talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Formula One (The Video Game)

football forum

• Subscriber

Anyone ever played any Formula One games on the PS4 or XBOX? I haven't for a few years but just saw F1 2016 on the PS store for £15 and decided to get it. Enjoyed it so far...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

F1 Championship Edition came with my PS3, and while it's gimp compared to the current game, I really enjoyed it at the time. Was delighted when Codemasters got the deal to start making games again with no releases between CE in 2006 and their first edition in 2010. It was a decent game but heavily flawed, F1 2011 was even worse so I went off getting the games for a few years.

Got F1 2016 for Christmas this year though, which I asked for after getting stuck into Grid Autosport (PS3) and Project Cars (PS4) which rekindled my love for racing games. I haven't really had time/been arsed to play it properly until the last couple of weeks and fuck me, they really have worked on this series, the practice session missions are fun, the AI are actually fun to race against because they show realistic aggression without going too far (generally ¬¬) and stuff like tyre wear and weather changing the track look and act totally realistic. 

As a bit of a purist I waste many hours completing all the practice programmes and running 100% race distance but it really is a rewarding game. I've just restarted my career for the third time because the way the AI are terrible at one circuit then unbeatable at another, which is my only gripe with this game, leaves me struggling to choose between Expert AI (getting into Q3 with my Manor in Bahrain in the second race) or Master AI (two seconds slower than my team mate at Monaco and Baku).

Has anyone else found this? Oddly on every Playstation F1 game I've played Bahrain has always been massively easy then tracks like Barcelona I get raped. On this career I'm using custom setups from online to see if having crap setups at the tracks I do shit on is the problem, if that doesn't even things out I'll just have to put up with it I suppose. 

• Subscriber

Glad others seem to enjoy it. Yes £15 seemed like a bargain to me hence me snapping it up yesterday.

I thought I'd give it a good go before the new one comes out in a month or 2. Where would you say is best to start for a newb who hasn't played it for a few years.. what game mode?  

• Subscriber

Have they not brought out a patch/update for the beginning of this season? 

Ive started my career with Renault. 2 races in and won them both, ive charged the settings after both races though to make it harder, and will gradually keep doing the same. 

• Subscriber

If you can drive consistently and stay on the track you can survive expert on most tracks. 

Had a great race yesterday. Started 16th in China, finished 6th in my Manor. Master difficulty, helped by Massa and the Mclarens picking up damage on the first lap and Ricciardo and both Ferraris breaking down. 

• Subscriber
14 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

If you can drive consistently and stay on the track you can survive expert on most tracks. 

Had a great race yesterday. Started 16th in China, finished 6th in my Manor. Master difficulty, helped by Massa and the Mclarens picking up damage on the first lap and Ricciardo and both Ferraris breaking down. 

Love it. It seems so realistic and after my short time playing this I'm looking forward to the new one.

I will keep upping the difficultly as I go on...

I see J off the old forums (not sure if he's on here)... @Rab ?? Is on this game a lot. Always see him online on it. 

@RandoEFC what console are you on?

4 minutes ago, JOSHBRFC said:

Love it. It seems so realistic and after my short time playing this I'm looking forward to the new one.

I see J off the old forums (not sure if he's on here)... @Rab ?? Is on this game a lot. Always see him online on it. 

Not me!

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, JOSHBRFC said:

PS4 mate. Just had another great race, finished 8th in my Manor at Russia. O hate but love how one mistake can absolutely ruin your race on this. I also had to do a 33 lap stint on super soft tyres while trying to maintain gaps behind me. Car was crying on the last lap but finished 1.5 seconds ahead of Alonso. 

• Subscriber

I was just on pole for Shanghai.. made the mistake of going too far on the tyres. Tire burst... got lucky with how close I was to the pits though. Then there was a safety car... ended up finishing 8th. 

I'm at Renault and beat my first rival - Magnusssen within the first 2 races. Next rival.... Lewis Hamilton ffs??!? He finished 12th but still... :o

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

PS4 mate. Just had another great race, finished 8th in my Manor at Russia. O hate but love how one mistake can absolutely ruin your race on this. I also had to do a 33 lap stint on super soft tyres while trying to maintain gaps behind me. Car was crying on the last lap but finished 1.5 seconds ahead of Alonso. 

Add JSharples18

im not usually on so late but I'm on 2-10 this week and got into a race about midnight and before I know it an hour and halfs gone by.

A 33 lap stint??? Do you play full race? I've only played 25%

• Subscriber
21 hours ago, JOSHBRFC said:

Add JSharples18

im not usually on so late but I'm on 2-10 this week and got into a race about midnight and before I know it an hour and halfs gone by.

A 33 lap stint??? Do you play full race? I've only played 25%

Yeah, as a massive F1 nerd I can only seem to enjoy playing proper length races. It's rewarding to do 60 laps with good pace and no major errors and get the best result possible from your car.

You don't have to tell me how sad I am :D. I'll add you tomorrow if I remember mate.

• Subscriber

Haha I get what you're saying it's just time consuming. i will try that myself eventually once i get as good as you. ¬¬

Have you played multiplayer online? I fancy giving that a try. 

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, JOSHBRFC said:

Haha I get what you're saying it's just time consuming. i will try that myself eventually once i get as good as you. ¬¬

Have you played multiplayer online? I fancy giving that a try. 

No apparently multi-player is unplayable if you just join lobbies because everyone drives like a cunt as is usually the case with racing games online.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

No apparently multi-player is unplayable if you just join lobbies because everyone drives like a cunt as is usually the case with racing games online.

How do you mean? The cream will rise to the top B|

I don't fully know how it would work but we should start a multiplayer season. 

• Subscriber

Sake. Just qualified 3rd in Austria in my Manor. Had a few Q3s and three points finishes in the first eight races which is ridiculously overachieving. I'm tempted to start again and go up another difficulty level but at the same time I don't want to find that's too hard and finish last three times and end up regretting leaving this career.

Why can't there just be a nice balance? First season at Manor I'd expect to beat Wehrlein if I'm driving well and be competitive with the Saubers and Renaults and maybe Haas and Toro Rosso on the easier tracks. Shouldn't be qualifying third ahead of both Mercedes at any track. Hmm...

By the way, I did some googling setups because I was struggling on some tracks and I thought that might be why. I was partially proved right, the setup advice on this link is bang on, made me a bit faster on some tracks but waaaay faster on some others.

https://pretendracecars.net/2016/08/21/your-magic-setup-for-f1-2016-is-here/

I'm not doing the Austrian race now. Starting again on next difficulty up tomorrow unless someone can talk me out of it before I log in xD.

Archived