talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

F1 - 2022 - Hungarian GP - 29-31st July

football forum

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One interesting detail I read on the Dutch version of motorsport.com was that Max said he was originally going to start on the hard tyre, but instructed his team to change course when he was driving to the grid and noticed he barely even had grip on his softs. This was an interesting bit of insight to me because it shows that: 1. Max provides driver input that helps correct potential mistakes if the reality deviates from the team's calculations and 2. Red Bull as a team are flexible enough to alter their strategy so close before a race starts. This, from the outside, seems a huge contrast with Ferrari, who are more prone to rely on their calculations regardless of the on-track reality. From what we get to hear with the board radios, it also seems like Sainz is more able to 'direct' his team when he thinks they've got it wrong.

It just goes to show that you need more than a fast car or a quick driver to contend in a championship across 20+ races, and unless there is some miracle recovery in the second half of the season, Ferrari as a team just aren't at the level of Red Bull or Mercedes this year.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Tommy said:

xD

Also, this woman is boss:

Not the first time she made brilliant calls. 

She deserves a place in the underrated women thread.

• Subscriber
10 hours ago, Panflute said:

One interesting detail I read on the Dutch version of motorsport.com was that Max said he was originally going to start on the hard tyre, but instructed his team to change course when he was driving to the grid and noticed he barely even had grip on his softs. This was an interesting bit of insight to me because it shows that: 1. Max provides driver input that helps correct potential mistakes if the reality deviates from the team's calculations and 2. Red Bull as a team are flexible enough to alter their strategy so close before a race starts. This, from the outside, seems a huge contrast with Ferrari, who are more prone to rely on their calculations regardless of the on-track reality. From what we get to hear with the board radios, it also seems like Sainz is more able to 'direct' his team when he thinks they've got it wrong.

It just goes to show that you need more than a fast car or a quick driver to contend in a championship across 20+ races, and unless there is some miracle recovery in the second half of the season, Ferrari as a team just aren't at the level of Red Bull or Mercedes this year.

Good point about drivers input and contribution to strategy. To be fair to Charles, he said after the race that he wanted to hold on to the medium tires for as long as possible, only to be called in for the hard's. This was the right call but unlike Max who was listened to by his team. The muppets at Ferrari didn't listen to Charles request. Seems like driver and pit wall are out of sync. 

1 minute ago, MUFC said:

Good point about drivers input and contribution to strategy. To be fair to Charles, he said after the race that he wanted to hold on to the medium tires for as long as possible, only to be called in for the hard's. This was the right call but unlike Max who was listened to by his team. The muppets at Ferrari didn't listen to Charles request. Seems like driver and pit wall are out of sync. 

Yeah but as a driver you can also put more pressure on your team when you disagree with their call. Like I remember when Sainz simply refused to pit in Monaco when he thought it was the wrong call. I don't remember who pointed it out but they said that, while Charles is the quicker driver on most days, Carlos behaves more like a team leader, and in my opinion that is not entirely beside the truth.

8 minutes ago, Panflute said:

Also, looking at that footage, is Toto Wolff ill or something? He just looks miserable compared to the 2021 season.

He ran out of Pumpernickel. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived