euro 2022

football forum

1 hour ago, Reluctant Striker said:

Can't quite decide what it is exactly that makes women's football seem so different to watch. I think it must just be that at the elite level women athletes just are that bit slower, less powerful, etc than men. And it does often feel noticeable.

Sweden should have been ahead when England scored the 1st. But in the 2nd half England dominated the game.

At my stage of life (old even if I was a goalkeeper..) I'll take any England football team winning any tournament.

I've been watching the 10 minute highlights offered, and they're good for 1 thing only, a laugh. 

Very occasionally, a player does something that gets a nod from me (the England keeper making that save against that woefully mishit shot in this case)
But everything in the womens game happens because the defending is so dire. I don't know what it is but the attacking play of womens football is fine, obviously less powerful shots and a fair few more howlers, but passable. The defending is always comical. The girls give the attackers so much space, and then can't tackle either. Every single goal in this game made me laugh at the Swedish keeper and defenders. 

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Wll according to FIFA rules a goal has to be a height of 2.44 mand a width of 7.32 m. So a smaller goal was against the football rules, which in turn means a game with smaller goals would be no football.

If you're willingly change the game you myay as well change the scoring systm by the same logic. since it game played would be no football anyway.

Fair enough, how come women aren't playing tennis to five sets like the men then?

Women can only play up to three sets whilst men can play up to five. 

The game is only changing to suit their needs, it's still football. 

23 minutes ago, Devil said:

Fair enough, how come women aren't playing tennis to three sets like the men then?

Women can only play up to three sets whilst men can play up to five. 

The game is only changing to suit their needs, it's still football. 

Men, who don't like  the women's game for quality or other reasons are free to don't watch it or even laugh at it. Men making proposals to improve it is inheritely patronizing, though.

To be fair to @Devil, all the parameters in football is based on what works for men. Women don't really even have a chance to be as good as men's football as it's designed with men in mind.

There is a legitimate discussion about if equality means the same parameters (that were designed for men) being applied to both men and women or if both genders using what works for them specifically being applied being a better example of equality.

A bit of a lose/lose situation for women. Either you try to prove you can do exactly what the men do and fail because it's designed with men in mind, or you accept differences in men and women which will just result in people looking down on women as being less than when it comes to sports.

3 hours ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Men, who don't like  the women's game for quality or other reasons are free to don't watch it or even laugh at it. Men making proposals to improve it is inheritely patronizing, though.

Can't say I agree with this take at all. If there are issues with it then suggestions on how it could be improved is a natural response.

I'd also argue that in terms of people that have the decision making power to improve women's football, they're probably mostly men. Decisions to promote it more, pour more money into it, show it more on TV, etc. are all decisions that were most likely made by men. Not that it's relevant.

7 hours ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

No, I will watch the games and enjoy them. 

I did say I'd get shot down for my suggestion, I'm fully prepared to take criticism. The women's game is coming on leaps and bounds but it without doubt still has issues with the goalkeeping. 

I really don't see how a slight change to the size of the goals would be met with such negativity. It isn't like I've been sexist in any way. 

People make suggestions all the time for the men's game and it doesn't get as much a negative response. 

Interesting and enjoyable match last night. 

Sweden threatened to open us up last night by overloading attacks down their left on Lucy Bronze's side and this was challenging as Bronze was struggling to get back into position following midfield forays.

Sweden also threatened at corners and stuck a woman on our keeper notice don the second corner th ref seemed to ask the Swedish payer not to impede the keeper.

As this tournament has progressed have been very impressed with Hemp playing on our left, either with her crosses or dribbles on the ball where she draws defenders and then passed to set up as shooting chance.

Mead finished well for that first vital goal, following Hemp's cross from the left the cross comng back from the right found Mead who had time to trap the ball and hit it on the half volley, the Swedes must have been ball watching to give her that much space.

1-0 at half time was a good result, Lucy Bronze's header made it 2-0 and White jumping over the ball probably unsighted the keeper.

Russo's goal was clever I bet those don't come off very often yet it fooled both the defenders and embrassingly for the keeper went through her legs.

Kirby had a better match this time and took her goal well running through the middle and trying to chip the keeper who could only knock it towards goal for the 4th.

I think Germany will win tonight.

Not sure why some people knock the women's game... I think it's very entertaining myself 

I wouldn't agree that we should change the rules for them as it is what it is... That's the game and they are the rules.. At some point in the future they are bound to be playing in the same team as men anyway so it can't be different..  :ph34r:

43 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Not sure why some people knock the women's game... I think it's very entertaining myself 

I wouldn't agree that we should change the rules for them as it is what it is... That's the game and they are the rules.. At some point in the future they are bound to be playing in the same team as men anyway so it can't be different..  :ph34r:

Indeed that already happened, a Bavarian amateur football team had 2 women in their men's team on the pitch last Saturday.

1 minute ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Indeed that already happened, a Bavarian amateur football team had 2 women in their men'S team on the pitch last Saturday.

Then things are moving a lot quicker than I thought... xD

In athletics women do 100m hurdles & they are smaller than the 110m hurdles for men. Women do 7 event heptathlon rather than 10 event Decathlon. But then many other events are exactly the same & there has been talk of changing the different events.

If mixed football develops I'd imagine it could only be like in tennis, or athletics or swimming, etc, where they have mixed teams competing in specific mixed events. No way any of the English women's team get into any Southgate 11 any time soon.

• Administrator
On 21/07/2022 at 23:20, Stan said:

England vs Germany final? 

On 22/07/2022 at 13:30, Tommy said:

That'd be amazing, but I think France will be a tough opponent. Well, if they beat Netherlands tonight, which I think they will. 

@Tommy

:D

Fucking hell. What a game. France always seemed dangerous, especially when Renard went up for set-pieces. But what a brilliant performance once again! Alexandra Popp with a brace! She's amazing. But also a very very strong game from Lena Oberdorf (her brother plays for Fortuna Düsseldorf btw) once again. Amazing tacklings, and brilliant passes that lead to some really dangerous attacks. At only 20 years old too. 

I once again had sweaty palms for 90 minutes. Phewwww. Nobody expected us to get very far in this tournament, and now it's the final vs. England at Wembley. Whatever happens in that game, we played a brilliant tournament. 

Technically Germany and France were miles ahead of Sweden so England would have had it tough either way. 

That German midfield is a proper problem for England, they are so physically strong. 

It's going to be an excellent final. 

Germany will win it for me.

They worked very hard and had done thier homework on France's flair players.

France got lucky with their goal it was a snapshot as they could not create anything and would not have gone in unless the keeper dived for it.

France did improve in the second yet could not land a decisive blow.

England have more goal scorers than France yet think Germany's preparation, hard work and Popp will be too much.

Obviously hope I am wrong.

1 hour ago, MUFC said:

The sooner BBC lose the license fee will be better all around.

Despite no black players being in the first team the commentary is well represented by diversity so why they have to comment on the team is beyond me or do they just like stirring things up?

14 hours ago, Tommy said:

Fucking hell. What a game. France always seemed dangerous, especially when Renard went up for set-pieces. But what a brilliant performance once again! Alexandra Popp with a brace! She's amazing. But also a very very strong game from Lena Oberdorf (her brother plays for Fortuna Düsseldorf btw) once again. Amazing tacklings, and brilliant passes that lead to some really dangerous attacks. At only 20 years old too. 

I once again had sweaty palms for 90 minutes. Phewwww. Nobody expected us to get very far in this tournament, and now it's the final vs. England at Wembley. Whatever happens in that game, we played a brilliant tournament. 

Don't think Germany have conceded a goal yet and in Popp have the best striker by far.

France started well last night and it was Germany having to make back passes and pass it around the back to keep posession and then they slowiy went forward and began to dominate.

Looked to me like Cascarino was marked out of the game with two shadowing every time she was on the ball.

I don't think Renard was used well at the set pieces looks to me like they need to work on that more.

This was a physical match and Oberdorf could have been carded for stopping a French break yet different rules for the woman's game compered to the EPL. 14 fouls committed by Germany to 8 committed by France.

I though France would need to do something different to score and so they did with Diani's goal on 44 mins with an uncharacteristc shot which cannoned in off Frohms. Sadly they could not capitalise  on that despite a gallant effort.

Germany worked exceptionally hard and looked verr organised and Popp scored excellent goals.

26 minutes ago, Waylander said:

Not saying it was, still wouldn't be the first time some people have a hard time recognising respectively accepting satire, they don't agree with or don't like, to be perfectly honest.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived