talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Anthony Gordon - Newcastle Get Ripped off For Average Everton Winger

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 23/08/2022 at 16:45, Lucas said:

Everton could buy 3 solid players for Gordon, that makes a world of difference to them if invested wisely.

If I was Lampard I'd be sending the fax/email reply back myself.

Chelsea have completely lost their shit.

you mean they can do what Leeds did.   Leicester should have bailed too but well played to Leeds. 

• 4 months later...
  • Subscriber

Gordon heading up to Newcastle. Seems like a 25m-ish fee with 15m in realistic add-ons. It's not bad for a player who has been poor this season, hasn't even necessarily been starting lately and seems to want a new start somewhere else.

I'm sure he can do quite well with his attributes at a new club with a decent coach and the foundations in place to support player development, the polar opposite of Everton. I don't think we'll particularly miss him though.

That said, with only Gray, McNeil (and Townsend?) as our wide options without Gordon, the club needs to get shit done in the transfer market over the next week.

• The title was changed to Anthony Gordon - Chelsea And Newcastle Linked with Everton Midfielder
  • Subscriber
38 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

I think Anthony Gordon is a victim of Everton's aenimic play and a team that is defending 87min a game. 

He's also been absolutely shite in his own right since the summer when he had his head turned by his agent talking about joining Chelsea to make sure he gets in the World Cup squad after having half a decent season. Everton have been extremely poor offensively but Gray and even McNeil have had their moments.

5 hours ago, Honey Honey said:

I see how he is a good fit for our style of play, but jury is out on whether he's the right level. Time will tell.

Thank goodness he is going to you... his stats make grim reading 

He ranks in the bottom 10% of his positional peers across the 5 major European leagues for assist, shot creating actions, passes attempted and pass completion as well as progressive passes. 

In addition to that... in over 16 premier league appearances this season has lost 63% of his duels and failed to complete 75% of his dribbles averaging 11.9 accurate passes 0.5 key passes and 0.3 interceptions all the while collecting the second highest amount of yellow cards in the league... Tim Sherwood once called him "Disgraceful" but I am pretty sure he was talking about his haircuts.. 

@RandoEFC would be in a far better position to comment though on the negatives and gains of the player.. 

2 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Thank goodness he is going to you... his stats make grim reading 

He ranks in the bottom 10% of his positional peers across the 5 major European leagues for assist, shot creating actions, passes attempted and pass completion as well as progressive passes. 

In addition to that... in over 16 premier league appearances this season has lost 63% of his duels and failed to complete 75% of his dribbles averaging 11.9 accurate passes 0.5 key passes and 0.3 interceptions all the while collecting the second highest amount of yellow cards in the league... Tim Sherwood once called him "Disgraceful" but I am pretty sure he was talking about his haircuts.. 

@RandoEFC would be in a far better position to comment though on the negatives and gains of the player.. 

What a downer.

Guess we'd have to hope for some magic from Howe if this deal happens.

1 minute ago, Honey Honey said:

What a downer.

Guess we'd have to hope for some magic from Howe if this deal happens.

I was surprised at those stats to be honest, I thought he was a much better player than they are suggesting... could be that in a struggling team they don't represent his true worth, In a side fighting at the top of table rather than the bottom he could come good.. 

I can't say I've really noticed what the hype is. It could be playing in a crap team. But then Tim Sherwood did push Grealish at pre-drop Villa & he was showing more good than bad signs.

I can't help but feel the Everton fans swarming his car has played a significant role. Especially so if he did not grow up dreaming of playing for Everton.

• Subscriber

He definitely has some raw ability and could play a role in a decent team with a decent coach. Potentially. 

Like I said though, he won't be missed at Everton and certainly not if we get anything in the region of £35m for him.

All of these players though that have made an initial impact at Everton before stagnating and then bafflingly getting a big money move. John Stones is the only one who ended up becoming a real success and that was after initially having a bit of a dip at Man City. It took Guardiola to get him back on track. Gordon could do well at Newcastle or he might just end up being another Gosling/Rodwell/Barkley.

his stats are a victim of Everton being so bad, he also has produced 13 missed chances that the others couldn't pad his stats.  

for us he adds top endpace and the ability to be more direct than ASM and Almiron.   Gordon linked well with Richarlison, Frank had him play center forward at time and together with the fact that Everton are on pace for the worst attacking stats in premier league history is made the scapegoat.   I won't be surprised if he comes and starts to flourish

12 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Everton really must be kicking themselves for rejecting Chelsea's £50m+ deal for him. Didn't make sense for Chelsea to make the bid, didn't make sense for Everton to reject the bid.

Only offered 35m. Wouldn't go past 40m. 

I'll be surprised if Gordon is there in 2 years time at the rate Newcastle are moving. I just don't think he's much better than what they currently have already.

Unless he starts producing something regularly that I've not seen yet, and in fairness to the lad, he could in a better side, I fear he will have been and gone and flogged to someone like West Ham for a cut price deal.

Newcastle are very much in the early Chelsea stages like when they started buying Glen Johnson, Damian Duff, Scott Parker etc 

They fill a hole for a while and then get turfed out soon enough.

8 hours ago, Lucas said:

I'll be surprised if Gordon is there in 2 years time at the rate Newcastle are moving. I just don't think he's much better than what they currently have already.

Unless he starts producing something regularly that I've not seen yet, and in fairness to the lad, he could in a better side, I fear he will have been and gone and flogged to someone like West Ham for a cut price deal.

Newcastle are very much in the early Chelsea stages like when they started buying Glen Johnson, Damian Duff, Scott Parker etc 

They fill a hole for a while and then get turfed out soon enough.

no body thought joelinton and Almiron had anything yet under the correct environment they are reaching potential.   Longstaff has also started to show the promise from 2 or 3 years back.   

Gordon has shown his potential in some big games including last season's Merseyside derby.  Gordon is a victim of the toxicity around Everton

• The title was changed to Anthony Gordon - Newcastle Get Ripped off For Average Everton Winger

Archived