talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Anthony Gordon - Newcastle Get Ripped off For Average Everton Winger

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

Nothing wrong with ambition. Never said anything like that. But there's ambition and realism. Maybe you will improve. 

Got no problem with who you've been linked with. But it takes time to build a squad as opposed to a team of individuals. 

No one ever said 'how dare you be ambitious, how dare we improve'. 

My gripe with how you go about stuff is you think every transfer rumour is almost a cert to sign and therefore will almost certainly mean you will qualify for Europa/CL. It doesn't really work like that. I personally don't think you'll make Europe next season as you have suggested. Sorry if that hurts you. 

the general sentiment on predictions is a top 10 finish and most of us fans think that a 7-10th is very possible with the right acquisitions given we were only 9 points off Man United and by the back end of the season looked the better team on cohesion and quality.   The teams that finished ahead,  Brighton, Wolves and Leicester all within 3 points have not upgraded much so there is no unrealistic expectations to finish in the top 10.     

All our signings have been defensive at this point and while until January defense and Bruceball was our problem,  we also need to sign attacking players,  the latest rumours have us linked to Gordon,  Callum Hudson Odoi and Broja,   would they improve the team over Fraser, Wood, Murphy, Almiron and Ritchie?  probably yes. 

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
3 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

were only 9 points off Man United

This really isn't the achievement you're making it out to be.

Top half is possible for Newcastle but given that you'd have to finish ahead of every team outside of the traditional big six just to get 7th, including West Ham and Leicester, to get into the lowest European spot (provided the usual suspects also hoover up the domestic cups as has become the norm). It's ambitious to say the least.

I think it's fine for Newcastle to shoot to finish however high up in the table they can be finishing. But also having realistic goals for growth is definitely necessary - even if a club signs loads of good players, not all players fit in instantly - not all players end up making it at a club after a big transfer either.

Like @RandoEFC said, there's limited space for European competition and realistically it's not going to be likely, but there's no reason not to hope for the club to be ambitious enough to try for it... so long as that is not the barrier that Howe's going to be judged on his performance over the course of the season. 

He's shown flashes of being potentially a very good PL footballer I don't see this move really being beneficial for anybody. Another year of first team football at a club he's comfortable at will do him the world of good whilst Newcastle are better off signing players with the pedigree to get them up the table as soon as possible.

4 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

The club made a big song and dance about announcing Anthony Gordon's new squad number (10) yesterday so you'd assume they're pretty confident that he's staying.

probably, its quietened on him.   

Everton rumoured to want to buy Broja now, does that mean DCL is out.  for 50m someone else can have him.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

probably, its quietened on him.   

Everton rumoured to want to buy Broja now, does that mean DCL is out.  for 50m someone else can have him.

£60m is the fee I've seen bandied about regarding Calvert-Lewin. I think that would be a huge amount of money for him after the season he just had and to be honest, we should take it. The only thing that holds me back is that in recent history, we get about £20m of value when we spend £60m because of our crap recruitment so looking at it that way I'd rather keep Dom.

We've been rumoured with Broja for a while. I don't think Chelsea are desperate to sell so the fee is pretty steep for his record last season. West Ham are also interested and offer a more attractive proposition than us at the moment as well.

• 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Anthony Gordon - Chelsea Have £40m Bid Rejected

it follows Stavley was at Stamford bridge with talk that we want to loan Gallagher and Hudson Odoi.  We will pay their wages and play them an agreed amount of game time.  Chelsea are not keen to have option to buys and that's fine,  it is a marriage of convenience

• Subscriber

Have to stand by what I said earlier in the thread. Love the lad and think he could become a top player, don't want to see the club selling talent like him. But when you've just finished 16th, you're struggling to balance your finances, and get offered £40-50m for a winger who got 4 goals and 2 assists in 35 appearances last season, it's a bit mad to say no isn't it?

8 minutes ago, Waylander said:

I would be amazed if there is any truth in this, we are loaded in midfield and Gordon is to Everton what Mount was to Chelsea a couple of seasons ago.

It's true, but it's apparently £24m + add ons totaling £40m.

It's a mad scatter gun approach by Boehly. This deal would only make sense if Pulisic, CHO or Ziyech is moved on. Desperately need a DoF in. 

• Subscriber

Hard to get a read on which way this is going. Usually there is a reasonable consensus across the reliable journalists and ITKs but not yet on this one.

Rumours that Gordon wants the move and that he's turned down a new contract are wide of the mark. It turns out that talks opened a few weeks ago but no offer has actually been made yet. He also likes Lampard and is obviously attached to Everton as a boyhood Blue.

The messaging from the club has been slightly odd. Although Gordon is "not for sale" according to some quotes, I do get the feeling that the club is "flirting" with Chelsea somewhat to see if they can get them up to a deal worth something like £50m (after add-ons surely) as they've made two offers in quick succession meaning they're obviously getting enough encouragement that they're close.

We don't need to sell Gordon to raise money to bring in a striker, so we have to see this as a win-win. We either get a good fee for a talent who is many years away from his best level of output, or we keep a promising young player. I remain more concerned about us getting Idrissa Gueye's transfer completed, with the delay over his severance deal from PSG becoming really frustrating now, and a striker, in which department the roulette wheel of who we're most linked with today is currently pointing at Che Adams. Not inspiring but if we have Calvert-Lewin as first choice and Adams second it's a step up from having Rondon as our back-up.

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Needs to be at a club that plays him regularly. 

The obsession with Gordon makes no sense unless there are underlying metrics about his game that Tuchel likes. 

CHO fits our need well,  we need a wide player and he will get the game time,  I just don't think we pay all of that 120k tab. 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/newcastle-target-four-chelsea-players-27753696

I suppose this is not entirely true as you can only loan two players from the same club and outside of Connor Gallagher the others on that list are all risks.   I can however sense that Gallagher and Hudson-Odoi are the most likely,  perhaps one on loan and one permanent 

2 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/newcastle-target-four-chelsea-players-27753696

I suppose this is not entirely true as you can only loan two players from the same club and outside of Connor Gallagher the others on that list are all risks.   I can however sense that Gallagher and Hudson-Odoi are the most likely,  perhaps one on loan and one permanent 

I can confidently tell you that Gallagher isn't going anywhere. Neither is Broja. 

The only youth players up for grabs are CHO, Gilmour, and Ampadu. 

• The title was changed to Anthony Gordon - Newcastle Get Ripped off For Average Everton Winger

Archived