talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Anthony Gordon - Newcastle Get Ripped off For Average Everton Winger

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Doubt this will happen. Clubs can chance their arm with our financial situation but the Richarlison deal has stabilised that.

I love Gordon and he has a really high ceiling but he's still a raw talent that needs to work on his end product. Spending £35-40m on him would be a major risk for Newcastle. Also, it's not like he's going to push for a move up there when he's at his boyhood club who are already offering him regular first team football. Maybe if and when they're in Europe and/or Moshiri finally manages to take us down to the Championship it's a different conversation.

Gutted if he does leave and the fact there's even talk of Newcastle (Newcastle!) poaching our best players is reason enough to be crucifying the owner, chairman and board.

7 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I'm going to have a sneaky £100 bet that Everton drop. The team has been weakened, they have little money to improve the squad and in my opinion Lampard is a seriously average manager. 

Very good. Now what are your thoughts on Tony Gordon?

• Administrator
56 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I'm going to have a sneaky £100 bet that Everton drop. The team has been weakened, they have little money to improve the squad and in my opinion Lampard is a seriously average manager. 

It's not sneaky any more now that you've told us! 

In a team that is vibrant with a good dressing room and building a team for success Anthony Gordon is almost perfect,  young, skillful, combative with a lot of upside,  35m is well spent here,  it will also weaken Everton big time. 

He and Elliot Anderson will be fun to watch. 

I can't imagine you'd be able to get him for just £35m tbh. I can't see Everton being keen on selling both of the only two players who really looked like they truly gave a fuck about whether the club survived in the same window.

Think it would take a ridiculous fee for them to even consider it, especially considering they're not exactly filled to the brim with great options in midfield.

• Subscriber
27 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I can't imagine you'd be able to get him for just £35m tbh. I can't see Everton being keen on selling both of the only two players who really looked like they truly gave a fuck about whether the club survived in the same window.

Think it would take a ridiculous fee for them to even consider it, especially considering they're not exactly filled to the brim with great options in midfield.

This.

Deal almost dead by the sounds of it. Everton asking for silly money and rightly so. If Newcastle were to meet our asking price for Anthony Gordon, who has huge potential and raw talent but still only posted 4 goals and 2 assists in 35 appearances last season, then they'd be well on their way to becoming the next Everton.

You think you can just go throwing £35m around at risky buys because you've got loaded owners it's not long until you've got the FFP grim reaper knocking on your front window. Personal experience.

• Administrator
12 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

You think you can just go throwing £35m around at risky buys because you've got loaded owners it's not long until you've got the FFP grim reaper knocking on your front window. Personal experience.

Not if they're going to be the most successful club England has ever had within 5 seasons by the sounds of it... 

48 minutes ago, Stan said:

Not if they're going to be the most successful club England has ever had within 5 seasons by the sounds of it... 

man city found the loop hole, the owner injected 600m out of his own wealth to clear debts nearing 1bn.  Person wealth injections are deemed income.   when the new consortium took over they put in 250m over what the club had which was stable wealth.    

the athletic reported around 250m this season to even hit the threshold and we have only spent 30+add-ons since the 1 July roll over

• Subscriber
29 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

man city found the loop hole, the owner injected 600m out of his own wealth to clear debts nearing 1bn.  Person wealth injections are deemed income.   when the new consortium took over they put in 250m over what the club had which was stable wealth.    

the athletic reported around 250m this season to even hit the threshold and we have only spent 30+add-ons since the 1 July roll over

Financial Fair Play didn't exist, or certainly not in its current guise, when Man City did this.

Financial Fair Play also works over a multi-year period of time. You might be able to spend £250m this summer so you're still under the red line over a three year period but then the two years after that, unless your income spikes massively, your spending would have to match the two years before this one, at least to an extent.

On Gordon specifically. I love the lad, I think he'll be great, but he still hasn't really proved it. If I take off the blue-tinted spectacles with which I make my judgement on him and imagine we were looking at a £35m deal for a player from another team who had the same talent, potential and track record to date as Anthony Gordon, I'd be saying that's way too much to be paying for him at this stage. Oddly, though, it's one of those where I'd be pissed off with Everton if we accepted that bid for him because to us, he's absolutely priceless. But this is the main reason the transfer won't happen. He's worth a lot more to Everton than interested parties would (should) be willing to pay. 

• Administrator
47 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

I meant that you think you can rule the football world. I don't see it in the time frame you think. 

I liked Gordon, but he seemed to be more about energy and desire than end product. Energy and desire will probably keep him at a decent level but like @RandoEFC said his numbers weren't great.

You do wonder what they've been doing with his development, a 21 year old who's only had two seasons of mens football? At least that's what Wiki says. Just by comparison Bryan Mbeumo who is only a year older than Gordon has played 3 full seasons for us, as well as 1 season for Troyes in Ligue 2 and more in Ligue 3 for other teams. I look at Mbeumo and think his end product isn't great but he got 8 goals and 7 assists last season which is respectable for a 22 year old in their debut PL season.

Personally think the best place for Gordon to play football is at Everton, a move to Newcastle is just an opportunity to get benched. He needs consistent minutes and to build on what he done last season, the connection with the fans means he'll get more leeway than others and Lampard is proven in trying to bring youth through. Plus I think he's vital in keeping Everton away from a relegation battle, it's difficult to replace his desire for the club and if he can get a 10 goal season then it puts Everton in a good place.

32 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Financial Fair Play didn't exist, or certainly not in its current guise, when Man City did this.

Financial Fair Play also works over a multi-year period of time. You might be able to spend £250m this summer so you're still under the red line over a three year period but then the two years after that, unless your income spikes massively, your spending would have to match the two years before this one, at least to an extent.

On Gordon specifically. I love the lad, I think he'll be great, but he still hasn't really proved it. If I take off the blue-tinted spectacles with which I make my judgement on him and imagine we were looking at a £35m deal for a player from another team who had the same talent, potential and track record to date as Anthony Gordon, I'd be saying that's way too much to be paying for him at this stage. Oddly, though, it's one of those where I'd be pissed off with Everton if we accepted that bid for him because to us, he's absolutely priceless. But this is the main reason the transfer won't happen. He's worth a lot more to Everton than interested parties would (should) be willing to pay. 

since FFP started we underspent the limit for every season, the first two by basically the entire 105m/season.   after 30 June the previous cycle closed where we spent about 35m over but the net profit was around 80m.

thanks to Mike Ashley the FFP was over 200m.   we haven't shown any inclination of acting like Everton did.   For starters appointing a director of football with proven success to handle how each department communicates and does negotiations is paramount.    

the target players we are after are under 24 meaning the hold resale value or be at the club long term.

Gordon is like all players A risk but do you fault our interest in him? is he not better with a lot of potential than Fraser, Almiron and Murphy?

33 minutes ago, Danny said:

I liked Gordon, but he seemed to be more about energy and desire than end product. Energy and desire will probably keep him at a decent level but like @RandoEFC said his numbers weren't great.

You do wonder what they've been doing with his development, a 21 year old who's only had two seasons of mens football? At least that's what Wiki says. Just by comparison Bryan Mbeumo who is only a year older than Gordon has played 3 full seasons for us, as well as 1 season for Troyes in Ligue 2 and more in Ligue 3 for other teams. I look at Mbeumo and think his end product isn't great but he got 8 goals and 7 assists last season which is respectable for a 22 year old in their debut PL season.

Personally think the best place for Gordon to play football is at Everton, a move to Newcastle is just an opportunity to get benched. He needs consistent minutes and to build on what he done last season, the connection with the fans means he'll get more leeway than others and Lampard is proven in trying to bring youth through. Plus I think he's vital in keeping Everton away from a relegation battle, it's difficult to replace his desire for the club and if he can get a 10 goal season then it puts Everton in a good place.

is Gordon not better than Murphy, Almiron or Fraser?

Everton like all struggling teams have players that may not look impressive on goals or assists but deeper metrics show he added value.   its like baseball observers who judge hitters on batting average or pitchers on ERA but overlook BABIP, XBA, OBP, Hard hit%, barels, exit velocity, Swstr%, oZone%, XFIP.  etc.  

43 minutes ago, Stan said:

I meant that you think you can rule the football world. I don't see it in the time frame you think. 

why is it impossible to think the club won't improve over 5 years?  there is also a lot of development off the pitch happening including a new state of the art academy which adds exemptions to the FFP, new sponsors including aramco with a rumoured 105m per season for 10 years basically nullifying FFP.  Adidas are likely to replace castore end of this season.  Castore is like the second lowest kit sponsor.  Under Ashley we had one of the worst sponsorship models due to Ashley taking the money in dodgy contracts that ended up with under 40% of the sponsors going into the club.

it seems like every player we are linked with that may improve the team there is some stupid slap back "how dare we be ambitious", "how dare we improve", "Newcastle can't spend, bring back Ashley, saudiArabia booohooo".  

we have been very cautious in dealings seen in how we told Ekitike to go climb a tree, told Lingard to go wank for 125k a week and told man United to get fucked over ripping us off for Henderson which was Ashworths decision, he cut talks two days after taking office.

19 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

is Gordon not better than Murphy, Almiron or Fraser?

Everton like all struggling teams have players that may not look impressive on goals or assists but deeper metrics show he added value.   its like baseball observers who judge hitters on batting average or pitchers on ERA but overlook BABIP, XBA, OBP, Hard hit%, barels, exit velocity, Swstr%, oZone%, XFIP.  etc.  

Which is why he should stay with them, because he's still in his development years of trying to become a Premier League player and shouldn't move to a club that has the money and will to bench him if he's not getting the goals or assists needed.

1 minute ago, Danny said:

Which is why he should stay with them, because he's still in his development years of trying to become a Premier League player and shouldn't move to a club that has the money and will to bench him if he's not getting the goals or assists needed.

he won't be benched over those chumps.  i love how spurs linked with him is a good move but he will guaranteed sit bench for spurs but he will almost 100% start for us and it's better to be at a club in turmoil.

• Administrator
4 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

why is it impossible to think the club won't improve over 5 years?  there is also a lot of development off the pitch happening including a new state of the art academy which adds exemptions to the FFP, new sponsors including aramco with a rumoured 105m per season for 10 years basically nullifying FFP.  Adidas are likely to replace castore end of this season.  Castore is like the second lowest kit sponsor.  Under Ashley we had one of the worst sponsorship models due to Ashley taking the money in dodgy contracts that ended up with under 40% of the sponsors going into the club.

it seems like every player we are linked with that may improve the team there is some stupid slap back "how dare we be ambitious", "how dare we improve", "Newcastle can't spend, bring back Ashley, saudiArabia booohooo".  

we have been very cautious in dealings seen in how we told Ekitike to go climb a tree, told Lingard to go wank for 125k a week and told man United to get fucked over ripping us off for Henderson which was Ashworths decision, he cut talks two days after taking office.

Nothing wrong with ambition. Never said anything like that. But there's ambition and realism. Maybe you will improve. 

Got no problem with who you've been linked with. But it takes time to build a squad as opposed to a team of individuals. 

No one ever said 'how dare you be ambitious, how dare we improve'. 

My gripe with how you go about stuff is you think every transfer rumour is almost a cert to sign and therefore will almost certainly mean you will qualify for Europa/CL. It doesn't really work like that. I personally don't think you'll make Europe next season as you have suggested. Sorry if that hurts you. 

• The title was changed to Anthony Gordon - Chelsea Have £40m Bid Rejected
  • The title was changed to Anthony Gordon - Newcastle Get Ripped off For Average Everton Winger

Archived